1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Anothe canadian border question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by s.ga.rider, Jun 24, 2016.

1. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    No Hand Guns in Canada! Don't even think about it!
  2. Vegas_vtx

Vegas_vtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kel,
    Americans carry hand guns more so now than ever. 1) We have a right to do so. 2) people feel afraid because of the lunatics around who have guns and think they have the right to kill someone who pisses them off. 3) Because of the violence and drug related incidents happening. People in desperation and drug induced state where they don't realize what they are doing.
    Sex crimes, robberies, theft, home invasion, murders... people feel threatened and feel that they need to defend themselves as the police don't arrive quickly enough to do something.
    Blakebird likes this.
  3. IMAWILDPARTY

IMAWILDPARTY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the RCMP, in 2014, about 2 million Canadians had firearms licenses. There were about 2.7 restricted and prohibited class firearms(mostly handguns, though some automatics, albeit rarely) for every 100 people. That's just the legal, registered guns. Obviously that doesn't include the people who chose not to participate in the licensing regime for one reason or another, those numbers are higher. Granted, two million seems like a relatively small part of the population, but it is extremely common in rural areas. (No one is hunting with a rock in a sling)

Long guns are carried regularly in rural areas for various purposes - hunting, recreation, wildlife protection in some specific scenarios. Hand guns are rarely carried as it is incredibly difficult to get the necessary approval, though they are commonly owned and visible on gun ranges. AR-15s are legal here too. Sorry to ruin your image of Canada a bit there.

You're in Toronto. There used to be a range at Union Station, and at Hart House(UofT).
    Until fairly recently(within the past 6 years), a range operated on Royal York road between Bloor and Queensway. Right by the fire station. Yes, the same Royal York with multiple schools on it. It was very low-key because it's a very politically unpopular thing in the city. No one ever heard about it because it was very safe, and no one got hurt.

It's a very city-centric idea that Canadians seem to spout about how no one here has guns.
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are many non-Americans travelling in the US, Canada and all over the world confidently and safely without carrying a gun, you can too. The Canadian customs and border police put a great deal of effort into finding guns people are trying to bring in illegally and if they catch you they will jail you.
  5. IMAWILDPARTY

IMAWILDPARTY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To reiterate what everyone said, don't try to bring your gun across the border. On the balance of probabilities, it will do you far more harm than good.
  6. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a per-captia basis, Canadians own as many shotguns and rifles as Americans do.
    It is the hand gun or pistol where we draw the line.
    You may bring rifles and shotguns into Canada with little difficulty.
    Just tell the border guy at the kiosk you are bringing them in to hunt.
    He'll send you over to the main building to fill out a form.
    Generally in and out in 15 minutes.
    Not practical on a motorcycle of course.
    Newstrom48 likes this.
  7. Rustypig

Rustypig Saddle Jockey

Oddometer:
    Besides all the excellent advice given...if you find yourself in a tough spot with local hooligans, just throw a hockey puck down...

Jk...couldnt resist
    NOTAGAIN likes this.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Yes, "Americans" (i.e., citizens of the USA) believe that our world is more violent. We feel the need to protect ourselves. That's because we watch too much sensationalistic TV. Repressive governments only continue to exist because of our fears. The truth is both violent crime and crimes against property have decreased significantly in the past 15 years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    william munny, Newstrom48 and IainB like this.
  9. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    I was making my way up to Alaska, solo women in a Subaru. Hit Canadian border and a grand motherly looking border patrol asked about weapons. My assumption was guns, knives and other various types of weapons. My response was no but I did admit to being a women traveling 5, 000 miles on my own and jokingly stated my pepper spray attached to my key chain gave me somewhat of a sense of safety. I'm well aware of the fact that my car key to the proper body part would work but my tiny can of pepper spray was a security blanket. She demanded that I remove it from my key chain. Begged, pleaded, asked her if she had a daughter, how would she feel if she heard I was raped or attacked...nothing worked.
    They are doing their job, a job they take very seriously. Bear spray but you better have the wind in your favor, lol.
  10. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Point taken on the fire arm. I will still carry bit if I go to Canada I will see about storing it somewhere. I bought a can of bear spray to carry too
    Hill Climber likes this.
  11. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I always bring a chicken, so I can throw it at the bear that is trying to eat me. Guns are overrated.
  12. LOCALAK907

LOCALAK907 n00b

Oddometer:
    This is from the 2016-2017 Alaska hunting regulations book. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great info. Thanks. I dont think I will have enough time to get it or my passport so I may have to skip canada.
  14. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    The more I travel out of the US, the more I realize how much fear US citizens have of each other. Far northern Canada traveling in Cree country, Mexico and farther south in CA, travel in South America; I get the question after I return back to the States, "Did you have any problems, Were you worried about safety, and many other versions of this same fear motivated question. Seldom the question, "What were the people like?"

S-Ga-Rider - you should make every effort to get a passport or passport card so you can visit the Canadian Rockies. Banff, Lake Louise, the Icefields highway...must see! Canadians are cool! They don't have the gun culture that we have in the US, and they don't shoot the tourists. :D
    Strong Bad likes this.
  15. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if you need a passport get it started early. They misspelled my name and what a PIA it was to get that worked out. Three months later I finally received it but man what a hassle.
  16. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent my life traveling the world and absolutely agree! Go and don't talk about what you think. Listen.
  17. Furpo

Furpo n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need a holiday--or to emigrate. May I suggest Canada?
  18. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
  19. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having taking some 5-6 family vacations north of the boarder, I can't not begin to describe how safe and friendly Canada is. Very humble as well; those that have the means don't like to show it off, nice change of pace from the US.

And yes, long guns are quite common in the 95% of Canada that isn't a city, for it is rural out there and dem bears is big!! But like any good outdoorsman, its all about hunting.

As far as bears, venture up to British Columbia and ask about them. It's shocking on how people just lock up their garbage and deal with it. Done a lot of hiking up there, and no one felt they needed to be packing anything more than bear spray (which is my opinion is way more effective than a 9mm against a grizzly).

Having just got back from Arizona (also friendly people), I was amazed on how many people looked at me odd for not caring a gun in remote areas. I could see if people were combative or unfriendly, but it was just the opposite. Even when they learned i was from New Jersey ;-)

Funny, having traveled a lot in the last few years, I'm finding the more remote the area, the more people are scared of other people. I'm surrounded by 10 million people in a 5 mile radius, and never once have i felt like i even needed a pocket knife. And a good percentage are folks from the so-called 'terrorist' countries. Fortunately, they provide some really awesome restaurants and food trucks!! :-)
  20. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    No. 1, you're not going to prison (unless you use it in a crime). I was found with a unloaded pistol several years ago on a trip to Alaska. They took my pistol, issued me a ticket (I had to pay on the spot), and ordered me to appear in court in Lethbridge. When I appeared in court, after some confusing back and forth between the judge and the Queens Representative, I was fined less than the paid ticket. Try getting a refund as an American in Canada. They also kept my pistol. Lesson learned...don't do it.