1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Another Boring Mexico Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by disbanded, Nov 9, 2007.

1. disbanded

disbanded Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well with all the recent Mexico threads - I wondered if I should bore you guys with one more ride report. But after the experience I had down in Mexico's Copper Canyon, this story just has to be told.

This trip included 1000 miles of riding over 5 days, awesome terrain, a scary 24 hour session of being lost in the Mexican mountains alone, happy reunions, speaking Spanish, and memories that will never be forgotten.
    Mexico and it's people is something that has to be experienced for yourself to truly understand how things are down there, and it opened my eyes wider than any other trip I have ever been on.

Our ride started last Friday when I met up with my dad, Freddie, and our friend Carles. They had driven 11 hours from Paris, Texas, while I drove 7 hours from Austin to our rendezvous point - Presidio, Texas.

Here is my bike before crossing the border. I paid $20 to park my truck behind a hotel for 7 days. I think it was called the Three Palms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we were all loaded and strapped down, we headed to the border crossing to get checked in and make our way down to Chihuahua. Should be simple, huh? Well not if your passport is 2 days expired.

I don't know how it happened, and I felt so stupid when we realized it. I had been to Europe earlier this year, and in my mind I thought it was good for 1 more year, but I stupidly never looked at it, and sure enough it expired at the end of October. That means they weren't going to let me across.

After some embarrassment and many questions of how we can get this quickly solved so I didin't have to turn around and drive 7 hours back home to Austin - the guy tells me the only way is to have my birth certificate over-nighted to Presidio and we could then start our journey the next day. They would not accept a fax of the birth certificate, they wanted to have the original, so at this point over-nighting was the only way. I was not happy that I had already put a kink into this trip.

Surprizingly, the Mexican immigration officer comes over and tells me that they will accept a fax of my birth certificate. I immediately call my wife at home and tell her to fax my certificate to me, but she was in a meeting at work and couln't get away for another hour. So we were gonna have to wait, but at least we wouldn't be waiting until the next day.

Not snother 5 minutes had passed, and even more surprizingly, another immigration officer walks up to me and had seen what we were going through. And him being one of the nicest guys in the world, he decides to let us through, expired passport and all. He gives us our stickers, and we are off! We decided that I should still have my birth certificate faxed just in case, but we could take care of that at the hotel in Chihuahua. It was 125 miles to Chihuahua of twisty and windy roads. There is a toll road that is straight as an arrow, but we decided to save that route for the way back. We were ready to do some twisties anyway.

[​IMG]

We pulled into Chihuahua and it was getting a little dark. My dad and Carles had been here a few times before and thought they knew where the hotel was, but after riding around for 30 minutes or so, Carles decides to give a guy on a moped $10 to take us to the hotel. He obliges and seems very happy to help us out. We must have been way off track because it took us 20 more minutes to get to the hotel, but who cares - as long as we weren't still stuck at the border, and we never would have found the hotel by ourselves. This is a big city - with just under a million people.

This first night we discovered a great Mexican beer called Sol, and we enjoyed our first Mexican dinner - Pollo enchiladas para mi, of course.

The next morning we were heading to Creel, at the top of Copper Canyon. We passed out in no time so we could get an early start the next day. To me the trip wasn't even starting until we got to Creel.

This is just a teaser for now, and we haven't even hit the off road sections yet. There is much to come.
  2. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry :thumb

You can't tell enough stories about Mexico to bore any adventurer. Even trip reports over the same roads traveled before are seen anew in the eyes of others.

Mexico has its own "patina" and affects everyone in a different way.

Your story about your experience at the border has already helped untold future Mexico travelers.

Paying a guy on a moped or a taxi driver a small amount of money to lead you to your hotel was a wise - and classic - way of finding your bed in the evening. Good post just for that.

Just remember that you are not retelling anybody else's ride report - you are telling your own, very unique, personal experience. The fact that it is taking place on a motorcycle and that you are traveling outside your comfort zone (mostly) makes for a great story.

We are standing by and applauding you for an intriguing start to what should be a fine tale....

Bob :jose
  4. bunkeymutt

bunkeymutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought you didn't need your passport to get in/out til next year?

