Ann Arbor area (SE Michigan)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by satuple22, May 19, 2019.

1. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along Supporter

Oddometer:
    Struggled with the balance beads but once I went back to traditional balance, all is well. K60 on the rear and Mitas E 07 Dakar on the front. Stiffest sidewall ever. Feels like a solid rubber tire with 28 psi in it.
  2. The_Westerner

The_Westerner n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the forum here. I live in Pinckney/Hamburg and ride a 2012 VStrom 650 ADV and a 1996 DR350SE (used to have a ‘71 Honda CB500 too.) I’ve lived in the area going on 3 years now (wife grew up here) and I’ve done the Hell and back ride a few times but, most of my miles are done commuting to Wixom. I’d like to find some local riding buds to help me justify keeping the DR as it hasn’t gotten much use this year after buying the wee aside from a single MCCC DS ride. I wouldn’t mind meeting up to help turn a wrench or have a beer.
    EA9E2858-CF1C-46A1-B49A-E1F4D5A6C35C.jpeg 9C146778-0E13-43C5-852A-4EEFA81EE575.jpeg
    RedEX and simbaboy like this.
  3. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Pinckney as well and would be up for a ride as soon as this blasted rain quits. I have a 2017 DR650.

Fastdadio might be persueded as well.

PM me.
  4. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know it's short notice, but if anyone is interested in a day ride around Livingston/Washtenaw county tomorrow (Saturday, Oct 5th, 2019) meet me at the Pinckney Railway station at about noon. The Railway station is located on D-19 several blocks north of downtown Pinckney. It looks like it will likely be a gray day but no rain in the forecast, and the temperature will be about 60 degrees. I'll be going regardless, but I wouldn't mind some company.
  5. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's turning out to be a cooler, breezier day than was forecasted yesterday.

I am still gonna go to the railway depot in Pinckney to see who shows up. I'll be there at noon on my DR650.
  6. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobody else showed up but me and Fastdadio. We had a great ride on the multitude of dirt roads criss-crossing the area.
    Some of the highlights:
    1. We saw a big ugly snake sunning himself in the middle of the road. Don't know what kind it was but Fastdadio took a picture and will try to identify it. It's head was triangular like a viper but it had no rattles. I'd guess it was 24-30in long and pretty fat, with a slender tail. It had a brown diamond pattern along it's back. We shooed him off the road so he wouldn't get run over.
    2. Fastdadio rescued a turtle crossing the road.
    3. We had to slow down dramatically to allow some deer to cross the road in front of us.
    4. I nearly got beaned by a turkey flying across in front of me.
    5. Then we had a soda and a snack at the Hell Hole in Hell, Michigan.
    There's not gonna be a lot of temperate weather remaining in the season. I'll post here when I plan to do some riding, maybe more of us can hook up.
    RedEX and fastdadio like this.
  7. The_Westerner

The_Westerner n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed your message, Jmarkwolf. My introduction may have been a little ill-timed as I don't think I'll have time for any social riding for the rest of the season. I'll keep an eye on this thread going forward. Looking forward to meeting you guys in the future.

- Eric
  8. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    Bad timing for me as last weekend was the GLDS Toys For Kids ride in St Helen. Had a good time while dodging most mud holes and was able to keep it upright so that’s a win for me. Only saw one deer up close that a poor woman hit going the other way. Totaled her S10 I’m afraid. Keep posting the next ride timing.

Attached Files:

9. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    Local as well... missed the above ride... was South running the KAT Oct 3-7... next time I'll be there.

IMG_3242.JPG
    RedEX, pmillar and fastdadio like this.
  10. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shoot - wish I had found this thread before I sold my plated TTR250 a few years back.

For road bikes, I ride my '73 Guzzi now for longer rides. Most of the time I bop between home and A2 or Dexter (I live in between in Loch Alpine) on a Vespa. The old sport bike (original owner '97 Suzuki TLS) has been parked in my basement for a few years since a speeding ticket on Huron River Dr. Besides, it's difficult to (safely) enjoy a sport bike around here... especially after living in socal for many years.

Anyhow - everyone enjoy what's left of the season. This week has been nice. FWIW, I pretty much just ride mountain bike trails this time of year. (DTE trails north of Chelsea are excellent for anyone that's interested... just be prepared for some climbs on anything aside from the green trail)

Pete
  11. rubberband

Oddometer:
    Gonna a be pretty darn nice on Sunday the 20th... just saying...
  12. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreement here.

I plan to ride both Saturday and Sunday.

I'll stop by the Pinckney Train Depot (on D-19 a few blocks north of downtown Pinckney) Sunday at noon and see if anyone shows up.

Could do the same Saturday for anyone that can't make it Sunday.

I'll be on my DR650.
    rubberband likes this.
  13. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    I’ll meet you on Sunday on my Versys 300.
  14. rubberband

Oddometer:
    I'm a maybe... Wife wants to go out and ride as well, and that does not happen often enough. If so we'll be out and about at a slower pace on same/similar roads. If she bails, I'll be with you all lowering the group IQ by double digits.
  15. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had a pretty good turn out at the Pinckney Train Depot. See pic below.

5 of us all together. Nobody wanted to be identified. Something about their pictures already hanging at the post office.

We made our way to Dansville via nearly all dirt roads. Some of the party departed in Dansville, the rest of us had a snack at the Wooden Nickel. We made our way back via the scenic route. A great time was had by all.

The leaves are beginning to turn, but there is still plenty of green on the trees. If the weather holds out there might still be time for a ride or two yet this season.

20OCT19_meet_at_Pinckney_train_depot.jpg
  16. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    Had a good time. Thanks for posting the pic.
  17. rubberband

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the time I had to ride with you all. Was back home by 2:20, gathered the wife and headed back out. Headed north /west in hopes of running back into you all... did find abandoned golf area, just south of 96
    59F7CB30-3C8D-4CF0-81B4-40D7CF0F39EB.jpeg 97C3A81F-D2FA-477A-9287-8699A2190A97.jpeg AF1BBB88-69ED-49BF-AFD4-71BDF506E1A8.jpeg
  18. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:

Last time I went out for a gathering with Fastadio I just about got killed by a pickup truck driver in Brooklyn, MI back in 2012. I was living in Mason at the time so all those roads were my backyard then. Up in Branch ,Michigan in Lake Co. now. Plenty of great roads up here. Still riding same bike I got hit on and also have a 2013 KTM EXC500.See some hilly country up here...gat away from the flatlands...
  19. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, It is Branchbuster now. Moved to Branch in 2015, and I do bust off an occasional Branch.... So. How are you doing ? Your memory is still good. Now the roads have numbers like FR5196 instead of names. Live right dead in the middle of the Manistee National Forest.
  20. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes I still go to NM from Jan 3- May 15 each year. Get my desert riding in part of the year, trees and lakes the rest. You will like retirement, especially if you ride in other states and just keep busy. I actually sold a DRZ 400 to buy the EXC 500 in 2013. It has been a great bike. As for riding, I pretty much stick to 2 tracks nowadays as well. Also gravel roads, twisty blacktop. Been doing some "Rallies" like the LooseNut to ride in some other states as well.Fun to see other places.