Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by C5!, Jul 11, 2011.

1. BBohemian

BBohemian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ElectroSport stator and SH775 r/r is good combo.

SH847 regulator is just too big to deal with. At the moment, someone from AZ is selling genuine SH775 on eBay for $100 shipped (which is $50+ less u would pay to Polaris if buying directly from them)...

You will also a harness to put it all together. Jack at RoadsterCycle sells super-harness that u can use. He can also get SH775 still, if u don’t want to take chances on eBay and don’t mind paying retail. He is a really good guy and very helpful.

Edit: the above opinion is based on my install on 2009 F800GS. I’d not put OEM back in.
  2. xcuzzi

xcuzzi n00b

Oddometer:
    I replaced the battery and noticed later that it was not charging. I checked battery voltage and it did not increase when the motor was running. After reading some (not all !) of this posting I ordered the Electrotec stator and installed it. The cover came off easy. The hardest part was disconnecting the stator wiring at the plug. BMW did a great job of hiding that. Also, I used silicone gasket maker because the gasket came apart and it did not look like there was any oil in that space anyway . . . when I got it back together, there was pretty significant oil leak from the top of the case, sooo . . . I looked up the gasket on the MAX BMW parts fiche and called San Diego BMW. Stunner, they had it "in stock' so I am headed there to pick up the gasket right now. My F800GS is a 2010. This stator lasted 62K miles, and I did NOT change the regulator rectifier.
    scarygary and =o&o> like this.
  3. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Not to beat a dead horse but I just bought a 09 F650GS twin with 43,000 miles on it. After going thru all 65 pages here the issue seems to be the heat generated by the stator and exhaust pipes and not being able to get the heat out. So for talks sake if a good size air vent was made at the top of the case and extended up 6-8" with some baffles so that any oil being flung around inside the case would go partially up vent then drain back down into case would that work for air cooling? And let the hot air dissipate out the top. Maybe a secondary vent hole can be made lower so you would get hot air going out top ,pulling in cooler air into lower vent. Put some filter material over the vent exit end so dirt/water wouldn't enter in thru the vents? Or am I missing something? I think I remember seeing older road bike racers with large holes drilled in the side of the mag covers and they were exposed to the air that way. Some automobile alternators are open also. Just thinking would this be theoretically feasible .
    Kinda like this vented cover that Cafe Husky showed online? rj
    [​IMG]
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    rj:

Just my $0.02....

While that could work ... the flywheel design was updated ~04/12 to be vented and seems to have solved the issue...
    so likely the easiest fix would be to locate one of them ...
    I would guess that would not be too hard....

Or

Maybe do what I did back when the new flywheels were very uncommon:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...em-series-style-regulator-r-r-project.890729/

My 2009 has the series reg. and the Electrosport stator and I have done ~60K miles since then in very hot weather
    (see my avatar) with no issues....

again... just my $0.02
  5. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My BMW F650GS SE build date is 2/2012 and it has the updated fly wheel. I opened it up to check before buying an updated fly wheel since someone said 4/2012 and newer has the updated fly wheel my bmw stator.jpg
  6. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Mustard, I would be interested to know after you have ridden the bike and got it good and warm, if the RH side case is noticeably hotter then the LH case is? My 09 stator side runs above 200 deg. and clutch side 40-50 deg less using an infrared thermometer. I can really feel a difference with my bare hand. Stator side will burn my hand if left on it very long. thanks.
    Can you take off stator cover without draining the motor oil? thanks rj
  7. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with the RH side been much hotter than the left. After installing a series regulator and the update flywheel, both cases were the same temperature.
  8. Eurolanc

Eurolanc Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My factory stator burned out shortly after getting my bike, I went with the Euro Moto Electrics (EME) upgraded one and it lasted me about a year then burned up. I had them send me a warranty replacement (which they overnighted to me at no extra cost) and that one has been good every since. Huge shoutout for their support and paying the expedited shipping.

I currently have the hex can, clearwater lights, phone charger and GPS installed. no issues in the past 12 months
  9. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    I checked my recently purchased 09 F650GS stator and found its coils were black with old style flywheel. I added two 1/8 npt holes one in center of case and one towards the top to add a way for the hea t to get out of the stator case. Black hose in center of BMW case to let air in and an aluminum air muffler towards top of case to let hot air out and keep dirt and water from getting in. Hoping convection of hot air and venturi effect of air muffler shape will pull cooling air thru the stator assembly and cool it down some. Easy to plug holes if it doesnt help I guess, but thought Id give it a try and see. Rj
    20200531_125752.jpg
    20200601_175723.jpg

Attached Files:

10. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    You are missing an engine mount bolt.
    Unless you took off a set of crash bars to access the cover.
    I don't know about this mod though.
  11. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    good eye Maz. Yes I removed the engine guards to make it easier to get cover off. rj
    The Maz likes this.