Another Boring Deadhorse, AK Ride Report

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Hoologan, Oct 9, 2014.

1. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mosquitos really only hit biblical plague proportions while we were north of the Brooks Range. Everywhere else they where merely annoying. :)
  2. Mastercylinder

Mastercylinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report and pics. Thank you. Did an Alaska trip back in 2009. Brought back memories. That was an adventure.
    By the way, are those Shinko 705s on most the bikes? If so how do you like them? Also, what was the capacity of those Rotopaks you guys had on your bikes?
    Again, thanks for the great pics.

Attached Files:

3. StrokedNBored

StrokedNBored Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think "watched him save it 3 times before he got it straight" was a bit of an exaggeration... maybe twice :evil

Keith - you are dead nuts on about the K60's. They were nice on the dirt and all, but Fuck me were they squirrely on the road. Did you get to cross any steel grate bridges on them? :eek1

I'll have to show some people the video of the mosquitoes because everybody down here is having a hard time picturing them existing in an Arctic Tundra... little do they know.

Great pics and videos fellas. :super

-Brian
  4. StrokedNBored

Oddometer:
    Here's some riding video with you guys in it towards the end.... right up until my mirror stalk snapped anyways.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RUaTlQPQY1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed. We all had 705's on from Sacramento, up to Deadhorse, and back to Fairbanks. It was the first time I had run those tires and I have to say I was quite pleased. Wish I had another set of those instead of the K60's I had waiting for me.

I did some "run it dry" testing with my 990 before the trip and found I could get about 210 miles on a tank under ideal consitions. I decided to go with a 2 gallon Rotopax to make the 250 miles between Coldfoot and Deadhorse and have wiggle room to spare. I don't think I came anywhere near to coming up short, but I burned a bit more fuel than I expected.
  6. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha, I think you crashed and just missed the ground. :rofl

Good to hear from ya, man. Hope the rest of your trip went well. Did actually hit a couple steel spans down in Canada. I guess they seemed tame after the stupid long steel bridge we crossed over the Columbia river on the way up.
  7. ChopperCopper

ChopperCopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done gentlemen. Loved the report and Pics! I will be doing this trip myself soon. Great job!:clap
  8. Mastercylinder

Mastercylinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your response. Glad to hear your 990 had a better range than our Urals. Always carried a 5 gal. can of fuel on trips...just in case.:D
  9. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Valdez looked awesome, BTW.
  10. the_doc

the_doc Street Convert

Oddometer:
    Good READ!

What was your total mileage?
  11. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our 20 day trip was 4 days on the ferry, which was essentially the fried food and booze cruise, and just a tad over 6k miles in the saddle.
  12. StrokedNBored

Oddometer:
    Haha, pretty close.
    I must say, it's my preferred way to crash. Sure beats the alternative. Given the choice, I'll take it every time.
  13. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice report. Great companions, great ride, great scenery...you can't ask for anything more.
  14. Hoologan

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone.

We didn't get too much into equipment, conditions, thoughts on the difficulty of the Dalton, etc. Figured many folks have already done that, but if you have any questions, we'd be happy to answer.

Cheers!
  15. Hoologan

Oddometer:
    Sounds reasonable. :D
  16. Drufiddy

Drufiddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brian! I love the noogie pic. You have to post that one up separately.
  17. StrokedNBored

Oddometer:
    Here ya go Drew.

[​IMG]
  18. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah dudes! Amazing pics and RR. I just can't express my jealously properly. Up to Seattle and back was pretty awesome but I can't tell you how much I wish I was there for the rest of the journey. There is always next year. :evil
  19. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Do you ever take your helmets off! LOL! Looks like a great ride for sure and thank you for sharing it with us! I will do that trip as soon as possible! Thanks again....
  20. Tim Graichen

Tim Graichen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you mind doing a gear review? I plan on doing this same trip solo from Ohio in a couple years on my 09GS. I'm gearing up slowly but surely, piece by piece. Such things as electronics, camping equipment, photography, riding gear etc. What stuff sucked, and what stuff was great?