*checks passport expiration date*
  5. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    What Bob said...I can always read a new one, and they are all different. :D
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It's one of those nice things about Mexico (and Latin America). There can always be some exceptions to the rules...

I really don't understand why you people keep getting lost in Chihuahua, it's not that difficult to navigate around it... :dunno

:lol3

Gustavo
  7. freddiekd

freddiekd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, since you are my son and didn't have any idea you were going to tell this wonderful story of another exciting adventure, I can't wait!
    Since you first started riding as a little squirt on a KX60 you were hooked.
    You rode many enduros with me and you were often alone broken down, stuck in the mud on that 60, or not being able to jump that ditch like the big bikes, you still made it to the finish line often winning your class.
    So getting lost is not a life ending experience for you. You made the best of the situation even though Carles and I worried. But I didn't worry about your getting lost and not surviving, but that you rode like you did the enduros flat out and "straightened out" a curve and flew off a cliff. Not rough roads, big rocks, washouts,mud bogs, flat tire. Those things you have no problem with, but not being familiar with the danger of meeting dumptrucks head-on around a sharp curve, with no room between you and the 1000 ft drop-off, that's what worried me. I told Carles you would be fine, maybe scared, but you would do the smartest thing about finding your way and eventually getting back to us with a learning and exciting experiece.
    Now you are an Adventurer using the tools in your head to make the best of getting lost somewhere in Mexico. What a great place to get lost with all the nicest, most accomidating,and grateful people in remote Mexico. Now are you glad you studied spanish in college? Dad
  8. disbanded

disbanded Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our hotel in Chihuahua was very nice, but the air conditioner didn't work, and that was not gonna work for us. We were able to change rooms and luckily keep cool this night. My dad tells me that in Creel we won't need an air conditioner. It's gonna be cold, down in the 40's at night. I couldn't wait.

We wake up on our 2nd day here - our hotel had 2 queen beds, so I end up sleeping with my dad (I am 30 and he just turned 58 by the way).

I wake up the next morning when my dad rolls over and starts to spoon me. I can feel his giant belly on my back and I jokingly tell him that I sure hope he has underwear on. He laughs and tells me that I will want to be this close to my son too one day when I have one. I guess he is right, so I let him keep doing for a few more minutes.

I am so ready to get out of Chihuahua and into the mountains. Little did I know that it is more highway down to Creel. 200 miles to be exact. It isn't a bad ride though, there are a few interesting towns that we passed through and had lunch in Cuauhtemoc. My dad was also being visited by the spirit of Montezuma this morning after eating some ice and this required quite a few stops. We were hoping he would be able to make it, but he was getting sicker. We found a farmacia in Cuauhtemoc and get some medicine. Fred toughs it out and we head down the road.

We finally pull into Creel and it is quite a culture shock for me. I have been all over the world and never seen anything like this. These people are very poor. I saw many houses with no windows or anything. You don't know how to feel about it at first and it is kind of shocking, but the people are still so proud and generous, and proud to have us in their country. Children and men waved as we rode in. There were even a couple of bicycle riders that came up to show off their wheelie skills. Muy Bueno Amigos!!

I'm sure some yof you guys recognize this hotel. I definitely recommend this place (Hotel Margarita) because they feed you dinner and breakfast which is included in the price. It is very clean and they treat you right.

Hotel Margarita - the place to stay
    [​IMG]

The other way
    [​IMG]

The courtyard after dark
    [​IMG]

Swedes in the dinner area
    [​IMG]

The man, the myth, the Tony (me)
    [​IMG]

Dad and his Iron lung (He's gonna kill me for this picture)
    [​IMG]

Morning on our way to breakfast
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow -- The Ride Truly Begins - To Batopilas!!!!!!!
  9. Mr.Moose

Mr.Moose Living the Adventure

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure.. riding in Mexico's gotta be real boring.. :thumb

Now please bore us with your ride pics :lol3

:lurk:lurk
  11. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Yep ... bore us!

We were there in January.

We made the run from Presidiio to Creel in one day ... a huge mistake IMHO.

