Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ivooo

Ivooo n00b

Oddometer:
    Takže mi poslali přepracovaný stator na F800GS vypadá jako nový :)

Attached Files:

2. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know how to search and I have before any of you chime in. It is hard to decipher through the random remarks left and right on here. I can't find my answer or I wouldn't be asking. The BMW manual says I need to remove the magnetic gear? If I am just replacing the flywheel, I do not need to do this step right? It looks like the stator is attached to the cover? Correct me if I am wrong. I am stranded on my way to Alaska and running our of patience. Got an electrosport stator on the way.
  3. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I messed with the little gear when I swapped the flywheel, but if you're just doing the stator then you really don't have to mess with anything on the engine side, since the stator is mounted to the cover.
  4. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Thank you. The bmw manual made it soubd like you needed the puller.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  5. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cover will have magnetic resistance to removing it, and don't get your fingers pinched when you reinstall it. But you don't need a puller if you have some sense.
    nickgindy likes this.
  6. c4nuck

c4nuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be careful with the gasket if you plan to re-use it! If its not 100% you'll have to trash it and use gasket maker to seal it back on (which needs at least overnight to set).

I found out the hard way and had oil dripping onto the header while I rode from Bryce Canyon, UT to Phoenix to get a new gasket. Smoke Show!
  7. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Roach motel repairs. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

shuswap1, =o&o> and Loutre like this.
  8. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Was fresh out of gaskets so we bought gasket maker from autozone. Holding up thus far.

9. GS-A-Day

GS-A-Day Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heard a new theory from a BMW dealer: stators are killed by aging batteries. Replacing batteries every three years would prevent stator failure. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that's the case, why did BMW redesign the fly wheel? Or in the case of my Honda CBF1000, why did Honda add an extra oil passage way to the stator housing to aid in cooling? Crap theory IMHO. I guess installing a new battery could mask the problem temporarily but it sure isn't going to increase the life of your stator.
    nickgindy, NaMi and nvklr like this.
  11. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that was the case I think about every bike out there with a battery would be prone to having stator problems. I call bs on that theory.
  12. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good dealer to stay far away from.
    nickgindy likes this.
  13. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Think he was dyslexic. On these bikes replacing the stator every 3 years saves your battery. Lol.

A decent volt meter can help you monitor both I would say.

=o&o> likes this.
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Just piling on:
    The OEM regulator runs the stator at 100% of its possible output at all times, and just dumps whatever power is not needed,
    so while a week battery might require more charging, the stator is working at 100% output all of the time anyway,
    so it's load would not be "lightened" by a better battery..............
    NaMi likes this.
  15. lunaticTR

lunaticTR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My voltmeter on the bike started to show less voltage (13.3V) even when I turned on just 2 led lights, a total of 32W. So I dedided to rewind the old one and put that it in. My new version stator still looks well on the outside after about 90Kkm (about 56Km). Old one lasted about 61Kkm and was completely chared.. Could it be possible that the wires started to fail inside? I noticed the insulation of the wires that go into the joint were stripped. Maybe they are the same under that varnish.
    15588029803843661020355486661586.jpg
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I would guess the three "bare" wires were like that when it was new ... with just varnish insulation.
    Did you do any electrical tests before removing it?

Here are the three easy tests ... you can only do #2 on the bike, but the other two you can do with the stator in your hands...
    Test #2 would give you data on windings being shorted out to each other ....
    if a few turns on one of the three windings were shorted internally but not to ground you would get (say) 75V, 75V, 50V....
    If a BUNCH of windings are shorted to each other then test #1 might show it.... as you would get two very similar resistance readings and one that was lower...

1. Resistance of windings (1-2, 2-3, 1-3) should all be ~3.5 ohms.

2. With stator unplugged - At 4K rpm AC output should be ~75V across all three "pairs"

3. The windings should NOT conduct to ground (should be insulated from ground connection)
  17. lunaticTR

lunaticTR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I did not test it. I did rewind the old one, resistance measures gave me the same result. I put that in and the voltage drop is the same. Then I realised, instead of turning the the led light on, I turned the high beams on and the voltage did not go down at all, though the power of the high beam was 55w while the LEDs were 36w total. I came to the conclusion that the led drivers, which are switching power supplies, causing noise in the lines which, in turn, confusing the regulator. I tested it with the heating jacket. It powers it nicely, even at the idle, but when I rev it up it not only do the usual 0,5V drop but it even goes down further. I assume that it is also caused by the led headlight I installed a couple of years ago, when my complaint of voltage drop started, I believe. Next, I will unplug it and plug in regular incandescent bulb and test it.
    Meanwhile rewinding the old one cost me $25, and I have enough material for at least another 2.
    20190530_090350.jpg 20190530_100718.jpg
    shuswap1 likes this.
  18. wasikengwee

wasikengwee n00b

Oddometer:
    Any recommended sites to buy OEM stator and regulator / rectifier?
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
  20. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Electrosport was great. Great customer service too.