Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    "or switch the rectifier to a shunt type"

The stock regulator is a shunt type. Some folks on here have switched to a series type in the belief that the stator will run cooler since it will be carrying less current.
    PFFOG and dpike like this.
  2. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Wrap the pipes... you guys are way overthinking this thing...
    Scubalong likes this.
  3. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    34,500 miles 2010 f800gs stator partially shorted still charging but not very well Im installing an electrex stator and a roadstercycle regulator kit
    IMG_1448.JPG
  4. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you still stand by this? IF SO, can you direct me to a series style regulator that you like for an f800gs?
  5. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES I do, Check with Jack Flemming at Roadstercycle , he is my "go-to" guy for electrical / charging issues. I believe that Jack's current series-style r/r of choice is the Shindegen SH-847. You can most likely find this part on Ebay and Amazon, but if you go with Jack you will also get his excellent tech.support and installation help along with all wires and connectors for installation. This should still be a good Email,,,,,,,,,,jack@roadstercycle.com
    All the best,
    THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  6. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    JFC... only got 8k out of a new Electrosport stator and RR combo. Gotta do this all again.
  7. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which RR did he use? SH775 or SH847.
    JRWooden likes this.
  8. eddyturn

Oddometer:
    It's the ESR711 from Electrosport and of course the warranty is only one year. Not sure yet if that is the problem as I need to attempt to follow their analysis process with a volt/ohm meter. Out of my pay range but I'll print out their instructions to see if I can see if the RR or the stator is out. First though, I will check all connections and main inline fuse. Seems weird that it went out so soon with only 8k on both of them.
  9. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, so that RR is still a shunt which it's why it's still not surprising that your stator burnt out again, try the shindegen 847

What I like is that it's series regulators is that it only draws the current it needs from the stator (rather than pulling max from stator and dissipating the excess(shunt style aka whats on the f800gs from the factory or the electrosport)), meaning the stator runs cooler and reduces parasitic drag on engine.
  10. eddyturn

Oddometer:
    Yes, I should have done that last time but didn't. Problem is that I am selling the bike and the new buyer noticed that it quit charging while out test riding. Was doing the 14+v and now - no charging. Dangit. Tested the AC volts out of all 3 leads of the stator and they all hit right at 13.5. Per ES testing sheet anything under 50v is bad stator. Seems odd to me and waiting for tech support to call back.
  11. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it was me, the first thing I would do is check the voltage at the battery with a different meter, just to be sure the bike meter is functioning correctly.
  12. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Was the 13.5V at idle or rev'ed up?
    At 4,000 rpm you should get ~75V across any two out of three, but at idle it will be much less....
    I don't have the speck for idle output....
    If you were getting only 13V @ 3K+ RPM yeah... something is hosed............
  13. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I will be dealing with this now. I have two '08 bikes in the shop with charging issues. F800GS that struggles to get to 13.8V and a 650 Twin that I haven't diagnosed yet. The 650 is already on its second alternator (first replaced at the dealership).

I will read more of this thread as time goes on but is this a decent summary of where things stand?

1) Stators overheat and can be rewound or replaced with new aftermarket. Rick's, Ricky, EME. $200-ish.

2) Later production bikes have vented rotors which reduce or eliminate the problem. BMW now uses this retroactively back to the beginning of production but of course you need to buy the whole $1100 kit.

3) A series rectifier is better but may not be needed with the vented rotor. Roadstercycle/Shindengen, etc. $100~200.

Does that pretty much sum up the options?
  15. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 is wrong- bikes 13+ still appear to have issues although not as frequent.

Which then makes 3 more interesting/ more cost effective.

Ricks/eme/ stators usually don't last that long for some reason- I think it's material choice- it's on one of the stator threads on here- I think electro sport uses 180 'something' and oem is 220 ( higher is better) in regards to tolerating heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be in touch with Jack about the RR.

Do any of the aftermarket stator people use the same high-quality materials that BMW is said to?

Has anyone vented an older flywheel? Looks like a mill and a rotary table would do the trick.

For this F800 I'm going with new BMW parts and hopefully one of Jack's RRs but knowing about the alternatives is still a good thing.
  17. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I thought about modifying an old flywheel but was concerned about the balance ....
  18. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had this in mind for my wife's ST rather than buying the whole kit for it. I did experiment with a bit of machining on the old flywheel from my GS. It was pretty easy to bore out the holes in it. The bearing retainer ring that bolts to the back side though was too hard for my small mill to handle. It is available as a separate part though. Checking the balance would be critical though before I'd feel comfortable using it. The other issue is the metal chips end up stuck to the magnet, so cleaning it up is a real pain. Not sure if it is a viable option in the end.
  19. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hola Inmates

I am on the fence again. I have charging issue last month and have replacde Stator and RR using Electrosport. After couple hundreds miles
    The GS instrument start flashing and shutting off. My voltmeter showing from 14.4 and jumping to 18V
    Bases on Electrosport website indicate the RR is on the way out again....WT beeeeeep. Should I go with Roadstercycle or trade her in for the AT? :D

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/known-issues/common-tech-issue?model=3378
    http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/diode-testing-guide.pdf
  20. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would cut ties with anything electro sport- quality is not there, roadstercycle sells oem Shindegen regulators - same brand that is oem on BMWs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scubalong likes this.