Ann Arbor area (SE Michigan)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by satuple22, May 19, 2019.

1. Micky99

Micky99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the area by way of work. Temporary relocation from FL. Have my bike here. Would be interested to meet and ride non-freeway blacktop and light offroad. Never rode much offroad, I was mostly on sportbikes until getting an ADV bike now. Come Spring maybe I could join in.

Micky-Misha
  2. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the area. We’ll most likely be doing some weekend dirt and gravel road rides in the spring. Stay tuned. What are you riding?
  3. Micky99

Micky99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That'd be cool. I have a KTM 1190R. I may get a lighter 250/350/400 dual sport if this proves to be too much to handle. I mostly tour with this and occasionally cut through dirt roads to avoid traffic.
  4. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the area.
    Might want to look here for some ride opportunities. http://www.gldsmc.com. Good group.
    More off road DS bias but they also do ADV rides. They have not posted 2020 ride schedule as yet.
    Hope to see you around.
  5. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    That will work fine around here. With little experience in deeper sand it wouldn’t be much fun learning on if you run the GLDS adventure routes up north.
  6. Micky99

Micky99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I have seen one other KTM 1190 in the area and one 950/990. I'll wave if I spot the HP.

The number 1 thing I hate is sand. It gets everywhere and is a PITA to remove. That's the thing I will avoid.

Hope to see you guys in the Spring.
  7. hoebster

hoebster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everybody, I am currently living in the greater Seattle area and making slow plans to
    move back to the Midwest area. I am originally from the Toledo-Bowling Green area of Ohio and been out here since 2006.
    Wife and I are looking at homes from anywhere between Ann Arbor to Northville up to Lake Orion. It may be by the end of the year, but with this Covid Crap, who knows.
    We haven’t even listed our house and the condo we own, but with the market good here selling won’t be a problem.
    I want acreage, she wants neighborhood and excellent school ratings for my fairly young kids 9 & 4. Well I too want the schools!
    Wife needs to be fairly close to Dearborn where Carhartt corporate is located. We aren’t being made to move, just wanting to get a newer house for cheap! It is going to be hard moving back there as I will miss the riding here and easy mountain forest service road riding! We are looking in the range of $400-600k in order to have little to no mortgage. Seattle house market has been great over the past ten years!

So, with all that info I will be needing to have a riding outlet of people. Oh, I already have my son on a Yamaha PW50 for over a year now with training wheels. Just this past week he started riding a bicycle without training wheels, so I know trails won’t be that far away!
    I currently ride an Africa Twin coming off a Yamaha Super Tenere. I have ridden lots of the Washington Back-Country Discovery Route as well as most of the IDBDR. Yep the mountains will be hard to beat!

Attached Files:

8. chris1044

chris1044 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Acreage & Schools = Chelsea, Dexter, possibly Webster twp / Brighton / Saline. All cities within commuting distance from Dearborn - Dexter/Chelsea probably easiest due to straight shot across 94. Lake Orion to Dearborn = Hell = Easy 2 hour commute in rain and snow. Don't let the map fool you! Dexter / Brighton to Dearborn is a 40 minute commute in traffic; Chelsea is probably the same plus 10 minutes depending on how the idiots decide to drive. I would do what it takes to avoid Wayne county as the taxes are high and the return sucks. Oakland county taxes are going to be next highest followed by Washtenaw and then Livingston

I don't think Northville would have acreage at the price range you're looking for - We'll see what the great plague does, but currently mcmansions on .25 acre's are 650K in that area. Plus, there's a dump west of town, so make sure you're not anywhere near that - I commute down Beck and frequently smell the thing on my way into work. Makes me laugh when I pass million dollar houses and all I smell is the dump lol. Google 7 mile and beck, turn on Satellite view and head west. There are literally houses in this area - north of 7 mile - worth several million bucks. There's are several subdivisions going in south of 7 mile / east of Napier with starting prices at 750K - and they smell methane 24/7. Maybe it's for you...not for me.

Riding here will suck compared to where you're coming from, but if you are OK with dirt roads it's not bad. There are plenty of places west of metro D and Ann Arbor that keep it interesting...up north is OK, but again, nothing to compare to mountains.
    RedEX likes this.
  9. hoebster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. We will consider all possible options! This virus thing is making everything crazy!

