(Another) "Fault in Engine Control" - Limp mode fun.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nobody0101, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Meaning the Throttle Position Sensor ?
    Have a pic or part number ?
  2. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s in the twist grip(where the wiring terminates).

Warranty repair, no part number listed on the paperwork. I’d imagine one could find it on parts fiche.
  3. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Glad they got it fixed for you!
    nobody0101 likes this.
  4. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    Looks like my issue was with left throttle body. Not throwing a code now.
  5. Pabst

Pabst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My '18 just did it three times on the freeway, 2100 miles, just shut down when I was in the middle of 5 lanes, I was one of the slower ones doing 75 and almost got nailed trying to get over, second two times was in the slow lane. Rolled on the throttle to get over and the intake was very loud and no power right before it happened, this could be a problem.
    kangamatt likes this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Yikes!!
    nobody0101 likes this.
  7. kangamatt

kangamatt n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience a month ago with my 18 GSA! Engine died. “Fault in Engine Control”. Bike had 3,200 miles on it when the problem started. Happened four times in dicey situations on freeways until I finally had to tow it! Dealer replaced the fuel pump but I have very little confidence that it’ll be a long term fix. I only have 200 miles on it since the fix. I have to admit I’m totally paranoid about it happening again!
    Pabst and nobody0101 like this.
  8. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Well, the replacement twist throttle sensor didn’t fix the issue.

My bike has thrown the code and went in limp mode on ride home today. Was just about starting to forget about the issue and resume enjoying riding my bike when it happened.

Managed to turn off the bike and power it back up and get home (managing not to get run over at an intersection) and worrying every single moment that the bike would cut out leaving me in a sketchy situation.

So, the bike will be going back to the dealer. At this point I don’t even want it back until there is a real resolution (with a loaner bike of course). This bike isn’t safe to ride at this point.

All of this trouble cutting into my already short riding season here in MI. :(
    Pabst and kangamatt like this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Dam it!! Sorry to hear, really sucks for sure.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Anyone seeing this with a 2017 /2017.5 Rallye..?
  11. kangamatt

kangamatt n00b

Oddometer:
    It is so hard to understand how BMW wouldn’t know how to solve this. My belief is that this is probably a software if/then issue and that the ecu should NEVER cut the engine. Its ridiculously unsafe!
  12. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I don’t think the engine should shut down without some warning to the rider that it is going to happen. It’s not a friggin sewing machine or dish washer. Since it’s a motor vehicle and the operator isn’t protected by 5000# of steel I don’t think it should happen at all. I wrote a letter to BMW and spoke with a rep, but he didn’t think it was a dangerous situation like I did.

I don’t have a Rallye but my 17 GSA did this on a steep offroad uphill climb, on a moonless nite, didn’t drop it but really wrenched my back. It threw several throttle position fault codes, the local dealer realigned them, subsequently a different dealer updated the software. The update, as I understand it, changes the algorithm and widens the parameters for when limp mode will be defaulted to. About 9000 miles since that and no further problem, if it happens again for some lame reason I’ll be riding my Oilhead exclusively. Good luck to OP, hoping he gets satisfaction one way or another.
  13. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Being that the bike doesn’t seem to have any mechanical issues (runs/rides fine up to the time of the error code is thrown, no noises,etc) it sure seems like there would be a software fix for the issue.

I’d prefer not to just have parts thrown at the problem in hopes of catching the root cause. It rides fine both before and after throwing the error... so, focus should be as to what causes the error?

As a regular schmuck making monthly payments on this bike, it has me starting to wonder as to at what point does one start looking into lemon laws/ Magnusson-Moss act and ask/force BMW take this bike off my hands (and investigate as a test case to fix the damn bikes out there with this issue). Hoping it doesn’t get to this point, as my 15 GSA was the best bike I ever owned, but this one is not instilling any confidence in the least.
    Pabst and kangamatt like this.
  14. Pabst

Pabst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went on a ride again today, 50 trouble free miles then all of the sudden it went limp and on the way home I must have restarted it 40 times, I should have just ridden on the shoulder of the freeway because that's where I spent most of my time. The dealer is going to have to come pick it up, I'm not riding it until it's fixed. Mine has 2,200 miles total. What irks me is that it happened on a highway in the mountains where there is really no shoulder where it died, just pavement all the way up to the guard rail with a logging truck coming up behind me, I'm glad he understood hand signals.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  15. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    2018 ot 2017?
  16. nobody0101

Oddometer:

That sucks. Mine "only" faulted one time on my relatively short ride today (made shorter because of the issue). When I had to truck it home last weekend, it was going into limp mode immediately or after a few seconds and surely would not have made for a fun 600+ mile ride home.

At least there are several (many?) of us with the same or similar issue. Hopefully that helps get a resolution more quickly than one flakey bike would.
  17. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    My GS is going back on July 9. No idea why, but it takes significant cranking to start the engine when cold. Tech reckons throttle body.
    Pabst likes this.
  18. Pabst

Pabst Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thankfully, No. 2017.5 Rallye. I experienced that freaking limp mode a few times on my previous 2014 GSA - Pucker factor for sure. They, (BMW), never did sort out the cause of it. There were some software updates that were done and after that the limp mode never returned - Actual fix or just coincidence, I'll never know. The new owner, as far as I know, never had it happen, but I can vouch for the wtf? "I want a new bike" that the OP is experiencing - sucks. I hope they get it sorted for you. Knock on wood I've not had the problem with the Rallye - I have new problems - The bike seems to be a magnet for coyotes... Long story... Maybe I need a coyote radar detector...Hmmm...Shark tank, here I come.
  20. kangamatt

kangamatt n00b

Oddometer:
    nobody0101 likes this.