Another CA title question.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by turbodmac, Aug 19, 2019.

1. turbodmac

turbodmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm selling off my KTM but "sans engine". It's titled in Virginia as street legal and the plates just recently expired (June). Is it possible to transfer the title and get some CA plates on this without it running? It would make selling it here much easier I'd guess.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Probably need year and model to get a good answer.....If sold originally as street legal with CA smog cert, I don't believe the motor would have to be installed--just a VIN inspection. But experts will chime in.
  3. turbodmac

Oddometer:
    2007. Sticker on the frame says US and CA emission blah blah blah.
  4. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's going to need a VIN and engine number verification at DMV or CHP to get California title. Doesn't have to be running but probably needs to be together as a complete bike and look the part.
    DonniBoi and Boxerbreath like this.
  5. turbodmac

Oddometer:
    Well I have to go back to the DMV to try and finish the year long saga of registering my truck anyway. May as well throw the bike in and see what gives - considering the truck BS maybe they'll go easy on the bike. :fpalm
  6. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    I went to AAA with my new out of state purchase. They wanted to see, VIN stamps and carb stickers saying CA compliant. Walk back inside and pay the fee. Throw it in the back of a truck and say you didnt want to ride it there as its not properly registered. After that do what you want with it.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    if over 7500 miles the CA cert is not needed.
    DonniBoi likes this.
  8. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
    im almost positive DMV will not let you tag the bike without a engine in it.

AAA wont do out of state motorcycle registration. ive fought with dmv to verify my buell i brought from out of state and they refused and said bring it to CHP. depending on where you live the wait may be months. call a rural chp office and see if they can get you in there earlier.

9. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    As others have said you are not going to be able to register a bike in CA without the following
    An engine in the frame with a serial number
    A bill of sale
    7500 miles on the odometer
    A good vin for the year the bike was made,

Special constructions are different.

They will also want a CHP to verify the VIN, Engine number and some times that all the road legal stuff is there.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/newvehicle
  10. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
    i think the 7500 mile rule is only for bikes that are only a few years old

11. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    From the CA DMV website
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29
    About the 7500 mile rule,

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

• Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
    • Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
    • Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
    • An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
    • Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
    • A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.
  12. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    I bought a bike over the internet in June that was registered in New Mexico and it had a New York title (Never registered in California). 2005 MV Agusta F4 1000 with 3,100 miles on the clock. All MV Agustas made after 'X' year are Federal and Ca CARB compliant but you have to have the factory sticker as AAA wont take your word for it. I rode the bike to AAA in Woodland Hills, a gal came out, verified the VIN stamps on the frame, took some numbers off of the 'This Vehicle meets Federal and California CARB bla bla bla' CARB sticker and that was it. Payed the fees and they gave me plates, registration on the spot. AAA is slightly better than DMV in regards to people skills.

The 7500 mile rule is for '49 state' vehicles. If your vehicle is California compliant (with the required stickers), its California compliant regardless of mileage.

My suggestion to throw it in the back of a truck should of been, 'slap the motor back in temporarily and throw it in a truck, then go to AAA'.

To get any out of state vehicle registered in Ca it must be A) Previously registered in Ca* or B) 50 state carb compliant with the carb label attached or C) Have over 7500 miles.

*If it was a two stroke and left the state, I dont think they will let you put it back on the road.
  13. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode my newly bought AZ registered 2007 R1200GS which tags had expired two days prior into the AAA office in La Verne. First guy went out to look at it and didn't want to get down and look at the engine vin. Went back and and a woman there, which had helped me before but didn't remember me, went out and laid on the parking lot asphalt and tried to read the numbers. She let me use a piece of paper and pencil and get the numbers off the case. No problem with an out of state registration owner change at AAA but you might not find a person who wants to get down and look for the engine number.
    DonniBoi likes this.