Can't wait for more!
  12. Weekend_warrior

Weekend_warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an Iron Lung as well. How does he store it when riding?
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Dude! You cant stop there, more please.:D
  14. disbanded

disbanded Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, back on the road again. Creel to Batopilas - 100 kilometers (approx. 70 miles). And still before any real excitement started.

Oh, and someone please tell the girl at the front desk I as sorry for accidentally running off with this. But is a great souvenir, and I don't want to send it back.
    [​IMG]

It's 30 quick road miles before you get to the dirt, but they are good miles. Finally we are getting into some real twisty stuff, like 180 degree turns that are so much fun. And the scenery is changing to mountains and now you can really start seeing how the Tarahumara Indians live. The Tarahumara Indians live in this area, and they simply live off of the land. You see them everywhere, living in the mountians, walking the roads, and it is a true sight to see. These people really live out there, and wow, that was so beyond anything I had imagined.

Our first rest break came when I saw my first really great mountian scene, and we picked a good place to stop because there was actually a little Indian settlement right below us.

Look closely and you can see a door in the rocks. I guess this is their house. And look just to the left of the door and you can see some stairs carved into the rocks. We sat there and took it all in for quite a while.
    [​IMG]

And this was up to the left
    [​IMG]

The bikes
    [​IMG]

The dad
    [​IMG]

Carles telling me how it is
    [​IMG]

More riding please.

We finally get to the offroad section and I am ready to move. But there is construction on the first part of the road and we end up weaving our way through dump trucks and dust for the first few miles. We even have to jump off the road a time or 2 to bypass some heavy machinery. Ok by me, I thought that was part of the fun.

Our first view of the good stuff.
    [​IMG]

Later dudes.
    [​IMG]

There goes Carles on the trusty DR
    [​IMG]

Watch out for trucks
    [​IMG]

Our next stop was in this tiny little town, if you can even call it a town.
    Two kids walked up to us basically like we were aliens. They were very interested in what we were doing. My dad had the greatest idea to bring Tootsie Rolls to give to the kids and it was perfect. They happily took the candy and gave us all 5's.

Watch out for Topes too. This means huge speedbump to you and me. Don't forget to stand up and gas it so you can wheelie it.
    [​IMG]

A little dusty
    [​IMG]

Daddio
    [​IMG]

The next 20 miles into Batopilas are awesome. The scenery is great and every new corner warrants another picture. So here are a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would make it down there later
    [​IMG]

My favorite picture of the whole trip I think.
    [​IMG]

Carles met some Indians who let them take their picture, and this doesn't happen too often. You must always ask permission to take pictures with the Indians.

Senor Nacho and his handmade violin
    [​IMG]

Me coming down the mountain
    [​IMG]

Carles down the road
    [​IMG]

Me up the road
    [​IMG]

Then we needed another break. It was getting hotter as we dropped lower into Copper Canyon.
    [​IMG]

Showing dad my new IMS gear shifter. If you wear moto boots, this thing is a must.
    [​IMG]

Carles on the bridge
    [​IMG]

My keys!!!
    [​IMG]

Me on the bridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of many shrines along the road
    [​IMG]

And then we finally roll into Batopilas. Another culture shock for me, but this ends up being such a great little town.
    [​IMG]

So here is a very tiny taste for now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The square
    [​IMG]

And we had a great night there living the life of a true Copper Canyon Mexican. More on that later.
  15. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:

Bore us again
  16. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent so far!!!

You can't bore us enough...
  17. disbanded

disbanded Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wait til I get lost. Very boring.
  18. Hotfoot777

Hotfoot777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks
  19. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult but Useful

Oddometer:
    Yes, you were at the Three Palms in Presidio.

Did you eat next door at the Oasis?

We really enjoyed the Hotel Margarita as well, we felt like we had our own cook and waitress.

(didn't like not having hot water in the afternoon though...:huh )

Loved the atmosphere in Creel. like a mixture of wild west/Mexican ville/small town.

Great stuff, thanks! :clap
  20. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :dealall these Copper Canyon threads lately have got me itching to ride south!:ricky