Anothe canadian border question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by s.ga.rider, Jun 24, 2016.

1. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info guys. Im not really concerned with getting mugged by a canadian. More for any critter that may try to eat me or them pesky americans...lol I do have a can of bear spray. Seems like i seen a lot of movies with people getting mauled by bears since planning this trip. I know a pistol wont help with a bear but I guess it comforts me having it.
  2. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    the answer is easy, quit watching movies, and start riding!!
  3. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    My comment earlier got me subscribed to this thread, which I am finding entertaining... To contribute to the entertainment, here's a bear story, from when I was in my 20's and living at a resort my folks owned, located an hour from the nearest tiny town and the nearest neighbor:

Being single, I'd look for socialization in the evening now and then, and walk through the federal campground adjacent to our resort. One night I met a bunch of city guys my age, and we hit it off around the campfire. I noticed they had a messy camp, with lots of food on the picnic table and such. I made a quick comment about bears that were around, and that it's prudent to put your food and dirty stuff in a secure place, like the trunk of the car.

Dismissing their lack of camping precautions, I hung out around the campfire and chatted. Among various conversations, they were fascinated with my lifestyle and life in the woods. An hour or so in to our time together, I heard a rustle behind me, and saw a bear approaching their picnic table and food. Being used to bears, I got up hoping to chase him. We have black bears here, and most of the time you can chase them away. I clapped my hands, made a lot of noise, and slowly walked towards him hoping he would leave. He took the cue and turned around and left. No big deal. I've done it before.

Turning around to sit back down at the campfire, I notice big round eyes and open mouths. Needless to say, these guys were not used to bears. In fact, I think they thought I was crazy and that I had done something incredibly out of the ordinary. I immediately realized I had lost my opportunity to just hang out with these guys, and now became some sort of a north woods story. I quickly excused myself from the campfire and went home.

Black bears generally are chase-able and aren't aggressive. Loud noise, hit pans together, clap, yell - they will leave. I even know of a dachshund that chased bears regularly, the dog of a friend of mine at that time of my life. That was definitely a sight to see and laugh at. As much as I know, don't do this to a grizzly bear...

Sorry for the hijack if this is not on topic, but we're talking about protection - protection from bears - and protection from people.
  4. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was an entertaining story. I've only seen 1 bear in the wild. It was on a hiking trail in California, a momma bear and it's cub. She wasn't much bigger than a large dog but paid me no attention at all. You don't see them in South ga too often.
    This is my first time camping out west and the idea of a grizzly makes me nervous.
  5. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere on this forum I remember some photos a rider took of what a bear did to his bike when he was camping and left the food in his saddlebags.
    It wasn't very pretty.
    Put the food and your trash in a canvas sack, then hoist the sack into a tree out of reach of the bear.
    (remember, they can reach over 6 feet into the air on their back legs).
    First roadside bin you come to in the morning, dump your trash.
    You will see mostly brown and black bears. They have adapted to man and thrive on our trash. Kind of like pigeons in urban areas.
    We have destroyed much of the grizzly's natural habitat and they are generally only found a long way from any human.
  6. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can tell you what NOT to do, like everyone else here. Don't take the hand gun into Canada. I traveled from Florida up to Maine a couple of years ago, doing a National Parks tour, and just happened to have my 9mm with me. Once I was to Acadia, the decision came down to, head home or go to Nova Scotia. Of course Nova Scotia won out.

So I broke the 9mm down to barrel in tool bag, slide under the seat, trigger assembly in with the air pump, etc. I had crossed the border before probably 16 times and no issues. Of course this time they motioned me over to do a further back ground check. Trying not to sweat, I had to sit there while they ran the check. All good. Of course they searched the bike behind me, and the one in front of me. Too close for comfort. Never needed the firearm any way, but like you, have a degree of comfort with it on me, especially in big cities, but I'll never do something that STUPID again. Figure out a place to leave it in USA, then pick it up on the way back.

The Icefield Parkway is well worth the time. Just leave the gun in the US.
    Spaggy, jfman and Project Mayhem like this.
  7. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also note that it's illegal to carry a non-state registered handgun through some states and cities in the US, no matter what your local laws are. Always best to check first. Even permits from other states are not always reciprocal.

