annoying pop ups or virus??

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by wellcraft, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    No it's not, the thing people are seeing (on both iOS and Android) is specific to mobile browsers where an ad opens a popup.. that doesn't necessarily mean you have been compromised in any way as the popup window itself isn't technically harmful (albeit annoying), it will only become sketchy if you decide that you have actually won $1000 or whatever and you start following the links on the ad. That's why the popups are so "appealing" - they are trying to lure you to open the links. If you see a popup, go to your phone's task manager and kill the window (don't click any Xs on the page). Same thing with email attachments - if you don't actually open the attachment then it's just another email you can simply delete. Annoying? Yes. Do you need to immediately throw your phone in a river and flush your eyes with bleach? Not really...
    rg sw wa., 95Monster, eric n and 3 others like this.
  2. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    No issues here and I'm 100% mobile when I'm on the forums. I use the chrome browser.

I've downloaded tapatalk but didn't use it. Then uninstalled it.

Sad to see people go for a reason like this.
    No-Fret and rg sw wa. like this.
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    100% mobile, duck duck go, adguard, no ads.
    No-Fret and rg sw wa. like this.
  4. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

well he went and changed some of his photos to this. now we know who p0wned him.

messed up part is that it probably didn't even come from the ADV advertiser group.

And don't even try to tell me now that he only used his Iphone for ADV.

Notice the Facebook icons in the background? Just because he was trying to get to ADV is why it shows adv on the top. That doesn't make it the source of the hijack.

maybe if he had posted this screen shot to the thread sooner that URL could have been blocked from the advertiser pool sooner.
    CA Stu and rg sw wa. like this.
  5. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-11-20_12-35-21.png
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    So it's the Amazon shop?

Muthafuggas....
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I remember a time when the closest thing I had to social media was a rotary-dial telephone.

Since being on Advrider, I talk face to face with far more people than I ever did before I was on the forum. I believe I ride more, too.

Ladybug, Watercat, IDRIDR and 5 others like this.
  9. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    ^^What he said!
    if it weren't for this site I would not know any of you FF's. But thanks to ADV and all the info on the 1200GS, I visited here for a long time. Then, while looking in the PNWet forum,, a fellow called LapTraffic posted up about a ride/ camp at Wolf Rock, apparently we were the only 2 in the State that knew where it is, and I rode up there to meet him. The rest is ADV history.
  10. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear ya Peterman!! Glad I got to know a bunch of you FF’s !! Wouldnt have hapened without this.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    You posted this a week ago:

If it hasn't already been made clear, the owners and admins are furiously searching for the source of this stuff and are not happy with any of this kind of activity.
    They are looking to protect the site and all of the members from it.

I personally have never seen any ads (except on the login page) nor had my browser hijacked, but I use Windows, Firefox and Disconnect, and never browse from my phone.

Personally, I think that throwing away a 7 year membership over something that may not even be related to the site is silly, but whatever.

This place is literally where I found my tribe, and I'll be good and damned if I'll up and leave without giving the folks that run the place the benefit of the doubt and a solid chance to fix whatever they may or may not have inadvertently been victims of.
    You know that there's no way they are maliciously behind this, right? It's not even imaginable to me.

That said, thanks for your participation and contributions over the years, and I hope to see you around a campfire, @Mr Dual Sport .
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Mr Dual Sport look what has transpired. You leave us all and nobody accepts what happened to you. Page 3 now. We are all just bummin’ and theres a huge amount of ADVer’s coming from all over to say something. “Tex Winchester” I hope you will be back. Most of all WE want your operation to go well and you be 100% so you can keep joining us in the future. Man o man you have affected alot of people. ADV love my friend. Sorry FF’s its just how it is and how I feel when I read this.
  13. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    I cried at the wedding just like an old grandma,,,it was so beautiful!!
    Posum in that wedding dress, and Mr.DS all bright and proud, and both of them positively glowing!
    These folks are family!!!, this too shall pass and we'll all be happy again!
    See? B'cuz I said so! :dirtdog
  14. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    I just called and left a message on both their phones saying to check this thread. They may be off trucking somewhere.
    Scott_PDX and rg sw wa. like this.
  15. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod
    Scott_PDX and rg sw wa. like this.
  16. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
  17. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    :stupid 'er
  18. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Well as long as Posum stays what's the problem? :-)
    Road Rash and Scott_PDX like this.
  19. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    I gotta say, I totally get the frustration.

I reckon most all of us feel a sense of ownership of this place, no matter how much we have contributed, posted, helped out, participated in rallies, whatever,it's our clubhouse.

That said, I know for a fact that the folks who have control of the site are working to get rid of the garbage pop-ups.

Cheers all.
  20. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    I joined ADV a long time ago, and then ignored it. The slow death of MRN sent me wandering until I came across Pacific North Wet. It's sad to see this group splintering.

The ad thing sucks. I've had pop ups on my windows toy notebook and my Linux work box (which really pissed me off). Ad trackers have been around a long time. It took being the victim of somebody's beta testing to make me fess up and block them. That's just the first step, I have more to learn.

ADV's future sounds like a magazine. I guess that's what's got to be. It would be nice if some way was found to help out those who want to be inconspicuous in our clubhouse...
    rg sw wa. likes this.