Anothe canadian border question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by s.ga.rider, Jun 24, 2016.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer Canoodian.
  2. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer canoodaling. :lol3
  3. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    Please don't do it at the border crossing, it really slows the lane.

Charlie
  4. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago my uncle tried to go into Ontario from NY for a week long fishing trip. He did not have a passport but had an enhanced NYS driving license. They did not let him in because he had a 3 year old DUI on his record. I was surprised as was he.
  5. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    The DUI conviction can be a no-no when trying to enter Canada.
    There are ways to apply for 'rehabilitated status' (or some shit like this) with the Canadians.

Charlie
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Shoudn't be surprised; that is routine. Pasport would not have made a difference.
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the DUI would have been a no go even with a passport. Isn't there something about convicted felons being allowed to cross north also? Would rehab status work with that too?
  8. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Canada, Impaired driving is considered a very serious offence.
    If you inform border security of it and there is another person in the car that can drive, it becomes a judgement call.
    To the best of my knowledge, the only way to avoid this is a pardon for the conviction.
    I'm not certain however, so I'm sure there will be others who may have contributions.
  9. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang Canadians... remember that it's not just DUI, they can also restrict you if have Misdemeanor from states that is on there list that's considered felony in Canada.

I have one that's on there list but either they didn't find it, or my attitude didn't give them reason to look deeper..but I was sweating it.
  10. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    We, the US, should have some of that control on our borders to the South ...... don't ya think.

Paul
  11. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do have that control.
    When you cross an international border either by land or air, you are entering a different country with different laws and different priorities.
    It is the right of that country to refuse to allow you to enter for any number of reasons you may think are unimportant but which they take seriously.
    For example, a lot of Americans refuse to enter Canada to ride because Canada will not allow handguns.
    What they don't realise is that because few except police have handguns in Canada, they don't need "protection".
    The best excuse I ever heard was they needed their 9mm to protect themselves from bear attacks.
    The only thing a 9mm is going to do to a bear is piss it off.
    It was also pointed out that in 2015 there were a total of 9 bear attacks on humans in all of Canada.
    All were in the spring or early summer as the mother protected her cubs.
    It also comes as a shock to many when they travel to other countries around the world that the laws are much different.
    The concept of innocent until proven guilty is the exception not the rule.
  12. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    My comment was in reference to the very porous Southern US border. :nod

We need guns to retest ourselves from those that illegaly enter our country from the south...... but that topic best be left for another time and another place. :chace

Paul
  13. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are a Mexican and if you are trying to sneak into the US to live and you are successful...
    About the last thing you want to do is break the law, come to the attention of the police and get deported.

However, I agree. This discussion is best left for a more political thread.
    william munny likes this.