annoying pop ups or virus??

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by wellcraft, Nov 12, 2018.

1. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    snipped for postarity "ADV's future sounds like a magazine. I guess that's what's got to be...."

:photog ..magazine!?

the fuck are you smoking man, how can I lampoon instatly via paper?
  2. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    I guess you'd use a pen, and write deliberately... And this is why I called it a magazine.
  3. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    My initial thought of magazine was the traditional sense. And it didnt sound appealing. Quite the opposite.

But if you think about "online magazine" the idea isn't so bad. And it makes sense. Eventually everything has to change/evolve or it dies. I don't want to see this place disappear. But the idea of having professional and amateur writers, content creators, photographers etc etc and the huge array of people who can contribute to this place, it is a good one. But only if we get to keep these forums as well.

Personally, I'm a little excited because I've been brainstorming some ideas on how to do something fun and creative with my interest in motos and the local racing community. And reading the thread @andredl just mentioned gets me even more excited to possibly get involved with the site.
    dondesmo likes this.
  4. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Roach. If you do nothing, the place will die. My old haunting grounds used to be cascadeclimbers.com which back in the day when I actually climbed was a great, thriving community that is now a mere shadow of its former self. They didn't keep up and people wandered away to social media of another sort.
  5. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    There are plenty of places/magazines I can turn to for editorial content when I want stories thin on details with more advertisements than content. The thing that made ADV special was that its riders forum, written by riders for riders without a lot of distracting bullshit. It is that participation that makes the place great, and unique. These latest changes are a departure from that philosophy, and seem to be going into a more mainstream, income revenue generating focus, instead of a content focus, and I think that is what is turning people off.

It seems to me that punishing people that make the content, which makes this site so valuable, is a poor decision. Yes, I know there are costs involved in keeping this site going, but slapping a bunch of adverts all over the place which bring down the performance of the end-users who contribute here doesn't sounds like a smart choice to me. I can't speak for others, but when a site starts charging users to access content, that those same users have spent a significant amount of time to create for the site, is a disincentive for those users to continue to contribute content for free in the future.

There are other ways to generate the revenue needed to keep this place going, maybe they were looked into, maybe they weren't. I know Craigslist and Wikipedia don't have ads and they seem to be working still (donate model). Other sites give the ads only to unregistered users, but not registered users, or provide "advertisement free accounts" once you post a certain amount of posts/stories etc. Others charge fees to folks that want to make money on the site, for example a list/sell/fee in Flea Market etc.

I don't know the answers, and I'm not going away anytime soon, but am in a wait and see mode to see how this pans out.
    panhead_dan, St_rydr, MUDHWY and 5 others like this.
  6. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    I agree 110% that I hope it doesn't devolve into something like whats already out there. This place is way better. Ten fold. What I appreciate the most is this place is full of average and not so average riders who have a variety of talents, telling a story or photos (sometimes both) but they dont suck the tit of some big manufacturing brand. They aren't trying to sell a piece of gear or gadget. They are just sharing their experience. That's what makes this place better than the rest.
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Well said! :clap
    One Fat Roach likes this.
  8. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    ^^^Yeah, hells,, scottPDX is,,, as usual,,RTFO,,,right the fuck on!
    Makes good videos too!,,:clap

content,, is that anything like a pup tent?,,wall tent? can you pack it on a bike?
    con tent,,like con trails?,,con vict?,,con tinental, con job,,,,
    RainRider45 and Scott_PDX like this.
  9. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    Please read Baldy's thread from the beginning. I feel like I took him out of context.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m on here everyday. iPhone & iPad. No ad blocker or pop up blocker. Never had a problem. Is it cuz I’m a paid supporter?
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    :nod:hmmmmm
  12. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    pop ups every single day on every single page.

Can I get credit for my past "free will" donation checks I personally mailed to Baldy before we went commercial? And why didn't we have participation trophy's back then when no one was looking and nothing was promised? Wonder how many proud current supporters ever gave a dime before they were promised their participation banner?

There is a old Texas saying, you dance with the one that brung ya. Just saying.......
    Switchblade315 likes this.
  13. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Same here, those Toyota ads are relentless. Oh well, you get what you pay for.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never paid a cent before. I’m not one to donate. But as soon as they said $49/year for this. I said what a deal!

And I am sooo happy so far.
  15. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problems here and I almost only surf from my I Phone using Safari and have for years
  16. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that Craigslist depends on Real Estate ads for revenue (they're not free - IIRC). And Wikipedia canvasses for donations plenty. But they're not ad supported, just like you said.

I've run large forums. It's a thankless task. Not particularly expensive, but the 'personal return' begins to wear thin when you've spent years doing it (and getting yelled at), cleaning up the messes people create, and having to intervene to keep the content as high as possible. Thousands of hours spent with no real return - except for the satisfaction of a job well done, new friends and so forth. But still, looking back, was it worth it? Probably not. Which is why I'm not doing it anymore myself. But I can appreciate those that still do.
  17. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:

LapTraffic (RIP) is what brought us together for the first time, just wish it would have been in a better way.

:deal

:stupid'est

:1drink
  18. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    ^^^I remember that day very well Rashie. From the meet-up at the cafe to the ride to the crash site, and all of you brothers that rode out to pay respects.
    I remember the stop at the green bridge before we rode up river. Everyone introduced themselves and away we did ride.
    I met some really solid fucking people that day! I love you all!
    ADV family IS my family,,,you fuggers are stuck with me now!
    Mr.D.S. ain't going anywhere,, he is family too,,and we'll all dance in the sunshine together yet again!
  19. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Though I hate the ads, I do have to say they aren't too bad on my browser currently. I have been holding out on the subscription as I want to see the impact on the non-subscribers, and how intrusive it would be. There is a fine line between generating some revenue and alienating your audience, and so far, from my perspective the browser experience isn't too bad. I'll probably sign up eventually to support the site, more than anything else.
    matloik likes this.