Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    I posted this info several years ago and it's worth repeating: My alternator (stator) failed at 35,000 miles. I looked at the issue - my thoughts were immediately - the damn exhaust pipes are too close to the alternator and causing the stator failure. I put in a new stator, wrapped the pipes with some of that fancy hot rod exhaust tape... I'm well over 92,000 miles with no more stator problems. As a matter of fact the ONLY other mechanical failure I have had is the real wheel bearings... that's it, she's like a Timex watch...
    sweatmark and Nickhob like this.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Yeah Cowboy ... I remember that discussion .... thought about doing it ... then over-thought it (yeah Reaver shocking I know...) then forgot about it...

The added bad news (for the stator) that most of us have added big bash plates to block the air flow in that area and make things even worse... :becca
  3. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After I added the the series regulator the stator cover ran the same temperature as the clutch cover and the rest of the engine case. On my bike that was about a 70 degree drop.
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ohhh that exhaust thing looks promising! well now I have to wrap myself around the idea whether I prefer to wait and see if it burns up after changing my R/R, changing flywheel or doing that... narf don't wanna overthink it too much ;)
  5. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Do it all NOW ... quit writing your paper ... do important sh*t ... work on your bike!!! :imaposer

PS: Thumb drive on the way!
  6. Loutre

Oddometer:
    sadly I'm already back in england... worked on both bikes for a week... and ordered the wrong clutch cable (+13) :baldy:baldy:baldy that reminds me that I have a pm to reply to :D
  7. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    It's all good... It will likely take a couple weeks for the thumb drive to arrive ... at which point it will be time for another cross-border beer run anyway? :photog
  8. Loutre

Oddometer:
    timer is set for 22 days :lol3 this time I brought back 4 bottles of wine, 5 cheeses, 3 smoked salami sausages and 3 packs of beer. should just about survive those dreadful 3 weeks :lol3
  9. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    There is a lot to like about the way a Frenchman thinks....
    I'd like the chance to explore more about how French women think .... :jump
  10. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    In more serious news ....
    I don't suppose we have any data on how long the "typical" 2-leg stator lasts before decaying to 1-leg and then death?

2-legs seems keep my bike reasonably happy so long as I don't add load (like heated gear).
    I think I could limp home on one leg if I unscrewed the headlight, turned off ABS (I hear that saves a bit),
    didn't do much idling and made damn sure I never let the radiator fan kick in.....

curiosity....
  11. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    You live in the land of plenty.

Quit whining.

Pick up a BMW used part off Ebay for $50 shipped and be happy.

I did. :D Was $11.50 to send it here.
  12. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any statistics, but at this point, your rectifier is working harder. I suspect if you run with one phase, your rectifier will also die at the same time the stator dies. There is also the question of how clean the signal would be when there are one or two phases missing. Shindengen must have designed the RR with some fault tolerance in mind, and Bosch must have designed the ECU with some fault tolerance as well. At the same time, I prefer you doing this science experiment on your bike and reporting back, rather than me :lol3
    GETTHUMPER2 likes this.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Oh a wise guy eh?
    Does this apply to the series AND shunt style R/R?
    I'm a mechanical engineer, not electrical, but I would have thought the two remaining phases are pretty much capped at being able to put out about 135W each no matter what the demand might be...
    and the R/R is sized to handle more than that wattage at 100% duty cycle... but ask Reaver ... I've been wrong a few times before....

The reason I asked about running on two phases was because I got stuck doing CRAP all day and have an invite for ride in the AM I'd rather not pass up ... and don't really want to disassemble the bike this evening ...

Ok so there's some laziness involved............... :imaposer
    GETTHUMPER2 likes this.
  14. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :wave:waveHi Jr,,,if you are running with a pack and it is ALL daylight riding,,,,being the risk taker that I am, I would lose the headlight and maybe anything else that is non essential and go for it,,,,you have a voltage monitor on board,,,,if after a while you see that it is keeping the battery topped up, gradually start adding your most desired loads ie..GPS, RADIO, etc....just disco'ing the HD-light should add 55w of charging current
    All the best,
    THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  15. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to say, I've flunked all electrical electives, and fried a lot of lab equipment in college. If you trust my word for anything serious, that is on you :D

The R/R should be overspeced at the factory, and at the 400W figure from the stator should be at redline. In real world revs, the power should be much lower and well within the load rating of the R/R. Now that I re-read what I posted earlier, and I think I see the source of disagreement. Trying to type as little as possible on a painful cellphone keyboard sometimes make me say the opposite of what I intended. Try reading that as "I highly doubt your RR will die if you run the stator with one phase".

I am still interested in seeing how clean the signal will be with one phase dead. Mostly for curiosity's sake. If you still have that oscilloscope, and you are feeling bored, do you mind hooking it up? :wink: It's a lot more interesting that a boring stator change.
  16. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Mine failed about 5 miles from home, on the way to the annual first long ride of the season to a local pancake/maple syrup place. I got it home gave the battery a 20 minute charge and grabbed my portable jump box, bungee corded it to the pillion seat, grabbed some alligator clip leads and connected them to the tender outlet on the bike. Got me there and back (120 miles).

Now back to your assumption that each leg would produce 1/3 of the total, not so much, as they are NOT completely independent, or you would have 6 wires not 3, they all have a common connection on one end of the winding so when one leg shorts or opens the entire stator is affected. From my 40 years of playing with this stuff, when you loose one leg short/open/diode failure you end up with about 20% of the rated output.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys !
    PFFOG ... yes I'd neglected that 3 vs. 6 lead part ... is it a "Y" or Delta or ... is it time for more beer?
    As it turned out I ended up in a cage ... 50mph gusts and downed trees everywhere with torrential rains ....
    When I get back home and sober up :freaky it'll be stator swap time
  18. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    I went thru worse trying to get to your place.

Joaquin was it?

Wimp.

[​IMG]
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    yeah...............
    wimp I am ..............
    Also testing headgasket repair on car it held on the way down ... :photog
  20. TrailmanFr

TrailmanFr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, It's already done !!!

I've change the toasted stator after 106 000 km with a Electrosport's bought on Ebay...
    The voltmeter mounted two years ago saved my butt because it allowed me to check that the battery charge went down ...12,6 V at start instead of 13,8 V
    direction the casa to repair it and to continue my offroad trip with friends ...

thanks to who ?

thanks to Advrider !!!

:clap