Another dead Battery

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Gros Buck, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    ... Another view of the cable cluster that gets pinched between the Odysey PC535 battery and the frame ...

Updated 2008-01-25: You do not need to lower the cable cluster if you remove two batterry ribs on each side.

Attached Files:

2. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    This time, a view of the cable cluster lowered approximately 1.5 inches ... Note the battery plastic fins that could have cut the cable protection in a long term.

Attached Files:

3. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    The final result. The left copper pole extender have been removeD and re-installed on the left side of the battery. Same thing on the other side. I did not installed a metal strapping yet cause the original does not fit any longer. I will make one tomorrow.

You will no longer be able to put the standard seat at the "lower" position !!!!

Attached Files:

4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job! :thumb

Thanks for showing us how it is done.

I don't need the battery yet, but it is nice to know that when I do a trip to Batteries Plus, and a few minutes work will fix me right up.

Jim :brow

PS I have a batteries Plus half a mile from my house!:evil
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Good job! I'm gonna get one when the stocker craps out:thumb
  6. bmwhubb

bmwhubb Work to Ride

Oddometer:
    The odyssey cranks well in the cold. I've been out of commission for the last few weeks and took the bike out today for the first time. This morning it was 20 F outside and I don't leave a charger on it. It cranked over without any issues. (I've still got the 20w50 oil in the bike).
  7. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    See how I modified the seat plastic support, and how I installed a heat shrink tubing on the stainless steel tubing to prevent any contact with both battery poles on the next post ...

Attached Files:

8. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Note how I modified the seat plastic support, and how I installed a heat shrink tubing on the stainless steel tubing to prevent any contact with both battery poles.

Attached Files:

9. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Here we see why I had to remove the plastic support ... Note how I rerouted the negative pole cable ...

Attached Files:

10. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention since I installed the Odyssey PC535 batterry, I did not encounter any issue starting in cold wheathers, including this week-end at -20 Celsius (-4 Farhenheit).

To let you know, my Honda Rincon 650 cc uses the same size of battery as my BMW 1200 cc GS !!! GS OEM batterries may be good enough most of the time, but I am now totally convinced that 1200GS batteries are too small when times gets rough.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That works, but why not just modify the SS tube to eliminate the center section?

There is a thread here somewhere about how to do that. It gives a lot of room on top, and you could route your wires that way.

12. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you qualify as the official cold weather testing division for BMW. Too bad there is no salary going along with that! Please keep us posted over the next while.
    BTW: I would not be surprised to see BMW change their battery suppliers in the next while:evil
  13. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the info Jim is referring to:
    http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/seat-trick.html
  14. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,

The center tube does not cause the main problem. Only the plastic brackets that holds this center tube. This plastic brackets push against the main main electrical wire commin from the battery. Look carefully at the first picture (unmodified bracket, you will understand) Removing the stainless steel tubing will only prevent both batterry pole to touch it simultaneously.
  15. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Hi Addict,

The OEM battery that came with my bike, are pretty good actualy. Exide does not make :topes. I installed that OEM battery on my Rincon 650 cc ATV and the results are very impressive !!! Much better than the OEM Honda battery. So I actualy solved TWO problems.

The problem, I'm convinced, is the size. 14TBS is too small for a 1200GS. That's it ...
  16. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know what the current drain on your battery is when the bike is off? I have measured both my 1200GS and my HP2, and both are the same at about 5ma. Just wondering what the drain is with the software fix you are talking about. Anyone else???
  17. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer:
  18. Gros Buck

Oddometer:
    Your talking about the "how to" section on the www.R1200GS.info web site. I think it is much easier to install a heat shrink, or electrical "rubber (not PVC)" tape around the tube. Besides, cutting the tube makes it much weaker.
  19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I agree it would be easier to install heat shrink, but am concerned that it wouldn't hold up over the long run. Movement of the parts will eventually wear through the heat shrink, and the constant pressure could cause failure by breaking it off.

As for the seat mod, it shouldn't be any weaker as there is support on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is no reason that should weaken the seat at all.

20. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree, after all the 1150 is a smaller displacement and has a larger battery. BTW they are also marginal starting at sub 0 temps even with the bigger battery.