BTW: here's how NOT to carry a gun into NYC. Just happened a mile from my place:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rrorism-Investigation-New-York-383805691.html

I can't believe the level of stupidity in this story. I'm also not buying the whole "heroin rescue" excuse either. Not exactly the kind of vehicle you're going to sneak up on a junkie with ;-)

I think the Port Authority police should have pulled them over just for bad taste in vehicle colors :-)
  8. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just make sure you never ever say the bear spray is to protect yourself from people, that will get it confiscated, goes for any weapon really. Always say it is for protection from animals.

And as others have said, hand guns are restricted weapons in Canada, bringing one across the border is illegal and if not declared will get you arrested if caught, and taken from you if declared.
  9. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my solo Alaska trip, I did buy some fireworks, like small bottle rockets and other noise makers in Canada, thinking if the bear woke me up and I could get the tent open and get those lit, it might scare it off. Glad I never got to test them out. Probably couldn't have found the lighter, then get the tent unzipped, would have probably burnt holes in the tent and bag......but I did think about using them on some damn crows at Tudyah Lake Park.
  10. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Making the transition

Oddometer:
    I thought you only needed an Enhanced Driver's License to get into Canada or both a birth certificate & driver's license if you're a US Citizen?
  11. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting into Canada is easy and reasonable.
    It's US Customs which is neither and now requires the passport.
  12. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Making the transition

Oddometer:
  13. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the post office a few months ago to get my passport and was told the earliest time I could make a appointment was a few months out. Lady told me they were backed up due to a lot of them coming up for renewal, they're good for 10 yrs. She said it was because before 9/11 you didn't have to have one to get into Canada but now you do.
  14. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. silvergoose

silvergoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    s.ga. rider. The advise and stories are very helpful, but if you want the law e-mail the R.C.M.P. They will tell you want if any weapons can be brought into country and the in which method it must be carried.

I wrote and received a very nice letter outlining the entire procedure, very bunt and with no areas of grey or misunderstandings.

DO NOT try to sneak it in, even if you get through the Canada customs, you will get caught by the US and things will get ugly.

Gamble if you want to. I will set this one out.
  16. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    Crossed into Canada 6yrs ago. Declared my pistol at border. They kept it for me till a came back across. That was by Glacier. Took 5 minutes.
  17. ozark-nzrider

ozark-nzrider bob1002

Oddometer:
    This is a subject we have been thinking about as we are planning a 30 day extended trip up the Continental Divide and back down the back roads of Idaho and Utah. I just checked with Northwest Sport Centre in Eureka, Montana about storing a hand gun during our week or so in Canada. They seemed very familiar with the practise and quoted me a charge of $20 . It was first sporting goods gun shop that I called so I am sure there are others close to the border that do the same thing.
  18. walterchang

walterchang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for information, I crossed into Canada at a little crossing in North Dakoto. The guy took my bike apart in the pouring rain. A few other times they didn't check anything.
  19. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Wrong - Passport or passport card is required. I live 40 miles from the border and cross regularly. I'm on their system for crossing regularly, and I still am asked for my passport almost every time. You can get back to the US if you loose your passport or card, but I'm sure it's a big hassle involving lots of time. You probably need it to enter Canada anyway. I've never tried my drivers license since the policy changes after 9-11. They ask for your passport, both sides, not your "ID". The border guards on both sides have a lot of authority. Their job is to protect their country from undesirables. The short interview at the window is serious business. You are being profiled based on your answers and reactions to the questions. If you have a DUI or felony from the US, you probably are on their system and will be denied entry to Canada.

As an addendum, both sides have a system of random checks where you will be more thoroughly searched. Luck of the draw. I've been pulled in to immigration on the Canada side, and been searched on the US side too. I've also been sent through with no passport check on the US side, both at the Canada border and surprise to me returning to the US at the Mexico border once. Never had that pass through happen when entering Canada, although often it's a quick check of passport and license plate plus the typical questions.

All this same information is on other threads discussing this subject.
    boatpuller likes this.
  20. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I stated Mike, this is what I had heard, but I took no responsibility for the accuracy.
    Since it appears to be dead wrong, I have deleted the post.
    Have to get some better sources.