Ann Arbor area (SE Michigan)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by satuple22, May 19, 2019.

1. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently riding on a 2012 V Strom 650. It’s my second wee, my first one being a 2005. Rode street bikes in Florida, mostly Honda 750 (a 1981 CB Custom, 2001 Nighthawk). Had a Katana 750 at one point as well. Moved to MI to be around the granddaughters and decided that an adventure bike made more sense to be able to take advantage of the wonderful dirt roads found everywhere. Would love to hear which places are must-see destinations around the state. Would also love to find riding partners.
    RedEX likes this.
  2. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    fastdadio and Slick67ss like this.
  3. satuple22

satuple22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To
    Thanks for the tip. They seem to have a great thing going, but more of a dirt bike-oriented group? Riding a wee as I do, you are somewhat restricted as to the type of terrain you can ride on. Are you part of that group? If so, would you share my impression?
  4. rubberband

Oddometer:
    I agree with your assessment, they do usually offer big bike "go arounds" additionally, the Manitou Beach Adventure Series is mostly hard pack dirt... big bike friendly
  5. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    There used to be a fairly active Washtenaw county photo tag thread on here. If you participate in it you would at least get to certain areas close to explore.
    RedEX likes this.
  6. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Pinckney and ride a DR650. I'd be happy to show you some of the prettier routes I've found in the Ann Arbor/Chelsea area.
    RedEX and fastdadio like this.
  7. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    Maybe we should have a meat n greet? This holiday weekend is already kind of full for me. Maybe Sunday, weather allowing? I'll bounce it off of Fastlady, my program director.
    :freaky
  8. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holiday weekend booked for me also. Keep some days open in the weeks ahead.

I don't see an option for private messaging. How does it work on this forum?
  9. fastdadio

Oddometer:
    Click on the name of the person you want to message. A profile window will open, click 'start a conversation'
  10. rubberband

Oddometer:
    Shhhh.... don't let just anyone know about the amazing roads in the area.... nothing to see here... move along.
    fastdadio likes this.
  11. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My lips are sealed heretofor!
  12. mr.awesome

mr.awesome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not far from AA is stockbridge. There is a great motorcycle show there in two weeks. Well worth the ride over. Unfortunately I will not be in town for it this year. On the plus side, I'll be in WV with the KLX. http://bmwtcd.org/event/stockbridge-all-clubs-day/
  13. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how long the Stockbridge thing has been going on, but I'd never heard about it until I stopped at a downtown diner for lunch the other day and saw the flyer. I'm only 15 miles away, guess I'll have to start paying attention.
  14. DRZero

DRZero n00b

Oddometer:
    Satuple,
    Head west down US-12. Once past Clinton you can hardly go wrong exploring the Irish hills area.
    There are a lot of must see places in Mi. What are your interests? Might help narrow things down and get the suggestions flowing.
  15. fastdadio

Oddometer:
    PM me if you go, maybe I'll tag along. I've been to it several times. A lot of nice bikes to look at.
  16. rowe748

rowe748 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are there any decently twisty roads in this area? Having recently moved out from the Northeast I'm finding the (road) riding to be pretty boring. I'm in the Rochester area which probably doesn't help much, but I've done some exploring out the Ann Arbor way and it seems better. Just not sure where to focus on.
  17. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Huron River Drive North out of Ann Arbor all the way to North Territorial is nice along the river.
    There are a lot of curvy roads paved and unpaved around Hamburg, Pinckney, Dexter, Chelsea area. You can fill up with gas and go explore. If you get lost, there is always a N/S or E/W paved road every 5 miles or so.

The area south of Ann Arbor is nice too. Milan, Macon, Clinton, Tecumseh, etc.

JT
    RedEX likes this.
  18. rowe748

rowe748 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve done the Huron river ride out to Hell and it was pretty good. Was curious what else is out there. Prefer paved, but I’m ok on unpaved as well.
  19. mr.awesome

mr.awesome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waterloo rd and Seymour Rd are two of my favorites out that way. Nice scenic roads with a good flow to them. Plus Seymour was completely repaved last year. I'll probably head out that way one more time this season. If your interested in tagging along shoot me a pm. I'm in the Metamora area.
    RedEX likes this.
  20. DRZero

DRZero n00b

Oddometer:
    Compared to the northeast we have no good roads. There are some roads that are better than others, most of these in southeast Michigan have been mentioned already.
    Head to southeast Ohio for the closest roads that will compare to what you’re used to.
    RedEX and Branchbuster like this.