annoying pop ups or virus??

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by wellcraft, Nov 12, 2018.

1. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    What are the reasons?
  2. prima19rider

prima19rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the same boat been hijacked several times, once more and I will be gone.
  3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I haven't had a problem with these issues with ADV. I rarely access with my phone so I don't know if it would have problems.

There have been a few times over the years I have thought of leaving ADV over things taking place in some of the threads. After thinking hard and long about it I realized what I have received from being a member of ADV far out weighs any of the negatives. The friends I have made are priceless. I have learned to stay away from thread and areas that annoy me. If I wander into something that the subject gets me annoyed I don't engage. It's not worth the aggravation.

Change is part of life and very much a part of my work life that I work daily on accepting. I don't always like the change but sometimes those changes are needed to move ahead. Right now the changes and ads with ADV are something needed. We have had a lot of years of ad free and free service by ADV from the goodness of Baldy and Smugmug. Now that Baldy isn't with Smugmug there needs to be something to support the site. I don't know the inner workings or the costs that it take to keep something like this going but it can't be cheap.

I paid as a supporter because what I receive from this sight is worth a lot more than I pay to help support the site and I receive the bonus of no pop ups.

Sorry to see you go and I hope you reconsider down the road and return.
    barnyard, AVPU, Chip Seal and 14 others like this.
  4. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Yes, my browser's been hijacked; no it hasn't happened on this site. Yet.

I lay the accountability on the browser designers, don't enable functionality that allows such website control. Of course we all know it's an ongoing pitched battle between the white and black hats in the matrix. It's not going to end.
  5. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Avoid using Tapatalk, if possible.
    Pitch the mainstream browsers like Chrome, and use something that protects identity and restricts tracking, like Brave.
    Switch to an identity protecting engine, like DuckDuckGo for search, and avoid Google at all costs.
    Get a VPN.

hope this helps
    GlennR, n16ht5, shrubitup and 2 others like this.
  6. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Dupek

Oddometer:
    My iPad sits forlornly in it's box on my desk. I use an iPhone 6s+ running IOS 12.1 or my 2009 MacBook here. Chrome browser on laptop with AdBlock Plus and Avast Online Security to keep all tracking at bay. My iPhone is running Safari and the only thing I see are the remove ads, support ADV blurbs, no ads whatsoever. Do you have popups disabled in Safari?

A while back I had issues with the "won a gift card" thing on the laptop. I downloaded CrapCleaner (free) and swept both Safari and Chrome clean with it and it went away. Try MalwareBytes Mobile Security on your phone. They are damn good at blocking spyware and stuff.
  7. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod
    *site*
    What else can I say, that LB didn't say for me?
    As usual for me, I will find something else to say....

There is nowhere else that I can find the things that I find here: Riders to ride with, friends to campfire with, laughs to brighten my life.

You had better text me when you do DryFest again,...because I sure as F*** ain't doing Facebook. At least here, all political stuff is banned to the basement.
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I voted YES on the above poll, because the poll did not ask WHERE I have had these obtrusive ads, and it has been on other forums (of all types) that I have clicked a link to get to, or just used general searches to get to an interesting post related to my searches. This site is now like any other where they must sell something to stay alive. Fortunately, ADVRider allows me to avoid all that with a small paid fee.

Pay the $49 bucks, JB, you know that the value is there.

I mean,....look at all the people (especially!) in YOUR life that you simply would never have met without ADVRider.

I just looked at my phone's ADV contacts to see if you were among them Mr Dual Sport, and sadly, I never got your number, even after having ridden with you several times. I had to look hard, because there were 89 other contacts on my phone that I have also ridden with over the years.

To be a paid "supporter" on ADVRider is the best entertainment bargain that I've seen inna loooong time.
  9. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Fwiw, this happened to me in the “pre-ad” version of AdvRider. I do not think the current advertising has anything to do with the pop ups.

I had this issue yesterday on my ipad. Today, it seems fine.
    ozmoses likes this.
  10. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Yo Mr DS.

Here's hoping you find good modern digital tools to fix what ails ya.
    You don't come across to me as a quitter. :D:D:D
    Give 'em hell.. I enjoy your camaraderie too much just to sit back and warm the bench and see you make like a tree and leave.
    Now get your ass back on that saddle !
    :lol3
  11. Sedro Tom

Sedro Tom No hurry, no worry

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy ADV and hate to see folks leave. I'm not tech oriented and don't use many other platforms so I haven't been affected
    by any glitches, no more than normal for a desktop computer user. I do ignore adds just like I hang up or ignore robo calls. Part of
    the price of communications these days. The longer I am retired the more frugal I've become. Sharing my photography with you all
    has meant a lot to me, and I'll stick as long as it dosen't cost.
    GlennR, BruceWA, shrubitup and 8 others like this.
  12. sultanofslide

sultanofslide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't use taptalk, I'm just using the mobile website and haven't had any issues.
  13. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Another issue that pops up (pun intended) on sites with lots of advertising is the amount of device recourses they use. I have a few older computers with limited ram/horsepower.....I literally cannot use them on some other "thumper" orientated websites with lots of ad-pops. Ad's are usually designed to load first, if your computer needs to cache info so it can free up memory, your device will stall and appear hung-up. Ad blockers help, but many websites that are looking for revenue will limit a blockers use.

It's an evil world that requires us to pay up or quit.....I can understand both.
    Scott_PDX and DiggerD like this.
  14. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Trinity_Session likes this.
  15. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Ads, what ads?
  16. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No issues here.
  17. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    My browser runs concurrently with Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

But for the lone "Remove ads, support ADV" weblink at the top of each page, there's nothing else evident that would suggest the recent site transition to a revenue-based model. Nothing.

I've no issues with malware, either; I wasn't aware that was a problem until reading this thread.

All good here.
    YamaGeek and rg sw wa. like this.
  18. HeatherHooligan

HeatherHooligan every never is now

Oddometer:
    There is your base problem right there in pink - ipad and iphone maybe? No issues for me on any of my windows and android devices. Google Chrome browser on all and ad blocker plus. Still planning to pay the 1x fee to support the site and get the t-shirt.
    Best wishes to those of you who are jumping ship.
    YamaGeek and phreakingeek like this.
  19. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your browser gets hijacked by a ad from this site you have already been owned by another advertisement funneling software. It just so happens to do it while on another site not from the real source.

The real vector for the advertisement malware is your other online activities and phone apps.

many of us use software and do not see the ads and are not affected by much of the malware online.
  20. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's ok on my IPad, maybe a little slower though.
    rg sw wa. likes this.