Another bike damaged by Girag

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by CheckerdD, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Until recently, yes,
    Everybody weeded out the BS on their own.
    No babysitters needed.
    The passion, the drive, and a few brain cells have made it good and comfortable.

Killer pic, really!
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Same here. I learned a few tricks as we all do, but I a far from an expert. I just kind of amble along and everything works out fine eventually. I still dont understand the whole iron butt thing. Sounds like work to me. :lol3

Now, if you need someone to sniff out a cold beer in pretty much any little town on the planet, I'm your guy. :lol3
  3. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I'm betting thats not all you can sniff out :lol3 :lol3
  4. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:

Good one!

Made me laugh.

Best,
    John Downs
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    I cry Bullshit. You guys are f-ing experts. You've been there, done that, survived, and done it again. In the world of experts, I'm barely an apprentice compared to you guys. All I did was ride down. I flew home. You guys actually rode back.
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's true that riding back was uphill most of the way.....

But still: no experts living in my house. I spent years (literally) wandering around my own country by thumb, car, truck, bike, bus, rail, plane, foot and freight train, and even here at home I'm no expert. The whole "expert" concept is nothing but a major misunderstanding.

Mark
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should have ridden back and learned some humility. Because I do feel like an expert. I didn't feel that way until somewhere in Argentina. Maybe it was the wind.
  8. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    There you go - its all in how you feel - the defferance between an expert and someone who knows but does not feel they know.
  9. Reryder

Reryder Onward through the fog...

Oddometer:
    Expert: Def
    X is an unknown quantity.
    A spurt is a drip under pressure.
  10. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Ah, OK, fair enough. I have acquired a couple of other talents along the way. :lol3
  11. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    Interesting change of topic in this thread :lol3

Riding from US to TDF does not make a person an expert and I'm proof of that. I think L.A.experts come in the form of people who ride places like mainland Mexico with vast knowledge base like Lone RIder who at one time helped a fellow rider who was stranded in some corner of the country by posting something like

" head south toward the end of town and there's a mechanics shop, go past that shop about 100 yards, make a left hand turn, and at the alto sign there's a mechanic shop will repair motorcycles"

Other experts come in the form of solo riders getting injured enroute to TDF who stick it out, heal, repair their bikes, and continue on to TDF and THEN, turn around and ride home.

Or maybe heroes?
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Heroes. I like it.

When I was in Ushuaia, didn't you give me some seriously good advice? You got me home with something like this: "Most accidents on Everest happen on the way DOWN." And then you gave me the freight forwarder contact info I needed, and I was home in a week.

Lone Rider once removed my anxiety about a broken bike, saying something like, "Just have the parts shipped to the closest titty bar."

If my motorcycle was a space ship, like Apollo 13, and I needed emergency help, who would I trust? You guys. Go ahead and deny that you're experts. You're experts, heroes, assholes, whore mongers, and I love having you around.
  13. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Your not getting my budlight Bman :lol3
  14. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I woke up this morning feeling like doing a 4/corners ride. And my girlfriend has a conference coming up in Seattle. I could use an ai naturale soak at Doe Bay. So hold on tight to that beer, or grab a fresh 30-pack.
  15. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Can't promise a 30-pack but a couple of growlers of the NW Inland Empire's finest is always on hand :deal
  16. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No 30 packs to be had on the west coast. Only 24s. Shoot me a PM if there's something you're looking for in Seattle. I'm not there right now, but I can point you in the right direction.
  17. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Good thread creep IMO. :D

Still not an expert, maybe asshole and whore monger though, (Sorry Max :lol3) However, I now know quite a bit of information that is useless to about 99.99999999999% of the population. :freaky. My nephew put it best. "Uncle Vinnie is not a very smart man, but he knows a lot of cool shit that most people could give a flying fck about.". Gee thanks buddy, I think.

So I've got that going for me, which is nice. :lol3
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    So the thread morphed into an orgy without mod interference. He didn't have to delete posts, move the thread to the basement, or ban me. Lone Rider was right. Gaston, as usual, was wrong.

Mr Wrangler and Mr Treks: if I can make it to Seattle, I'll look you up.

Some day I'd also like to meet Tedder, Vinnie, and Lone Rider.
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Yeah. :D No Kidding.

I very much enjoy the social and informative aspects of this forum.
    Yeah, you cut your finger, and I did, too - here's a good idea about how to not cut it again, etc. Very helpful.
    It's about the travel, and inherent experiences.

'Expert' is simply a label. I won't try to get into the psychology behind what brings a label to be generally accepted, and commonly used.

Keeping a healthy, free and open environment in this forum is important.

Personally, I like to hear about the things that went wrong. This gives me info I might apply to something else -maybe, totally away from that specific happening.

No veils, no fake boobies - just great stuff for those here.
  20. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Personally, I enjoy trying to de-code Lone Rider speak.
    You give some great advice even if it comes across as Jack Kerouac on acid at times. :-)

Cheers,
    John Downs