Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Are your battery terminals tight Scubawrecker?
    Scubalong likes this.
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am just about to pull the plug and get the Roadstercycle so I can ride with out any fear.
    My wife will not ride with me again unless I have fix this Problem :(
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course Rever...Why you even ask :dirtdog
    I went over every inches and all the connectors....!
  4. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would, I'm at 14.3 all day steady as can be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scubalong likes this.
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Jack at Roadster is an awesome guy ...
    Shoot him an e-mail he'll work with you ..
    I put on the series R/R he offers (forget the model at the moment) and have nothing but good words for it over past 25K miles.
    GETTHUMPER2 and Scubalong like this.
  6. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JR
    I will give Jack a call. He live not far from me.
    Which kit does everyone use? SH847?
    Klrhani likes this.
  7. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the Sh847

Scubalong likes this.
  8. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate :thumb
  9. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    2010 F650GS 45,000 k (24,000 miles) fail. (It was actually starting to fail last year with about 35,000k on the odo)

2010 F800GS 57,000k now showing erratic activity but charging system functional.
  10. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    New to 700Gs as i just bought one. I have owned multiple 100 and 1200 boxers. Current is a 1200 GS 2016.

The 700 Gs I have just bought is a 2015. Is the stator still an issue in t2015 year model?
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    A flywheel re-design was done in 2012 that vented the stator cavity.
    if this did not eliminate the problem entirely it sure made things a lot better at the least, so on a 2015 model you should be good.
    Pch123 likes this.
  12. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    I sent BMW a letter about the failure of the stator on my 650GS after only 45,000 k driven by my wife. Did not expect much of a response and got everything I expected.

Dear Mr. Wintle:
    Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad Canada.
    We regret to read of the stator issues you have experienced in your 2010 BMW F 650 GS. Rest assured that the quality of our vehicles receives our constant attention.
    Please be advised that we can only count on the findings and opinions of the BMW certified technicians at our authorized retailers, and we cannot verify information coming from third party mechanics or internet sites. We can only suggest that you contact the service department of your authorized BMW Motorrad retailer to have the stator problem and any other technical issues formally diagnosed and addressed.
    As the warranty on your vehicle expired on 19 March 2014, we will not be able to provide an extended warranty; in addition, BMW Motorrad Canada will not be providing any compensation for the aforementioned repair costs. We have documented your feedback for an internal review on how we may be able to improve our products, services, and brand. We apologize for any disappointment our decision may cause, and we hope you find this information helpful.
    If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad Canada.

Sincerely,

Evan Brodkin
    BMW Motorrad Canada

So I Responded with

The bike (as always) was assessed and repaired by a certified BMW technician at Wildwood motorsports in Winnipeg Manitoba. This is not material from "third party mechanics or internet sites". BMW has known that there is an issue with the overheating and eventual failure of the stator on this model. Had they not known it they would have not re-engineered the system to allow more oil to bath and cool the stator.

This is a direct BMW action to a known problem but of course it is denied by BMW as a problem. I was at a point of deciding to turn over the bikes for newer models but with the un-empathetic and cold negative response I have received in relation to this, you can bet that i will not be buying or recommending the BMW brand again.

When a major motorcycle publication finds that the reliability and trouble reports in the first 4 years of ownership rates 9th out of 10 (even surpassed by Harley Davidson) I think it is time that i moved on to a more reliable brand that stands behind their product and admits that there may have been a problem beyond the warranty period.

