(Another) "Fault in Engine Control" - Limp mode fun.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nobody0101, Jun 16, 2019.

1. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 GS Rallye with a mere 3500 miles on the odometer, left me stranded while at the MOA national rally this weekend in TN. Managed to get it to nearby dealer who did some diagnosis (appeared to have something to do with the throttle body/sensor), checked the connections, scanned and cleared codes but could not provide a fix, so had to rent a truck to get the bike back home where I could have my local dealer have a go at proper diagnosis and fix.

Bike was not at all rideable and was downright dangerous when it would decide to go into this "limp mode", having absolutely no power and barely able to get it off the highway exit where it first happened. Afterwards was a crap shoot as to whether turning the bike on and off again as to whether it would run fine or fall back into this error state.

Had 30k miles on my previous 2015 GSA with no real issues, and never once made me nervous as to whether I'd end up stranded on the side of the road. Suppose its just a roll of the dice... sigh.
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this.

Good luck sorting it out.
  3. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Sorry that these problems are occurring to BMW’s beta testers. Hopefully your dealer and BMW can get things sorted out.
  4. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    I'd have hoped the beta testing would have occurred in the earlier model year water-cooled bikes. Other than the issue with the fork stanchions, mine was problem free.
    LAFS likes this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Shouldn’t be ‘rolling the dice’ on a single $25,000 bet. I’d expect a better return on investment. You can buy a used $5000 machine that will not be a gamble, or at least one fifth of a gamble.
    ultane likes this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    This is a really interesting issue that i'm starting to see on a few 1250s w/cam shifting and figured just kinks needing ironing out with the new engine. Surprised to hear you are having it on an established 2018 rallaye.

I've own pretty much every single year LC starting from 2013 up to 2017 Rallye, putting some serious miles / punishment on them.. many of them off-road, not once seen that engine error or it being in limp mode.. knock on wood.

Do let us know what u find out..
    nobody0101 likes this.
  7. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    Good luck! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Following as I’m experiencing same error.
  8. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    It’s frustrating, and can be dangerous when it happens in traffic or technical situations (my experience). Certainly not confidence inspiring. Good luck, really sucks you had to carry the bike home on a U-haul.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  9. Dustred

Dustred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine did similar, my understanding in the ride by wire setup as a fail safe the bike measures 2 circuits on the throttle, when a miniscule difference is measure between these 2 circuits it goes into limp mode as a fail safe. My throttle assembly was replaced under warranty and haven’t had a problem since. I first noticed when the cruise control wouldn’t cancel when push the throttle back to the stops. Could be many things but this is one possibility.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Doesn't a bike that new come with roadside assistance? You had to rent a truck and take it home? Was that just your choice as you wanted/needed to be home anyway?
    side-burn and Motorius like this.
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    What was the spec on yours? Year? Model?
  12. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You keep using this unhelpful comment in several threads. Could you be specific what exactly you mean? Hasn’t BMW been in the motorcycle business for a VERY long time? Why would they need us as “beta testers”?

If BMW don’t innovate and provide new reasons for us to buy motorcycles, then they run out of money or run over by the competition. There is always a risk of buying something newly innovated, but this is BMW, not some damn startup. Making others and the OP fee like chumps for footing the bill on the latest innovation isn’t helpful.
    akupnt and maxattack like this.
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I don't think he meant any harm, just pointing out the age old beta testing / early adopters grief dealing with issues arising from a brand new model / new engine

Heck, even long established models have their own lingering issues.

Everybody releases non-perfect products.. and refine them as needed, if they didnt.. we wouldnt see new models or software releases until every decade.

Just a balance of of risk and profit..

Obviously not necessarily pointing specifically to BMWs but new models in general.. at least that's how I read it, lol
    ultane likes this.
  14. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would hardly consider BMW's BOXER motor a new engine, let alone a 2018 Rallye a new model; It's been around for a significant amount of time... there's nothing new about it.

That said, it get's pretty old on this forum when people just like to bash a badge and offer no helpful advise or input at all.

All this is said from a guy that purchased a new DOHC GSA in 2010...replaced two (2) entire final drives and the rear main seal, went to KTM for several years... only to purchase a new 1250 GSA 8 weeks ago to head out on a 5 week, 12,200 trip back to AK... leaving July 1st. You wanna talk about rolling the dice or being a beta tester....
  15. nobody0101

Oddometer:

Yes it does come with Roadside assistance (as well as travel interruption). I was able to get the bike to a nearby dealer, but they were unable to get the bike going, and were also understaffed/under-willing and made it fairly clear that I should get the bike to my home dealer. Also I had no real urge to take another 10 hour drive, or pay for a flight down at a later date just to pick up my bike whenever it would be ready (and hope that it would *actually* be ready when I did arrive). Made sense to me to get home, and get the bike to a local dealer that I trust.

I have already been in discussion with BMW Roadside assistance this afternoon and will be sending in my receipts/documentation for reimbursement on the truck rental.
    deadflagblues and side-burn like this.
  16. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Let us know how it goes. I didn't want to ask the question as to how the roadside assistance works under this circumstance, because you're busy with other stuff, obviously, but thanks for replying about it.
  17. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my exact experience when my bike shit the bed in 2010. BMW RSA told me they couldn't get to me for two days (I was in remote British Columbia) then they'd take the bike to the nearest deal which was BMW of Vancouver... who told me "we'll try to fit you in".

Good luck pal, It can be a pain... but BMW did reimburse me for every penny spent.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  18. side-burn

Oddometer:
    That's good news. When I got my last new bike, not BMW, it died 20 miles from the dealer and I had to rent a trailer to get it back...on my dime. I didn't make a stink about it and figured if they didn't offer conciliatory compensation, I wouldn't return as a customer next bike...and I didn't. But hey, they saved 40 bucks not paying for the trailer rental.
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I think someone got it crossed up during the thread..

I was referencing that I had seen a couple of 2019 1250s showing that issue, and was surprised to see it on a mature 2018 Rallye.
    ultane and Englishmatt like this.
  20. Dustred

Dustred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mines a 16 gsa, it does get dirty and pressure washed a lot so maybe that contributed? I limped mine about 20km to a dealer and they replaced my throttle assembly and had me back on the road in about 2 hrs under warranty.
    ultane likes this.