Another bunch of motorcycle shops closed today in the Seattle area......

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Brokein2, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Brokein2

Brokein2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This from my wife who has worked at many of the bike shops here in the Seattle area...

"Well, any customers of my shop NobleRush (formerly Hinshaw's), you will need to look elsewhere for parts. Our new owner just closed the doors and we are all out of a job. Please support your local bike shop, if you have one. These days it is getting harder to stay open as we have all seen too many shops close. Thank you all for supporting us and myself all these years."

Apparently the owner who also owns Seattle BMW and Ducati of Redmond hadn't been paying his bills and today the bank took possession of all 3 shops and all the employees are layed off.

Wife was going to retire in 2 months anyway but it really sucks for all the younger folks that were trying to provide us all with parts and service to fuel our needs.
  2. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Damn, just called BMW. Nobody home. So all three are gone for good?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  3. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Damn.. sucks to hear that..
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit!
  5. Brokein2

Oddometer:
    Nobody has a clue to what might happen but at this point the bikes are all being taken away and the doors locked.
  6. Motorius

Oddometer:
    My favorite BMW tech was in Noble Seattle.

That was a good shop.
    Jontaff and jconli1 like this.
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Going to be interesting. Can’t imagine a major city like seattle not having a BMW dealership.
    BruceWA and cgguy09 like this.
  8. Motorius

Oddometer:
    There’s the place in Tacoma, and I’m pretty sure there’s another one in north Seattle.
  9. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As best I can tell, BMW MC of Seattle is still open - there's was at least one salesperson working there this morning to answer my email. BTW not so noble Hinshaws still has a live website.
  10. Brokein2

Oddometer:
    That might have been before the axe fell....believe me - nobody is answering calls and the doors are locked.
  11. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Another example of money (MS) does not equal business sense. Too bad for all those real people involved.
    Motorius likes this.
  12. kaptain

kaptain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, thats pretty sad news.

On a side note I just found out cyclegear opened a location in Queen Anne. I'm not a fan of their in house brands but you can order the better stuff online and do free returns. They have a lot of the basic motorcycle crap in store, fluids, chain lube, etc. This is super convenient for a city dweller like me.
    Eatmore Mudd and Trinity_Session like this.
  13. kaptain

kaptain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the history, did the hinshaws owner buy ride west and the tacoma one?
  14. mkjdds

mkjdds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    South Sound In Fife/Tacoma is still owned by Anne And Keith Thye, although they have it up for sale.
    BruceWA likes this.
  15. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Wow. I'm blown away. I almost didn't read this thread because I thought to myself "I do my own maintenance, and if all else fails, BMW of Seattle surely isn't closing anytime soon." F* me I'm a Fing F*

Every time I went in there, they seemed to be doing pretty good business. Speedy service. Good techs. Always had what I needed. I never had a bad experience. I feel bad for all the hard working folks.

On a personal note, I really needed to pick up some parts. I wonder if/when/how they'll clean out their inventory? I'm guessing that's a corporate/franchise nightmare.
    Motorius likes this.
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in there at the beginning of last month -
    The kid who helped my friend pick out some gear said they get more of that (people returning online purchases) than actual sales to people walking in. I guess that’s part of the problem of running a local dealer - so many of us are following the amazon model and doing so much shopping online. Sucks when you need to talk to someone who actually knows something though.

Wherever you are, if you have good local shop, make sure to support them when you can.
  17. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    Damn, sorry to hear about this. Its tough for dealerships to turn a profit just about all over the country right now. Here in the Bay area there's several Powersports dealers, a couple of Harley dealers, a couple of Triumph dealers and a Euro Cycles dealer. When you visit any of them during the week, its a ghost town.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  18. Motorius

Oddometer:
    When I was in Enumclaw recently the Local moto shop had only a few motorcycles...and lots of 4x4 vehicles.

The closest multiline dealer to me in AZ probably is now 1/3 motorcycles and 2/3 4x4’s
    CPAT likes this.
  19. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    From what I have heard (take it with a bucket of salt) from some folks i know in the industry, it was not online sales that did them in.
  20. Brokein2

Oddometer:
    In the past 40 years, I have never paid retail for a motorcycle part - so this is going to sting a bit. But I always laughed when I could beat dealer cost + 10% (the price employees get at most dealers) by going through one of the large online retailers....there is not a lot of markup on motorcycle parts and accessories.