another f800 stalling thread (solved)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Daryloftexas, Aug 12, 2018.

1. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boom! I think we now have a very definitive set of fuel pump failure symptoms so the next time round we can fix it quicker!

Glad you got it sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Daryloftexas likes this.
  2. transcend_traveller

transcend_traveller GSpusi

Oddometer:
    What exactly was the issue with the pump? i understood form the previous posts that you changed the filter and bypassed the controller. Is that all?

Thanks
    Sree
  3. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to do what AntReed did and test the pump at speed for extended period until it gets hot and see if it gets fuel starvation issues again. Perhaps ride in circles not too far from home just in case your need recovery assistance , just to be sure.
    Daryloftexas likes this.
  4. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i changed both the pump and filter. what actually ended up happening is; i changed the pump and filter, cleaned the controller and nothing had changed. i ended up taking the pump out again to check my work, re-installed it and all of a sudden it was working properly. i usually wouldnt stop there but as it is my only form of transportation and i do enough wrenching at work, i have decided to call it a bad pump and move on for the time being.
    shuswap1 and transcend_traveller like this.
  5. sunquest2

sunquest2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been riding my 2009 F650GS for about 5 years, first problem accrued after riding 3000 miles with the occasional use of fuel additive on the way to Hermosillo Mx. It died at a toll booth and at least 3 more times during the next 5 miles. I contacted the previous owner with my problem for help; His reply was did you add injector cleaner when you filled the tank? I replied 'some times' he replied NO, you must always add it -OK- one bottle later all is better. For the next 40,000 miles I have done so except when I forget and am reminded with a stalling motor. BMW is unaware of any problems with the F650/800 stalling.
    I am getting a little tired of passing cars and trucks not knowing if I let off the throttle if it will die again and the added expense and the messy bottle in my rear bag stinking up my road food. Tried the "it must be your fuel pump" and installed a new one, NOPE not a bit of help so I went back to adding fuel cleaner, maybe it is the injectors? Called an injector repair shop and we both agreed the injectors are probably not the cause. Is it the 02 sensor-- could be?
    New fuel filter has arrived but I hold out hope it will solve the problem.
    With injector cleaner it runs fine, without it dies. It now has 96,000 miles living on injector cleaner THAT IS NOT RIGHT! ARE THERE ANY ANSWERS specific to the 800 motor
    LOVE THE BIKE thinking of a newer F700GS or F750GS. Being vertically challenged it fits me but don't want the same problems. Any thoughts about a cure
  6. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Didn't you change the filter when you changed the pump ? The filter clogs up which overworked the pump, which destroys the pump. The pump is the symptom, the filter is the cause. Thanks for reminding me, time to replace my filter
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  7. sunquest2

Oddometer:
    I was in Mexico and no BMW shop only an auto zone, but how would injector cleaner help a clogged filter was my thought? other than serve as a lubricant for the pump it could be possible I hope.
    I have the bike on the lift and will be installing the new filter however the fuel flows fine with the cleaner on the Autopista /Freeway at high demand only when I let off the throttle does it die. ODD you would think it would have a power problem :D but if it works :-) other wise back to the drawing board.
    TKS
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    have you bypassed the pump controller to see if it makes a difference ?
  9. transcend_traveller

Oddometer:
    what is the injector cleaner you are using @sunquest2
  10. sunquest2

Oddometer:
    As for " bypassed the pump controller " that I have not done yet.
    The fuel additive I have been using is Techron.
    I have also used Lucas fuel additive, and it did not help with the stalling issue.
    Could the Techron additive be helping by lubricating the pump, injectors or by cleaning the O2 sensor? maybe
    In Mexico they sell a green additive but have used others in Guat. and El Salvador and had good luck
    If I don't add an additive for one tank, the issue returns.
    I am using a Camel tank but had the same issue previously for the stalling issue
    As mentioned before I did change the fuel pump 'aftermarket' but did not help
    In a nut shell I think I am looking for a problem that a fuel additive can cure or influence
    BMW has been no help!

I will be changeing the fuel filter soon as Woody suggests it sure can't hurt! but I am doubt full of the results not knowing how an injector cleaner can make a filter flow better however it could lubricate a hard working pump.

LOVE the bike with almost 97,000 miles uses no oil, good compromise for power and weight, went through 3 voltage regulators 'dont buy cheep regulators' $200. for my last one " maybe my fault I added LED headlight bulbs " and 3 staters but not at the same time

I would like to find the solution as I'm sure its out there
    Good luck to us
    Don
  11. dpike

Oddometer:
    Your pump controller is black or silver ?