Its been a slice BMW. I always looked up to the brand over the years and thought I was getting one of those high mileage lifetime reliable motorcycles that were so prevalent as I rode through my years. With a multi thousand dollar repair after just 45,000km from a KNOWN poorly engineered system, I see that you are simply another brand with an overpriced so-so product who simply sticks your nose in the air and denies when asked about a known problem.
    Shame
    BMWf800gs likes this.
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    All you can do is vote with your money, that's what I did with Honda after my CBF1000 stator died. Same issue as the BMWs, some guys are on their 3rd or 4th stator. Honda redesigned the stator on newer models. They had better luck in Europe and the UK with Honda quietly good willing failed stators, even years out of warranty but Honda Canada, same cold, indifferent response as you got. That Honda was the least reliable bike I've owned, thank goodness I'm riding and enjoying piling the miles on a couple reliable bikes now: my Moto Guzzi Griso, and Ural! :lol3

PS We've owned several BMWs but had long since moved on since the 06 RT.
  14. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi JR,,,,,I got the same to say, Jack is my go-to guy, and once I switched to a series R/R I have not burned a stator or cooked a battery.
    JRWooden likes this.
  15. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to order a R/R from Jack. What is the correct cable length I need to the battery?
  16. Klrhani

Klrhani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jack will sort you out, he will give you the correct harness and it will reach your battery no sweat

charliektm400exc likes this.
  17. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Jack did hook me up. This kit was a breeze to put on. Man the SH847 is a freaking monster. I almost didn't have a place to put it. If I hadn't ordered his bracket I would have been screwed today getting it on. The stock BMW R/R bracket will no mount the SH847, but I did use it to mount Jack's bracket. His supplied screws actually fit in the holes on the BMW bracket.

Also to note that the kit's wiring and the BMW stator wires are the exact gauge.

Here is my job:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are my main problems with what I did:

1: The bracket is only held on my one bolt to the bike. It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

2: The heat sinks to do not face the wind. I'm hoping it will stay cool (it seems to be so far). There is just no other way to mount the R/R with the wires plugged in and have it secured. I was also making sure I kept it away from the engine.

3: I'm hoping my tape, heat shrink, and water proofing of the old positive and negative wires will stand up to the conditions.

Jack's instructions were great and very helpful. Also some of the write ups on this posting were also very informative.

Things I did a little different:

I used those automotive cable sleeves to not only make things nice and neat but also add a little more barrier from the engine heat and the elements.

I ran the wires through most inside of the frame and zip tied them to parts of the frame.

It really helps to take all the furniture off; easier to sort through wires.

Zip ties, zip ties, zip ties, oh my!

So far it is registering 13.4 to 13.9 on the voltmeter at idle, and 14.3-14.4 at rev. I am hoping this will save my stock stator. Bike is a 2009 so we will see.
  18. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Ivooo

Ivooo n00b

Oddometer:
    Dnes jsem mluvil telefonicky s panem Marešem z firmy zabývající se repasím spálených statorů (různými značkami moto) a dotazoval se, zda má být dodán sériový regulátor, který vybírá zbylé proudy na kostru vozidla. Řekl mi, že je neprodukují, protože podle jejich měření byl přínos těchto regulátorů na chlazení statoru minimální. Dobré vodivé spojení statoru s víkem může být dobré pro přenos tepla a chlazení přes víko. Omotání výfukových svodů nemá téměř žádný význam pro životnost statoru - mám to udělat už dlouho a stator střílel stejně. Budu mít repas statoru od firmy http://www.previjeni-regulatory.cz/ mají výborné recenze a cena opravit 2600, -Kč tak snad vydrží víc než originál. PS - stator hoří podle něj na "všech" moto - není to jen BMW F800
  20. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google Translate:
    Today I spoke to Mr. Mares from a repaired stator repairer (different moto brands) by phone and asked if a serial controller would be delivered to select the remaining currents on the carcass. He told me he did not produce them, because according to their measurements the contribution of these regulators to stator cooling was minimal. A good conductive connection between the stator and the lid can be good for heat transfer and cooling through the lid. Wrapping the exhaust ducts has almost no meaning for the life of the stator - I have to do it for a long time and the stator has shot the same. I will have a repas stator from http://www.previjeni-regulatory.cz/ have excellent reviews and the price to repair 2600, -Kč so it will probably last longer than the original. The PS - stator burns according to him on "all" moto - it's not just the BMW F800
    charliektm400exc likes this.