Another fatal car vs. bike crash.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Strong Bad, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    On Sunday a group of friends did a quick side trip into town for fuel and while stopped at a light get rear ended by a speeding car. This section of road is posted at 60 mph but after coming off of the 14 Fwy, a lot of people are still doing 75-80 mph. Horrific.

From the local paper:

67266918_354043978599961_6611483402023469056_n.jpg

UPDATE: July 22, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.

The deceased has been identified as Vasken Laurancian, 57, of Canoga Park, according to the coroner’s office.

VEHICLE vs MOTORCYCLE-GROUP LEAVES ONE DEAD TWO OTHERS IN CRITICAL CONDITION SUNDAY MORNING IN PALMDALE

Sunday morning at about 10:30 a.m. a group of motorcyclists stopped at a red light going E/B on Pearblossom Highway, at the intersection of 40th Street East, was rear ended by a black Chevy Cobalt.

One motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene, another two were transported via ambulance to a local hospital in critical condition and two others were treated and released at the scene by paramedics.

As one of the motorcyclists was falling, he was side swiped by a light blue Honda Fit, also traveling E/B on Pearblossom Highway.

The driver of the black Chevy Cobalt was treated and released by paramedics, after giving his statement to Palmdale Sheriff traffic investigators, he was released from the scene pending a more thorough investigation by Palmdale Sheriff Traffic Investigators.
  2. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    RIP rider, and I hope the others recover well.
    el Pete and greenohawk69 like this.
  3. Fat Nelly

Fat Nelly Cut from a stinky cloth

Oddometer:
    So you kill someone and get released? How convenient for them and tragic for the riders who were not at fault. You get in more trouble nowadays for making political statements or something in regards to race. What a country we have become...
  4. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Drug and Alcohol tests given to the driver and he passed, if he was impaired he would have gone straight to jail. No one is more frustrated than Vasken's friends and family. One of the guys taken to the hospital had internal bleeding and injuries including all of his ribs on his left side. The other has a broken leg. Two others walked away unhurt except for the horrific memories of their friend laying dead on the ground while waiting for the Coroner who showed up almost 5 hours later! A lot of us are really angry right now but I won't digress into politics.
  5. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    My condolences to Vasken's family and friends,
  6. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we want to continue the demise of the US motorcycle scene, let's keep up the attitude of "It's not my fault" for whomever gets to kill or damage somebody's person or property.

I don't know what the answer is to making this country less about 'me' and more about 'us'.

Otherwise we continue into this toilet bowl downward spiral.

I can't even ride in my own city because of how many people get hit/killed, my bike(s) having attempted theft.

Getting fed up with the ever poorer quality of people.

Hope the folks still living can attain some peace sooner than later.
  7. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you are stopped at a light you have to watch your mirrors and be ready to move
  8. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to this article the POS in the Cobalt has been cited and will be held liable.
    https://www.thelegaladvocate.com/ne...ancian-killed-in-palmdale-motorcycle-accident

Which I assume will be a slap on the wrist, suspended license for year or some other bullshit.
    The victims can take him to civil court, but considering he was driving a 2010 Chevy Cobalt, I can't assume they'll get much.

Another thing that pisses me off is that they don't publish the name of the driver. Why protect the identity of the perp, but not the victim?
    greenohawk69 likes this.
  9. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Distracted driving... driving has become a task that people figure they can multitask
    Cell phone records would be the first place I'd look.
  10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Apparently the driver of the car was not distracted. He had finished a double shift at work and was headed home when he fell asleep at the wheel!
  11. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    NOT distracted... sleeping while driving is near the ultimate distraction in my book.

My condolences to all in volved in this horiffic event.
  12. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Well let me digress for you StrongBad.
    Fuckers. Fuckin' Palmdaleians.
    That's right down the street from my old house.
    There is NO REASON that should happen at that intersection.
    The cause is angry and/or aggressive assholes barreling down Pearblossum AND/OR paying attention to the fucking phone.
    If I die by the hands of one of these motherfuckers before I get the hell out of Dodge, I will come back to haunt their lowlife asses...I guarantee.
  13. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    People drive like lunatics on 14, unfortunately this isn't shocking to read. Hopefully things work out for the riders that the jackass in the cobalt didn't manage to kill.

On another note, isn't driving of driving at the point of exhaustion where you are falling asleep considered driving while impaired? I believe I read that somewhere, not that it means much.
  14. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 14 N & S from the santa clarita area to the AV area is better know as the palmdale 500, got that nickname long ago...
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    80 to 85 mph is pretty common on the 14 for those from "Palmcaster", and few of those getting off the 14 onto Pearblossom Hwy (122) slow to the posted speed limit of 60 mph, which is ridiculous.

We buried Vasken last weekend, and two are still in the hospital.
  16. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Strong Bad, sorry for your loss.
    RIP fellow rider.

Weirdly, I always think that the section of the 14 between Santa Clarita and Mojave is heavily patrolled, and never speed through there, as tempting as it may be.
  17. Bigsmokindaddy

Bigsmokindaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The driver was most certainly on their cell phone.
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Would love it if you could bring that evidence to court with you as this progresses.