Another F800GS with Ammo Can luggage - $50+$115 = cheap/functional/waterproof

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by señormoto, Sep 24, 2011.

1. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    So I just got this F8 a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking at the various options for luggage and noticed that the usual suspects charge SO MUCH money for simple cases. I'm not new to adv riding or bike luggage, but I've never dropped >$1K on bags. I'm not a cheap guy and I don't have an issue with paying for quality when necessary, in fact I paid cash for my F8 and then put in several thousand in parts (most parts are still in shipment). However, luggage is one item that I think gets solved very well by ammo cans. You may not feel the same but that's ok - I'm sure the expensive luggage is lighter weight and has a warranty.

Anyway, here are some pics of the finished process. I have Wolfman racks and used their 'hard bag mounting kit' to mount the ammo cans I had sitting in my garage [ had to empty the ammo out first and move it to the safe ]. I'll be getting them either powdercoated or depending on time I might just rattlecan them.

I think it turned out rather well. Cutting/drilling/measuring took around an hour. You might be able to see the orange price tag on the right hand case that says $22, so I didn't even have to spend $50 for both cases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for fun, here's a pic of the Scott's damper I mounted yesterday.
    [​IMG]

CHEAP WINS! :deal
  2. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    I really like that look and you can't beat the price, paint 'em black and they 're perfect. :D

Where does one find these ammo cans? I think I need me some.:wink:
  3. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks great!
  4. trizzo

trizzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks great!

can you post a pic of what the inside looks with the drilling/mounts?
  5. señormoto

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, I'll take one tomorrow after my ride.
  6. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job! Yea!
  7. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be the voice of dissent: I think it looks fugly as hell. The cans just dont accentuate the lines of the bike in my opinion.

That being said, I admire your ingenuity and thriftiness.

Does the rattling of the handles drive you nuts?

Nice work though!
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the dimensions of those cans, they look bigger than any I have seen previously...?
  9. señormoto

Oddometer:
    Well, I can see your point and I prefer the bike without any bags, but personally I think all large luggage makes the lines of the bike go to hell. Even for cans that are visually nicer I don't think they're worth the added cost. That's like a 10x cost increase and all you get is some rounded corners. Even the $1200 Jesse boxes have leaking issues - which I can definitely say you will not get with military ammo cans.

The rattling will be solved shortly via some velcro straps. Simple. I'll post pics when I have that rigged up along with a locking lid solution.

Height: 14.5 " Width: 8 " Length: 17.5 "
    http://www.amazon.com/Large-Militar...sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1316923340&sr=1-17

Or you can generally find them at surplus stores locally.
  10. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    They look nice and clean. Paint them black and they'll look perfect. One question, did you make the mounting hardware that attaches to the Wolfman rack or did you buy it?
  11. señormoto

Oddometer:
    I bought the Hardbag Mounting Kit from Wolfman, which was $115. I'm sure you could rig up something rather easily via parts from the hardware store, especially given that the wolfman racks have 4 bolt holes on the outside of the rack that you could bolt the ammo cans onto and then use some QR hardware. But, the kit is super easy to setup so I figured $115 wasn't a bit deal.
  12. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Thanks themattreid. I didn;t realize that was in addition to the actual racks. That's a great deal for those that already have the Wolfman rack and want to switch from soft bags to hard.
  13. señormoto

Oddometer:
    Here you go, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. The mounts are lightweight but very strong. Rather easy to get the bags on/off the racks too - takes all of 5-10 seconds per side.

[​IMG]
  14. Beemster

Beemster n00b

Oddometer:
    The main issue I see is that the website claims each box weighs about 22 lbs. So when you add both boxes plus mounting hardware, you are probably adding about 55-60 lbs empty weight. This seems like a lot just for the boxes, not to mention the weight of filling them up.
  15. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing I noticed is that in this pic....

[​IMG]

.....the pannier rack tubing goes right across in front of the exhaust outlet hole. Just an FYI, with it setup like that you're going to burn off the paint on the pannier rack tubing pretty quick. Also, if the pannier rack tubing is really close to the exhaust outlet hole, as in a 1/2" of clearance or less (and it looks like it is, at least from the angle in your pic), it will actually alter or restrict exhaust flow.
  16. Micke

Micke Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Micke

Micke Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Surplus store. There's a number online.

As noted, they're friggin heavy. An alternative is "aviator's cases" (for night vision goggles), if you can find them. I found a pair on the coleman's surplus site a few years ago. They were $20 each, water tight, generous size, and less than 5# each since they were mostly plastic. Plus, they still had the foam in them with the cutouts for the goggles. Looked spot on mounted to a homemade rack on my KLR.

There could be other types of surplus cases as well...not sure.

IMHO though, if you're thinking of going the ammo can/aviator case route, just fleabay some pelican cases instead. You won't be out much more money in the grand scheme of things, and they're damn near indestructible without the boat anchor factor. Plus--and I know I'm vain, but I can legitimately play the BTDT card here--if you want to make your BMW look like a clapped out KLR, its much cheaper to start with a clapped out KLR. :lol3
  19. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
  20. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer: