Another bike damaged by Girag

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CheckerdD, Nov 11, 2011.

1. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it was a KLR. It was a ride report where you and a buddy rode through a tunnel.
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Listen up folks, the rules are straightforward. This site is a great resource and is provided to you free of obnoxious advertising and fees. The least you can do is respect the owner's very simple request.

We have a lot of vendors here who provide great services and 99% of them generate business from ADV b/c they are ambassadors to the riding community not because the spam every thread they post in.

Gaston is the only vendor I routinely get complaints about. The only one. The thread he started was in clear violation of the rules and it was closed and punted. This is routine procedure at ADV. I try to be more lenient here b/c we have a lot of riders on the road in LA and I think it's important to balance their needs with the spirit of the law.

And LR, perhaps you can express your criticism of forum policy without the personal attacks? You don't know me so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with your word collages. In the interest of charity and openness I'll clear up a couple matters that clearly cause you immense distress. Firstly, I've dug and shared my fair share of fighting holes with my fellow Marines and I can assure you they had no qualms with my abilities, in training or combat. And lastly, I've been fortunate to have a mildly successful career, one that's allowed me to amass the resources necessary to take a couple years off from work and travel the world. I have not benefited from any corporate sponsors, gov't bail out, or welfare, corporate or otherwise. A handful of members here were kind enough to send a few bucks my way and I'm thankful for their generosity. And of course I've had the support of my very understanding wife. There you have it. Now you can sleep at night. :D
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    OK, gotcha.
    The headlight on my 1150 was almost as worthless.
  4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It was the driest, most-droll ride report ever. Well done.
  5. bananaman

Oddometer:
    so you're saying that Gaston gets special treatment, even though he sometimes gives terrible service?

I thought vendor-on-vendor bashing was bannable spam.

I thought posting private messages was bannable.

In his Vendors thread, Gaston is threatening to sue me. I haven't done anything wrong. I thought that threatening another inmate was a bannable offense.

I thought constant spamming was bannable.

Gaston's "good advice" includes telling inmates that you can only ship to SA via Miami. This isn't true and when he gets people to ship their bikes all the way to him, then he's making an unreasonable profit on their ignorance. I thought this is not permitted on Advrider, and was bannable.

I thought doubling posts and posting multiple threads on the same topic at the same time in multiple forums was bannable.

I hope you don't ban me and I'm not insulting you or saying anything bad about you, MG, but it seems to me like you are not enforcing any of those rules. Gaston's not just a pita, he's a spammer willing to rip off a vulnerable traveler.
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Obviously I'm the only person with my opinion?
  7. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't know Gaston from the last fuel fill I got. Zero ties - only by way of his posts here.

He has both good info and crappy info posted. Who will clear it?
    Nobody does, because it's all eventually sifted out thru real experince.
    And that's what I think is super about this forum.

One guy may think it sucks bigtime, and another might think its smooth. Let's let the experiences roll, and them be induvidual personal judges. Their experience. Choices...

I suspect that The Misery is now out of his TFM mode (a temp thing), and wanting to find a new landing/face on this forum, and a very new cyber respect. He has insulted more good, solid people than I can imagine. And he did it like a duck in water - his home ground. And so many were real riders. Out of control.

As others have said here, let's allow Gaston to explore further.
    No harm.

I suspect he's learning, and may be able to give better info as time goes on.

Time...what never ,ever stops...
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man

I'm currently shopping for a pontoon boat 'good deal' in your neck of the woods to take down the river to NO or the Intercoastal. A summer adventure trip.

Got the water bug now....
  9. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Gaston has been given more opportunities than any other vendor here so your point is rather moot.

I can't disrespect anyone who doesn't respect themselves. And that will be your last word on CSM matters, LR. Got it? If you want to discuss CSM politics go there and do so. You will not do it here.
  10. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Some matters deserve an instant ban, some don't. Like I said previously, I am trying to balance the needs of riders with the spirit of the rules here.

I don't know why you think I would ban you for discussing policies here.
  11. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Misery Goat,

Since I seen my name reflected on several comments above, it is time for the moderator to stop bad intentions and defamatory statements here that that's not corresponding with reality.
    It told already to all the audience in our vendor thread that , any person exposing us and lying against our vendor matters (on vendors and regular threads) are subject to our decision of any legal action.
    We never have had any relation or known 'BANANAMAN' for letting him to publicly making statements about :
    Giving bad service, lying people about shipping offers, even scrutiny or telling us what I should ask for a fee or not. Who is him? Have no idea.
    Our vendor page is plagued with suppositions and confusing stuff from him which is against any policy. He cannot make defamatory statements against any company in the world without been serviced or experienced such thing. We don't know 'Bananaman' , never had any kind of commercial relation with him.

Whoever has not received service from SAMX cannot evaluate us, is that simple!,
    Sorry to have to write but this is the fact of what I am reading above and everywhere.
    Anything else could be read on our vendor thread.

Thanks
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Mainly I just quote you, ask questions, and then try to figure out which of your contradictions are valid. I can do this because I'm an actual rider, I've ridden to Soith Merica, and I've shipped airfreight via Girag and via freight forwarder, from Panama to Bogota, and Buenos Aires to Chicago. You, Gaston, are not a rider; you're a spamming vendor.
  13. bananaman

Oddometer:
    PM being sent.
  14. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I understand that you asked to be a Mod in this forum, and that you now have the power to ditch/close threads, as you personally see fit, and to ban riders from this entire site.

I wish you had not asked for that power over this forum. I understand your interest, but see zero benefit for every other person who does, and has, participated here. In other words, I see you having Mod power in this forum as a bad thing.

I've been here a tad over ten years. I've been banded a few times - three times, IIRC.

I very well know your history on this site. And you have a pretty good idea of my opinion of you, after all this time. I won't get into details about this on this post. You could be in a mood to flip the switch, and I'd be banned, again.

I won't type personally negative posts about you in the future. I'll do my best, anyway. We're all human.

I think Gaston is harmless amid experienced travelers. His stuff is easly weeded through - good bits to be found, too.

I hope you have also learned that this forum has a loose social aspect to it. Maybe you already have with Gaston - no auto cleaver.

Agian, I'll try to keep my own personal feelings about you at-bay when posting in this forum.

This forum, through it's history (go look), has been self-policed. But, you are now here, so we have to adjust.

I did get it, and do have it.

Bob
  15. bananaman

Oddometer:
    The way MG deleted posts, sanitized threads, closed threads, and moved threads to head explody did nothing to further the collective's ability to bring the truth out into the light. Like Lone Rider said, things need to stay in the open. Otherwise when mods get invloved it either looks like favoritism or worse- it looks like Latin America is a place where spamming, non-rider vendors are welcomed.

Gaston: you disparaged my ability to be an expert. What you exactly said is gone, deleted by MG. The thing you miss is that once you ride from Alaska to Ushuaia, you ARE an expert. You don't have to do it more than once; once is enough. You (not you, Gaston, but you, collectively) become an expert rider- more expert than you ever thought existed. And you're expert at all the details, from bike repair, personal survival, even shipping.

We're a tight group, we Latin America riders. Even if (when) we have personality differences, we still respect each other as riders. RIDERS. We're riders first. And most of us are solo adventure riders. Why do we do this alone? I don't know... in my case, I can almost never find anyone who can keep up. Have you ever done an Iron Butt ride? Ever twisted the throttle at 5:AM on Saturday, and then found yourself 2000 miles away only 36 hours later? Not all Latin America riders are Iron Butt riders when they leave home, but by the time they get to Ushuaia, they can laugh at the idea of 1,000 miles being "hard."

If you ever actually ride to Panama or Ushuaia, you'll get it. Meanwhile, IMHO, you're just a spamming vendor.

And to address your accusation that I'm a loser, or something like that: I'm the luckiest SOB on Advrider. I've got a sticky, a thread in the Hall of Wisdom, a photo on the front page, and one of the most popular non-motorcycle related threads. I might be a little (a little?!) obnoxious, but people keep reading what I have to say. I'm not (NOT) trying to be popular... just influential.
  16. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    You'r kidding right?
  17. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The term being 'ADVENTURER' is wide and long , its all depending on your own pocket , time and opportunities in life. I consider myself and adventurer too, long trips in bike, sailboat and other type of vessels but mainly spirit and minded one.
    My drawback in time/age is probably because I married young (25) and raised a family. I have an anthropologist, an attorney , a coast guard son and another daughter in high school. These are my other adventures.
    I don't have to run 30k kilometers of riding to consider me a real adventurer I think, but because I lived and I travel a lot in South America, I have a lot of knowledge of that too. Doesn't matter the means of transportation but the adventure of it ...correct?.

Riding from Alaska to Ushuia don't make anybody and expert IMHO. Traveling for 40 years that make you somehow an expert, after all the other matters as said above. I could ride from Alaska to the end of the world in no time too. I have the stamina and experience to do that right now. But other matters makes me not really be interested in such long trip.
    I am going to Patagonia at the end of this year and that is my adventure. Enough for me.
    I have others dreams too. Venezuela-Buenos Aires by boat, sailing Miami-Chile or boating along rivers in the U.S. , and those are big adventures for me too.

The Vendor issue , I will leave it for the Vendors area, not this thread. I think Misery Goat did the right thing, stopping those with bad intentions and defamatory statements.
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    No I'm not kidding. He even deleted posts where all I did was quote him, MG.

Gaston: if I had a nickel for every time somebody said they *could* ride Alaska:Ushuaia. The fact is, you haven't, you never will, and to me you are nothing but a spamming vendor.
  19. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've traveled for more than 40 years AND rode a bike to Ushuaia....but unlike the puffers and strutters on this thread I'm not yet an expert on any of it. Calm down and take care of your own business and the trolls and spammers will hang themselves without any encouragement.