Another bike down in work zone..BE CAREFUL!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by theshnizzle, Jun 19, 2017.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding towards teslin,saw a downed adv bike in the construction zone between Whitehorse and teslin. No rider just bike with panniers and luggage attached with a lone RCMP there.

It was raining muddy and slick when I rode by.

PLEASE SLOW DOWN AND TAKE CARE.

from what I heard/have heard in Dawson and vicinity the construction zones are eating bikes and riders.

Be safe all....
    RevyRider and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just in, fatality ~ mile 39 of the Dalton.
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/kenai/2017/06/19/former-kenai-city-manager-dies-in-motorcycle-crash/
    Former Kenai city manager dies in motorcycle crash

A former city manager of Kenai died after a motorcycle crash north of Fairbanks, Alaska State Troopers said.

Troopers received a report just before noon Sunday of the single-vehicle wreck that fatally injured 60-year-old Rick Koch, according to an online dispatch. The call came from a home in Livengood, on the Dalton Highway about 50 miles northwest of Fairbanks.

"(Koch) had been riding with several friends in the vicinity of Mile 39 of the Dalton Highway when his motorcycle went off the road," troopers wrote. "Koch's associates drove him to Livengood, where they were able to contact a resident with a phone."

Koch wasn't wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, troopers said. He received CPR at the scene and a medical evacuation aircraft was sent from Fairbanks, but medics pronounced him dead when they arrived.

Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters didn't have any further detail from investigators Monday on why Koch's motorcycle left the highway. She said his body would undergo an autopsy.

Koch was Kenai's city manager until last year, when he ran as a Republican for a state House seat covering Kenai and Soldotna. He was defeated in a four-way GOP primary, however, coming in second to eventual general-election victor Gary Knopp.

City of Kenai officials said in a statement that Koch had served as city manager for a decade until he retired in December to spend more time with family. Koch was credited with overseeing improvements to the local water system, library and municipal park, as well as turning around the Kenai Airport's finances and being the "architect" behind local oversight of the July dipnet fishery.

Former Kenai Mayor Pat Porter said Koch's public service reflected "his strong belief and dedication to the values of what America is all about."

"Our hearts go out to his son, Alex, and his family," Porter said. "He was Kenai's friend and we will all miss him."
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    A web photo from March 2014 of Rick Koch. RIP.

[​IMG]
    ThatGuy and jfman like this.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Be careful guyz! Lotsa Moose east of Palmer. I had my closest encounter with an animal ever. Brushed up against a moose crossing the road near the big curve (109 mile marker)

Thought for sure I was gonna hit it but He barely touched me with his mouth and left moose saliva on my top case. I still cant believe it happened this way. Carrying too much speed late so after this I slowed down despite the nice road.

After this I saw multiple moose in the section east of the sharp curve.

IMG_5666.JPG IMG_5669.JPG

Attached Files:

5. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    The Dalton claims yet another fellow rider. Very sad. RIP Rick
    ThatGuy likes this.
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    These are two seperate fatalities.

Two recently retired men. Very tragic.

Thoughts to both families.
    akgsa and AkBrian like this.
  7. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's about as close as you want to get, lucky.
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I hereby name that bike the snot rocket!

...and you a lucky individual.

[​IMG]
    smilin jack, SunshineTom and jfman like this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    good pic for an ad.... "moose proof" cans

I came almost that close to one coming down Arctic Valley road a couple days before D2D doing a tire test. and the 2 black bears in todays paper.... seen them 3 days in a row on the same road, plus the mother twice
    jfman likes this.
  10. -Meanderthal

-Meanderthal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I almost hit at large bird (owl I think) while doing about 80 on the Glenn last weekend. I'd hate to find out what a bird that size does at that speed.
  11. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    An indicator may be the OPP constable who was riding the OPP motorcycle and hit a goose.

Numerous serious injuries including loss of a leg I believe.
  12. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    That poor guy was knocked out cold and then crashed when the goose hit him in the head.

I had a goose come at me once, protecting it's nest. I ducked my head and heard it's claws scrape across the top of my helmet.
  13. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    I often wonder how many bikes get hauled off the Haul Road and how many riders get a helicopter ride without a window seat. Anybody know?
    I'm thinking 20 bikes and 8 riders for the three month riding window.
  14. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    And not just the haul road, Denali too.
    I've wondered the same thing, I helped two riders last summer, both with injuries and flew home.
    Used to occasionally see damaged bikes in George's yard back when he had Trails End BMW.
    djroszina likes this.
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Back when I ran the dorms at UAF I think a large portion of the people headed to Deadhorse stayed on campus. A conservative SWAG is 40% and most stayed with us both before and after their ride north. I do not ever recall dealing with or hearing about one of our guests requiring medical evacuation or worse. Saw a fair number of damaged bikes and second hand info about minor injuries, but I don't recall much more. Of course, there is a hella of a lot I don't recall these days.
    Beezer likes this.
  16. CVG

CVG 2009 BMW f800GS

Oddometer:
    I didn't see anything along these lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. ErraticAKn

ErraticAKn On roads less traveled...

Oddometer:
    We have hauled two off already - most recently a KTM

The rider broke his collarbone.
  18. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    John Mitchell, AKA Mitch on advrider died this morning. You may remember him coming to Alaska for D2D then driving to Utah to watch Chad compete in the GS trophy. A big Aussie with a big heart. We will sure miss him. If anyone has photos please post them and I'll share with his sister. Thanks, Barb