annoying pop ups or virus??

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by wellcraft, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
  2. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
  3. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few paragraphs from their terms come to mind on that

FB8D0461-7FAB-40F6-8014-35B7440EDF50.jpeg

FB8D0461-7FAB-40F6-8014-35B7440EDF50.jpeg 2F4D5B80-5A7D-4CB1-9FAC-36A8179638C3.jpeg

If someone has truly original content they never want to lose control over, never upload to any of these hosting sites.
  4. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
  5. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I read the links work because of a work around, not because of the kindness of photo buckets heart. Sounded to me like a Temporary solution.
  6. Switchblade315

Oddometer:
  7. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm reading diligently and trying to understand. I know the Photobucket guys as they have pitched to us at SmugMug to buy them. We didn't because the expectation of their customers is they should get free hosting and linking to outside sites like forums. I could see from their financials that it was too expensive to maintain. So they shut that off as a matter of survival. As the press release that you linked shows, it crushed their brand to have forums all over the web suddenly stop serving Photobucket images.

When Photobucket stopped serving external links, my inbox lit up. When people came to ADV and saw broken ride reports, most of them didn't know to blame Photobucket, they assumed it was our problem. In time they would push back on me and ask why it's not a problem on other forums. In the beginning, I simply responded that it's an easy fix — just pay for Photobucket — but that triggered people to lose their minds with rage.

I hang out on The Admin Zone (forum owners) and know a fair number of owners, like Andy from South Bay Riders. He developed a plugin to sell to other forum owners to essentially do what Rudy has just done, but he did it a couple years ago when the problem started. Most of the other good forum owners followed suit but they, like Andy, were ad supported and had enough resources to do it. Honestly, I couldn't ask my family to keep supporting ADV at an even higher rate and do all the engineering work it required for the limited (but greatly appreciated) donations we were seeing. So, while thousands of forums took action and their users appreciated them for it, we were left with broken threads all over the site and complaining users. When I had lunch with Andy from South Bay Riders, he pressed me about it, rightly observing that it made us look terrible. He offered to help but I didn't think we could pull it off.

From a Photobucket perspective, none of the thousands of forum owners who took the action heard from them that I know of. Photobucket even stopped responding to me. The forum owners seemed to interpret their terms as allowing it and Photobucket was so close to death from external linking, this lifted some of their operational costs and lessened the crushing of their brand from people who were raging about it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say they fixed the problem. People still have to pay or be limited to 250 watermarked photos, right? We spent two years hoping people would fix the problem by paying so we wouldn't have to assume their storage and bandwidth costs. I think two years is long enough to let this fester.

I also don't understand the concern about deleted photos. We enable you to edit any of your posts on ADV so if you change your mind about displaying one, no problem. Is the argument that because someone might want to do that sometime, we should let the other 3 million images not display? Let me know what I'm missing because if there's a legit concern I'd like to do something about it.
    ozmoses, Blue Mule and Rudy like this.
  8. Baldy

Oddometer:
    @larryboy , I can't tell you how soul-destroying it is to spend the untold hours I personally have fixing these problems because distraught inmates had ride reports they spent hours on go poof.

For example, this week we got a complaint via the contact us link that this awesome ride report around Iran lost its images:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/take-the-wrong-way-home-iran-2017.1260762/

So I contacted Harti, the author of the report, and he responded like almost everyone always does: oh my God, I had no idea, I put so much effort into that report, how will I ever find the time to restore it?

So I did it at my expense and host the images in my own account on SmugMug so thousands of people could enjoy Harti's ride. Only to be told no one ever asked for this ever.
  9. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I for one am very glad rider reports are being restored to the former glory. Keep it up gentlemen! :clap

Not to :dhorse; but when will someone set up a PayPal account as was promised quite some time ago....?
  10. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter

Oddometer:
    saw that coming :)... I promise it will happen we just prioritized a few things and frankly I need to get the shirts finalized for everyone that already signed up. so the good news is when we get PayPal sorted out you'll get the shwag right away.
    Bruincounselor likes this.
  11. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Issue with deleted photos is that some aithors have deleted them on purpose and do not want advrider to getbthem back.
    You mention ride reports, but for me it is worse with `how to fix ....`.
  12. Rudy

Oddometer:
    Deleted photos were not ones that could or would be retrieved. They were already deleted on photobucket.
  13. Baldy

Oddometer:
    I know of a few cases like that because people have reached out to me about them, and I could well understand where they are coming from. All the cases I'm aware of were photos that we used to have in the rotation on the home page. It was usually that someone was pictured with an old boyfriend or girlfriend. I always deleted them on request.

The situation with the home page is I was storing the photos to get them to work in the slide show, so they didn't have a way to delete them if they no longer wanted us to display them. That was probably the biggest thing that got me to stop hosting home page photos, it just got exhausting when someone had a breakup and wanted their photo off the homepage asap. In ride reports and how-tos, you can delete them yourself at the image host or edit your ADV posts.

The 99.9% use case, however, is someone like Harti closes their account or deletes some photos on their host and doesn't realize it will break their posts on forums, which they never intended. As ADVrider gets close to 2 million visitors a month, it affects a ton of people.
  14. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 million? :eek7

I've thrown this out before, out of shear curiosity, do you guys have a handle on user stats?
    unique visitors, daily visitors, profiles of user stats?
    i'm curious who the "typical" ADVer is, what their habits are, where they spend time, how much they post.

Being that i'm more of a hands on, meatspace, rally rat... I have perceptions of who I think we are.
    My guess is my perceptions are FAR off from reality.
  15. Blue Mule

Oddometer:
    Get PP set up and ill be like this...

[​IMG]
    =o&o> and Baldy like this.
  16. Rudy

Oddometer:
    we're pretty basic in that sense, we really don't track much user specific behavior. Average duration is well over 5 minutes which is about the same across signed in users and search so the site seems pretty sticky for those visiting via google search but we do get the complaint that some things are hard to find so probably we need to look into better search and maybe a better feed that's personalized based on interest.
  17. Baldy

Oddometer:
    It's funny, we do watch metrics like unique visitors and time on the site, but I feel like the blind men who each touched different parts of the elephant and made different conclusions about it. I'm constantly surprised by touching another part and discovering the elephant wasn't what I thought it was, like when I showed up for the Wisconsin rally and it wasn't at all like what I expected.

For many years I believed ADV would do a long, slow fade starting any time now. I think it was because I'd hear from the unhappy inmates out of proportion from the happy ones. For example, when we experimented with likes, some people hated them and I heard a lot about it. The fear was likes would make us become a popularity contest like Facebook. So after a few months of trying, we shut them off. Then we quickly heard the other perspective, that they reduce the fluff posts because people can just tell you they liked what they said via the like feature instead of having to write "way to go" posts.

The stats say for the month of January, 2018, there were 273,292 likes. By September, there were 462,757 for the month. The growth was pretty linear, no spikes. Some people still don't like them. I understand and respect their point of view, but it seems to me the masses have spoken.

I have to imagine that when someone searches Google for riding motorcycles in Iran and they land on Harti's report, it's better for them and Harti to display the images he worked so hard to post when he wrote the report. We are seeing a record amount of activity lately, so maybe restoring images helped? Some people will see that as commercialization, but I see it as just doing the decent thing.
    Dracula, torch, =o&o> and 6 others like this.
  18. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:

Like.

*edit* to add enjoying the link to Cake.
    Rudy likes this.
  19. Blue Mule

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    torch likes this.
  20. Shaft

Shaft counting my blessings

Oddometer:
    @Rudy

The popups are back.
    Disco Stu likes this.