Interesting about the techron. Me and my wife just took a trip with her car from the the US east coast, into New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado once we hit the higher elevations the car would almost always throw a reduced power code regardless of the fuel that was in it (except for cheveron) unless I put techron into it, not octane booster or seafoam, only techron. Stopped throwing codes on the way back around the middle of Kansas and would use lesser quality fuel without an issue.
  12. transcend_traveller

Oddometer:
    97000 miles, wow! that's amazing.

I changed the fuel filter and spark plug last April has not solved the bogging issue. i just adjust my throttle smoothly when i accelerate out of a stop sign.
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you're looking down the right track, perhaps the Techron is 'wetting' the filter better or lubing the pump a little. But, if you are on the original filter and have 97k miles on it, given the credible reports of filter issues, that should be the first item on your change list.
    Please report your findings, help us all learn?
  14. random1781

random1781 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We spent about 10k miles trying to solve this problem and I've spent days of my life reading and working on it. There are many posts about these symptoms, but the cause is not consistent. It's a problem with either the fuel delivery system or the idle air circuit, which I think is very finely balanced, so doing something like adding injector cleaner can alleviate the symptoms without fixing the problem. For us, replacing the Throttle Valve Switch/Throttle Position Sensor (13 54 7 696 412) completely solved the problem. Unfortunately, before replacing that we replaced:

-Fuel pump, strainer, and filter
    -Cleaning the airbox and idle air lines
    -Fuel pressure sensor (13 53 7 694 579)
    -Idle air actuator (13 71 7 702 755)
    -Camshaft position sensor (12 72 8 555 265)
    -Crankshaft sensor (12 72 7 674 201)

I had a GS911 and the throttle position sensor values appeared fine, which is why it was the last thing we tried to replace.

It seems that the top fixes are replacing the pump, throttle valve switch, or idle air actuator. These parts are expensive if you can't find them used. Here are a few similar posts that might help:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/f700gs-idle-fluctuates-and-dies-mid-drive-urgent-kinda.1290675/
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showth...dle-Stalling-issues-quot-Must-Read-quot/page6
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/f800gs-random-cut-out-when-pulling-clutch-in.1041303/
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/50935-Idle-Control-Idle-Actuator-Air-Bleed-Circuit
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/solved-idle-issues-iac-to-throttle-body-hose-sensitivity.1361529/
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/32732-Stalling-Stalling-and-More
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/65243-Need-Help-Fixing-F800ST-Idle-Problem/page3

One thing to keep in mind is that some earlier years had idle air hoses that were not molded. This caused them to kink and in turn caused cutoffs and surging at idle. I'm pretty sure this was a recall, but it was prior to my model year so I'm not sure.

This problem sucks and is really frustrating. Good luck!
    shuswap1 and sunquest2 like this.
  15. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    The problem is that BMW won't recognise the common problems such as this and the shock mount bolt. At this stage in the models run, there is no chance of a warranty claim, but it would be good to be able to go to the dealer with a problem and be told how to fix it instead of the corporate line of "never of that happening before mate, you must be thrashing it". Back in my Ducati bevel days you would go back to the dealer and he'd say "yeah, they all do that" and then sell you the bit to fix it. At least they were honest.
    sunquest2 and cgguy09 like this.
  16. sunquest2

Oddometer:
    WOW!
    random you the MAN
    The best research I have seen on the subject, I have researched but not like you have "good job" I will be reading and getting the parts ( Throttle Valve Switch/Throttle Position Sensor (13 54 7 696 412) ) I assume you did both at the same time. This is going to take a little time, but I will reply on my results, my son is thinking of inspecting making sure nothing is gummed up first.
    Woody _ I agree with you completely I am sure they know the solution to our problems and yes I had to replace my shock mount bolt last year in El Salvador "the bottom one"
    dpike _ It is silver
    transend -Isn't it a real Beooch when a company wont tell you what is really wrong I believe 90% of all these problems are related . but I can not come up with a bike that has dealer world wide coverage / weight and height for those of us vertically challenged 29" inseam looking at the Tenere 700 but to tall
    I had the Tenere 1200 what a pig
  17. dpike

Oddometer:
    The silver fpcs have been know to go bad, they've been replaced with the black model.
  18. sunquest2

Oddometer:
    I hope I have found the parts I need and that they function
    upload_2019-9-14_12-11-56.png