Jeff
  10. Winger77

Winger77 Just caught the bug

Oddometer:
    Hoebster, good luck with the upcoming move, excitement and anxiety wrapped into one time consuming project! Lots of great advice by others, also lots of questions come to mind for me... mostly about your interests as a family and your lifestyle ambitions. For instance, desire for a neighborhood with sidewalks... vs a rural homestead with a pole barn for your 52 inch John Deere and other toys. Would living on a lake interest you, or perhaps in the midst of a cute village with seasonal parades and traditional midwestern charm? Oh, and the work commute... what would your wife consider a reasonable distance or time of travel on a normal day?

Although not highly regarded by other parts of the country, SE Michigan has some very nice areas to settle in for a few years. Feel free to reach back out when you’re getting serious, I’d be happy to point you toward some cool areas to explore given your interests per above. In the meantime, I’d 2nd the advice from a prior post and take the norther suburbs off the list... and perhaps look mostly to the west.
    pmillar likes this.
  11. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    If your wife can live with about an hour commute, we are working on clearing out my late father in laws place. 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch with full basement on 3 acres near Grass Lake. 30 X 52 pole barn with 13’ sidewalls. Would be well below your budget. Needs some cosmetic updates inside like flooring and the kitchen is original from about 1990. New roof a couple of years ago in the house. Barn roof is probably due soon.
  12. DeansZG

DeansZG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    noticed on your post that you were looking n.w. of the Dearborn Carhart campus.... Is there a certain reason that you're searching that direction? One of your criteria was acreage....so.... you might want to look in the northern Monroe county area also. Cheaper prices for the same abode. Carleton, Newport, & Frenchtown twp. is also an EASY 20-30 minute commute (low traffic volumes too) north into Dearborn. Majority of Monroe county is still largely agricultural. Plus, your taxes & insurance are cheaper. Just a thought....
    good luck in your search...
    As for the 2-wheeled adventures here, the Waterloo Rec Area west of Ann Arbor has a few roads to explore, but you'll need to head to northern Mich to get any REAL decent riding here in the Mitt, southeastern Ohio has the Trans Ohio Trail along w/ a plethora of curvy ribbons of blacktop & is 3-3.5 hours to the southeast but nothing comparable to the mountainous stuff in your current area....
    RedEX likes this.
  13. pmillar

pmillar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of good input so far. Feel free to reach out if you want input on Dexter schools. I live between Dexter and Ann Arbor. Dexter schools, A2 address. You won't get a pole barn in my neighborhood, but it contains a variety of housing (not built by one developer) with plenty of natural open space. There are plenty of good school districts plus a few you want to know what you're getting into. I don't think I saw Saline mentioned (just south of A2, with good fwy access, excellent schools, etc.). Personally, I prefer A2 and west (Dexter, Chelsea...)
  14. hoebster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses. I will try to get back to each one in the near future.

Regards,
    Jeff
  15. hoebster

Oddometer:
    1A331852-8D8C-4186-8480-11255BA8A802.png
    Well, I surely appreciate the offer! Wife doesn’t want to have to upgrade or modify anything really! Picky sure, but who isn’t when picking a home? I don’t mind fixing stuff here and there, it just is so much harder in time allotments with young kids and school activities!
    Here is a pic of something which has caught our eye in Okemos. It is barely 3 yrs old spacious, modernized 2.50 acres, at end of a small estate type development bordering a woods!
    We doubt we will land this in time, as it’s going to be another 6 weeks till our house is even on the market!
  16. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    I understand how spouses can be with particulars. We’ll most likely be doing the flooring upgrades before we put it on the market. We might be able to work with you on additional requirements if you don’t nail something down. 922BE946-42EA-497D-A62D-2BC6467E6E29.jpeg
    C42D116A-3F28-4A05-BAE0-52FBCE6E6B29.jpeg
    0EFBD228-8ACE-40AF-85EF-C294BD0F1A24.jpeg
  17. Jmarkwolf

Jmarkwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, 'nuff real estate talk.

Who's ready to ride?

'Course we'll have to maintain 6ft of separation! :)
  18. hoebster

Oddometer:
    I am ready to ride, but not until my house is fixed and ready to be put on market! I am getting closer each day! 0FDF4001-0DDB-4B9E-BEC1-DA552302901D.jpeg
  19. Winger77

Winger77 Just caught the bug

Oddometer:
    So tomorrow is going to be a great day for exploring A2 / Pinckney area. Anybody out there recommend a lunch stop (deli style) with outside seating - but no, not Z’Mans? Or who makes a great Sammy in the Pinckney / Dexter / Chelsea area - something I can take to go? I’ll find my own seat during my journeys. If you’re thinking likewise, I’m all for a meet and ride. Dan
  20. chris1044

chris1044 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mikes Deli in Chelsea is pretty good...not sure about hours now that we live in odd times.

Awesome weekend for riding!