Another condition question

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Tanger, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Tanger

Tanger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally got a couple of free days for a ride, then we get an early snow. My plan is to head South from Parker Monday morning. Down Rampart Range Rd to Co. Springs. Up Old Stage/Gold Camp and Shelf to Canon City. Back up Phantom Canyon through Divide, over Rampart.

I think I’ll be fine with the quick warm up, but don’t really want to get into icy conditions. If anyone is in these areas over the weekend, I’d sure appreciate an update on the road conditions. Thanks in advance!
  2. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    take it slow on the shaded north facing sections and you should be fine.
  3. Tanger

Oddometer:
    Thanks Blakebird. I think I’ll take your advice. Should be pretty clear by now.
  4. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screw that!
    Ride fast, take chances, live life.
  5. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of the rampart area was wonderful today! Let us know how gold camp through to Victor is, my dad is coming in town this week and I want to take him on that same ride on Thursday.
  6. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just stopped in to see what condition your condition is in.
  7. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was probably a great ride. I rode in from Broomfield, up 67 and into Deckers. Didn't take Rampart due to time, but I bet it was awesome.
  8. Tanger

Oddometer:
    The conditions were great today. 98% clear and dry. There were some short icy sections in the shade that Blake warned about in his reply. Most of them could be avoided pretty easily.
    55FDDE9B-0017-41D0-9666-509F9433806B.jpeg
    98E02F09-69D1-46EB-A94C-D2ADE035C19D.jpeg
    B72DA7DA-620B-4C88-9825-F182210D2AF7.jpeg
    pratered likes this.
  9. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Kenny Rogers' first psychedelic song :lol3 :choppa :thumb
  11. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw your ride report, looks good. My dad is 74 and is still an avid rider, although definitely not down for anything technical. I think that looks like something we can still do together. Did you have to do the one little section up and over the closed tunnel on your route? That’s the part I’m a little concerned about with him, although I’ll just ride it over and he can walk that.
  12. Tanger

Oddometer:
    Great question. The way I understand it, the difficult bypass around the closed tunnel is on Gold Camp before it gets to Old Stage. By taking Old Stage out of the Springs, I joined Gold Camp farther along and avoided that section. Someone here with more knowledge of the area may be able to explain it better. I added day two to that ride report and it was all easy except when I think I got off route. See next post.....,
  13. Tanger

Oddometer:
    So most of what I encountered over 350 miles was nice and dry. There was a couple dozen patches like this.
    829B72D4-1A40-452E-893B-D0B264D1E07D.jpeg

I did get confused at one point and ended up backtracking after an unscheduled dismount. I’m hoping one of you who rides around Divide and Rainbow Falls can clarify this for me.

My plan was to take Cnty Rd 51 to Rd 3 from Divide and come out near Westcreek/Rainbow Falls area. The road I was on followed a stream with some beaver ponds along the way. Everything was going smoothly until I got to a large circular parking area. There was a road going steeply left (West) and a trail that went right. I started off to the right and it went up a pretty steep hill.
    6275F2E4-B142-4FF0-8DA3-13D345B34345.jpeg
    That’s where I decided to turn around before I got in over my head. I ended up going back to Divide, over to Woodland Park and up Rampart Range Rd.

I’m wondering if I turned onto trail 364 and maybe I should have taken the left at Rd 33?
    Either way, Rd 3 seems to have dead ended there. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    759EAC6E-B76E-4394-9A0F-A805442A3FD2.jpeg
    I really do appreciate all the insight you guys share on this board.
  14. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you somehow got off of 3 because it’s one of my favorite dual sport roads with lots of fun creek crossings, but not difficult at all in fact easy even on an Aventurebikasaurus.

That burned up intersection sounds like where 367 goes left and 364 goes right. I think you got on 364, it’s confusing right there but if you generally continue to follow the creek you are on trail creek rd.
    Tanger likes this.
  15. no2tracks

no2tracks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pic is the bottom of 64 near 3. If you continued downstream you would have been on 3, Trail Creek Rd out to 73 in WestCreek. You were almost there.