Anothe canadian border question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by s.ga.rider, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm very correct, I assure you. Personal experience and all that.

You're quoting the US State Department about Canada's laws? Wow...

And you absolutely CAN take handguns into Canada. My buddies do it all the time. Please take a moment to read the RCMP site on how to do that. (Please don't start talking barrel lengths, just read it please.)
  2. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please note the smiley face at the end of the post.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan we shall continue to disagree.
    And you are right , in your personal
    experience you perhaps dealt with an obstinate border worker who insisted you must have a passport?
    Counter that with the personal
    experiences of my US - citizen friends who had no trouble traveling back and forth to Canada without passports but with good I.d. documents for proof of citizenship .
    Despite the rules put out by both countries it still the personal decision of the border guard whether or not he grants passage . That decision may be made on many factors . Having a passport is no guarantee for admission to either country.
    Your gun carrying friends get into Canada because they know and follow the rules.
    The US State Department and Canadian gov have collaborated on getting their rule setup. Why should citing the US rules qualify for a " wow" ?
    It is two sides of the same coin , same line in this case .
  4. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never said I was the guy "handing over" the passport, did I?

I've never encountered a problem crossing borders.

I have much more experience at this than you or your friends, I assure you...

(Yes, I've seen your books.)
  5. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Making the transition

Oddometer:
    I've missed a lot in a week...

Well I'm bringing my EDL, birth cert, DD-214, and expired passport plus a state issued professional ID card. Gonna go for it! This is an adventure website right? Besides, a strip search will make for a good ride report. :doh

Everything I've read on both the US and Canada official websites indicate that I can cross to and from without a passport. I acknowledge that it is the earliest way however.

My original question was due to the lack of time to get a valid passport and the fact that I'm too cheap to pay for one if i don't need it. I leave in a month as I make my way out west through Canada. I'll let you how it works out, wish me luck...
    Dan Diego likes this.
  6. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always have a current passport, I have since my college days.
    The reason is simple. I took journalism and you may have to travel anywhere in the world on a moments notice to cover a story.
    You can't wait several weeks to get one if they want to send you to some remote hot spot. There isn't time.
    Also good for jumping bail. :lol3
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went from hyder back into Canada this AM and the only thing he wanted was my passport.
  8. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    PLEASE let us know how the expired passport turns out!!!!
    Moto Jimmy likes this.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know how anal Canookistan is about getting in without a passport, but I have been with people crossing back into the states from Mexico without a current Passport. Yeah, they don't really like it, but you can't be refused entry back into you home country. A driver's license worked just fine as ID in every case, with no additional delays or secondary inspections. Flying without a current Passport is a completely different matter.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  10. DRPhoenix

DRPhoenix Viking

Oddometer:
    Canookistan border guards are just as anal as American border guards, just follow the rules presented by research online of the respective rules. Don't listen to the guy who talks about going back and forth between Mexico and the US. Wrong set of rules. Simple after a bit of research, don't bring anything prohibited or you will be refused entry or worse if yah try and sneak it through. In the words of Mr. Cobb that there machete is a camping implement, no weapons on board.
    Newstrom48 likes this.
  11. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my own personal experience, I have crossed both Canadian and Mexican land borders into the US without a passport. Not cause I didn't have one, just forgot to grab it. Never a long delay just a short chat and my non EDL license. And a recommendation to remember my passport next time. YMMV

FWIW, I'm sure the agent was able to look up my information and determine the validity of my passport while I sat there.

And I don't see the point of traveling with a gun. That would be the one item I would be worried about the entire trip.
    AL-n2it and Dan Diego like this.
  12. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    A driver's license is perfectly acceptable for USCs coming back into the US via a land border. No passport required.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...ens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

Don't listen to the guy who's never actually done it. I lead rides into Baja frequently and always assure the riders I take that they won't have a problem returning to the US. They never do.

And I have a machete mounted to the side of my KTM. I bring it into Canada and Mexico all the time. Never had a problem, just a few amused comments at Mexican checkpoints. Here's a photo of it in the background from a beach in San Felipe:

[​IMG]
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    While I thought I had explained that I didn't know what the Canooks can be anal about, the point of my post was to discuss returning back into the USA. The rules for USA citizen crossing into the USA by land or sea is the same no matter which border being crossed; Mexico or Canookistan. Crossing by plane is completely different, a prime example is the passport card, which can be used for sea or land travel but not air. As far as this discussion is concerned, the guy could easily re-enter the USA with an expired Passport however, all bets are off with crossing into Cannokistan, because their border guards are like DRPhoenix and rules!:lol3
    DRPhoenix likes this.
  15. Moto Jimmy

Moto Jimmy Making the transition

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't show my expired passport at either crossing, Canadian and US. Didn't need to nor was ever asked for a passport. Just handed them my Connecticut drivers license (non EDL come to find out) and birth certificate. Good to go with no delays...
    Dan Diego likes this.
  16. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's all you need. Or even just an oral declaration of US citizenship.

The bottom line is, CBP cannot and will not keep an American out of their own country. Yes, there are options for fines for not having a valid passport but CBP does not enforce them at land borders. And at airports, the carrier is fined, not the US citizen traveler.

I've said it before, don't worry about it.
  17. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true.

And of course the passport card can be used for sea and air...in the Western Hemisphere.
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    So I guess the question to you is which part of my statement is not true?

The Department of State Passport Card FAQ : https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

"The passport card cannot be used for international air travel."

From the back of my Passport card:

"Valid only for international land and sea travel between United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda"

[​IMG]

Good luck even getting on an airplane back to the states with only a passport card.
  19. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The word is Canuck. I have no idea what a Canook is. A type of salmon I believe.

To be clear, both Canada and the US do not officially require passports for their citizens entering either country or returning home.
    In lieu of a passport, a variety of other documentation is allowable.
    But a passport fills all of the requirements of all the other documentation in one package.
    So on the one hand some posting are correct, you don't need a passport.
    But on the other hand, a passport is the preferred entry and exit document and pre-empts the border guards on either side of the line becoming anal.
  20. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Sooory:lol3