another f800 stalling thread (solved)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Daryloftexas, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well guys. no dice. new pump and filter did nothing. it was only about $85 for both the pump and filter and since the bike has almost 35,000 miles on it im not bothered. still very frustrated at this problem. suggestions? please look at first post to rule out anything ive already done.
  2. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next 2 most likely things in my mind are fuel pump controller, but I feel that is less likely. The other is the coils or maybe one coil? Just starting to breakdown and getting worse over time. I had a similar thing on a 1200 where a primary coil died but that felt a bit different to your issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    so i actually took the controller out today and found some corrosion. cleaned it all up and plugged it all back in with no change. 20180819_140501.jpg 20180819_140506.jpg
  4. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    also this problem only has to do with the idle circuit so i think im going to look at all my hoses again, ill probly check the valves and spark plugs tomorrow just to rule that out.
  5. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    ok i got a little ancy, the first day of my weekend over here. checked the valves, even with the motor sitting in an ambient temp of 112 degrees they were all perfectly where i set them about 14,000 miles ago. this is pretty cool to know since i ring the shit out of this motor on a daily basis. plugs look pretty bad so im going to change them tomorrow just for the hell of it. theyre about the same age as the last valve adjustment. im going to disconnect my power commander until this problem is solved, i dont really want to while running the yoshi and aftermarket filter but ive never had so much trouble diagnosing a problem with a bike. this is getting ridiculous.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plug pics? Is it possible the idle seems just a little tiny bit low? Even 50 rpm low can cause the stalling
  7. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    20180819_175528.jpg 20180819_175747.jpg
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was your fpc silver or black ?
  9. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    silver
  10. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    idle seems normal, bmw says 1,200-1,300 rpm
  11. dpike

Oddometer:
    From what I read here the silver ones were known to go bad and were updated with the black version. I replaced my silver one when I did my pump and filter.
    Daryloftexas likes this.
  12. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plugs look good to me

13. transcend_traveller

transcend_traveller GSpusi

Oddometer:
    Could you please let me know if there a spec for this spark plug?

Thanks
    Sree
  14. dpike

Oddometer:
    quoted the wrong post ?

[​IMG]
  15. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    i wiped them off a bit. i think youre right though, they dont look too bad.
  16. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    yes, the gap is supposed to be .8-.9 mm
  17. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you had the exact same behaviour as before?? You definitely put the new fuel pump in? It just sounds perfectly the same as the issue I had which the pump cured!

I would now start to look at all electrical connectors fuel injector idle hoses etc. With a fine tooth comb approach. It’s soo odd to not be the fuel pump but only be an issue in hot weather!!

18. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    strange thing happened last night. after the new fuel pump install, i ran the bike til it got hot. i then bliped the throttle a very small amount. like 1-5% throttle which is usually what will kill it, the bike died same as before, but then it would just crank and crank and wouldnt start. i left the battery disconnected all night, went back out there this morning, put the plugs back in, installed the airbox and battery, and pushed the start button. it started right up and ran for a min, then i did the same 1-5% blip a couple times it died. now back to not starting, only cranking. im going to check that my fuel line didnt pop off in the tank. otherwise, this is very weird. maybe it was the controller the whole time? does anyone know how to test the controller, is there a spec for resistance? also if anyone would like to buy a mint f800gs with high fender and all the farkles, let me know, must bring trailer.:photog
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You can by-pass the controller with no Ill effects. The controller just varies the voltage applied to the pump depending on fuel requirements, if you by-pass it it just applies maximum voltage. If you Google it by-pass cables are available on the net.
    Daryloftexas, Arbolmano and BygDaddee like this.
  20. Daryloftexas

Oddometer:
    well, strange turn of events. i gave the bike a little time to figure out what i had done to it and it is now running fine, its actually a lot smoother now on the highway and the exhaust note is a bit deeper, the idle problem is fully gone. i guess the power commander was never really doing much because the pump wasnt putting out the volume it was supposed to. for anyone in the future, what i would do is get it real hot and then quickly shut it off and hook up a fuel pressure tester to see what the pump is actually putting out at idle.
    transcend_traveller likes this.