Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :
    :norton Mikey,,,,if you have room on board,,,you can hook up in parallel to your battery a large automotive AGM, it will have a huge amp hour capacity relative to a motorcycle's needs and you should be able to run for quite awhile, like all day before needing to recharge.
    Best of luck,
    THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  2. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you got it sorted.

To answer your previous question (probably moot now but...) I used permatex black as well and only on the rubber grommet thing. I was not sparing with the application though, so might have got some on the wires where they exit too.
  3. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From experience I can tell you that you will get around 200Km / 130ish miles from a fully charged battery with headlight etc disconnected.

Tried it on my way home from the trip when my Stator quit on me a couple of months ago.

Per
  4. NaMi

NaMi Mirko

Oddometer:
    Count me in. On my F650GS Twin stator fried at 49kkm. I will replaced it with this

Attached Files:

• Dsc1.jpg
      Dsc1.jpg
      File size:
      173.3 KB
      Views:
  5. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see they were big on spelling and grammar the day they wrote that page up :D hope their stators are better, at least they are offering one
  6. whowardb

whowardb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You've heard it repeatedly-toasted stator on F800/658 after about 23K miles. I've got one after a slow, rough trip up West Harrison Lake which is a washed out or washboarded FS road. I think the slow-going had some effect on the failure but it must have been weakened beforehand.

I'm replacing it with an ElectroSport stator from Canada's Motorcycles ($139 +) and a SH775 from Polaris ($62 +). Has anyone on this forum made this change?

The only things I need to make it plug-and-play and returnable-to-stock are the connector halves to the wiring harness. Does anyone have these from a toasted RR or know what the OEM supplier name and part numbers are?

Thanks to all the people on this thread who've contributed experiences and expertise.

Howard
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  8. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    O, you're talking about the RR I'm guessing.... nevermind...
  10. whowardb

whowardb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JR

The parts fiche is a good resource to have. It looks like all these connector parts are the half that connects to the main wiring harness. The half of the connectors that I need come attached to the connecting part.

So it looks like my options are: 1. to have someone send me their toasted RR with connectors, 2. cut my connectors off my perfectly good OEM shunt RR, or 3. find the mfg. and model number for the original connectors (most likely German). With the exception of Hella, I'm not familiar with any other mfgs there. If Lucas were home, he'd probably know.

IN addition JR, I'd like to say that I've appreciated your contributions to these posts over the years and that you've helped my understanding of my bike and the (mostly) technical issues to keep it going.

Howard
  11. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a big difference between how the bike and car divisions operate, with the bikes they only offer the harness side connectors pre terminated with some lengths of wire. Over at the car division they list the individual plugs/sockets and pins. The challenge is to be able to identify the plugs from the part numbers stamped on them and then use RealOEM to see which car they are used on.

We have been successful with some of the 650GS plugs. In terms of Plug/Socket Mfrs AMP/Tyco are used extensively
  12. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:

Thanks howard ... I'm happy to help this is the most complicated bike I've ever owned ... sheez if we didn't share we'd be screwed.

a nod and a wink to the parts counter guy or service tech might yeild a dead R/R .... an inmate send me his so I was able t do side-by-side testing of stock R/r vs. the http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm offering.
  13. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    My stator (pretty sure, but haven't run tests yet), crapped out at 40k miles in eastern Nevada last week. Looking to replace it with the ElectroSport item, but will check with local shops about a rewind first.
  14. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bucko, what are/were the symptoms besides the flat battery?
    Thanks, and sorry to hear what happened.
  15. Bucko

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mike. Here's the story:
    Second day out, cruising along with 3 friends, made several stops to check the map that morning. Went to start the bike after a stop and got nothing from the starter. Buddy had a voltmeter, Shorai was down to 9 volts.:huh Buddy also had jumpers :thumb, so we jumped it and I took off to Ely, about 65 miles distant. Once there, I cruised around looking for a bike shop or auto parts place. That slow riding seemed to kill what little charge the battery may have been getting, because the bike died and wouldn't start while I was checking out the big Yamaha/Suzuki sign at the end of the street (above an empty shop :cry). Ended up buying a new AGM battery at an auto parts shop the next day, plus a trickle charger and managed to make a good week of riding out of the situation with overnight charging and daily battery swaps.:clap Pretty sure we weren't getting anything from the stator by the end of the trip.

I'll get together with my electricity-wise friend this weekend and run some tests, but have already ordered an ElectroSport replacement. Nearly crapped my pants when I checked the BMW price on my phone.:becca
  16. drid

drid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I managed to rebuild my stator, quite painful job to do by hand but i did finish it and it works fine till now.
    I have compared the output waveforms (Voltage levels loaded/free-running) with ones from a new working stator and the result looks the same.
    Finally got the time to upload a few photos, you can have a look here:
    http://stadar.org/content/f800gs-stator-coil-rebuild
  17. Bucko

Oddometer:
    Electrosport stator is in, no serious installation problems except general clumsiness on my part. Forgot how strong the flywheel magnets are, nearly ruined the $20 gasket when they sucked the sidecase out of my hands :huh

Seems to be working fine - battery has 13.6 volts after a couple hundred miles :D
  18. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    I have a '09 800GS with 91,000km, bought new. It's been quite good to me, but once I put the Dually lamps (31w net draw) on a few years ago, charging troubles began. (I am also a victim of headlight reflector burn (both sides) and steering head bearing failure (4th or 5th set now, lost count).

So my second stator, made in China, which (I think) I bought from Electrosport for around $220, installed in April '13, is not charging much now, if at all. I haven't had the time to read every page of this epic, but wondering if any of you got the old rotor/flywheel drilled out and balanced, and had their replacement/rewound stator last longer than 18 months/30,000km?

Will likely replace the bike next spring, but want to sell it in good shape.
  19. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :norton Hi 3rd Uncle,,,,,,,,,I can't comment on the "factory-fix" of the ventilated stator, however there is a MUCH more cost effective alternative that you should check out. It is called a CE-605 series style voltage regulator. It will reduce the heat and stress in the stator , thus extending its life.
    Member JR Wooden, myself, and a few others have had great success with this Reg/Rect.
    The vendor of choice has been Jack @ roadstercycle.
    There is a thread here on ADV if you are interested in learning more.
    All the best,
    THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  20. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Thumper. An actual solution would indeed be nice, instead of having to keep replace something that's not engineered correctly. I'll look into it. Looks like a found a sweet deal on a new stator, too.