(Another) "Fault in Engine Control" - Limp mode fun.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nobody0101, Jun 16, 2019.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    I think limp mode is a dangerous govt. requirement to force vehicle owners to service emissions issues. I had it happen in my Mercedes diesel Sprinter in the desert between Pahrump and Las Vegas due to an EGR valve. I am aware of at least one incident where a Sprinter entered limp mode just after a pass on a two lane road. Imagine that happening during a pass on one of our motorcycles.
    kangamatt, Pabst and nobody0101 like this.
  2. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine threw a fault the other day, I had rinsed it off after a dusty ride and not started it till the next morning. Maybe the cause but it shouldn't be. Limp mode leaving for work. A quick key re-set and every thing was fine. Having a GS911 I quickly scanned it and pulled this code. Looking at the data that Hexcode provides doesn't really give one enough to determine if any thing is amiss. I hope the Beemer techs have more to work with when they hook up their scan tool. Anyways off for a longer ride so we'll see.
    IMG_3743.JPG IMG_3744.JPG IMG_3745.JPG
    The one in the instrument cluster is probably from when I stalled it on a muddy section of hill and it set an ABS warning. Off and on with the key re-set that one too. At last count in the automotive world we had about 66000 codes to deal with so I guess we just need to get use to this.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  3. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dangerous for sure. If there was a real mechanical problem, then it should persist after simply turning the bike off and on again. Sometimes it does throw the fault right away after restarting, but often not. Which will make diagnosing it that much more problematic and have dealers throw parts at it and hope the issue (and customer) goes away.
    toowoomba and kangamatt like this.
  4. kangamatt

kangamatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure to update us on the status of your bike! I'll do the same with my fuel pump replacement.
  5. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Bike is at my regular dealer this morning. He's aware of the issue and has seen it before on other bikes, and is strongly leaning that the issue is software related, last time he recalls there was a Nov 2018 update that was supposed to address the issue, guess we shall see if there is anything more recent.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed for ya!
    nobody0101 likes this.
  7. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    I will gladly de-farkle and release the bike back to the mothership for further study if this does not fix the issue.
  8. Mapachin

Mapachin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look. You need to request BMW North America to buy it back. It is very dangerous to ride that bike. They will send you back to the street with a bike you will never trust again and it might be unsafe to ride. It is your life man. Request BMW to buy it back for the same price exactly as you paid. Be firm !!
  9. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that by having some concrete documentation of actually trying to get the problem resolved (by at this time multiple licensed BMW dealers) is the most robust path to success, should I need to pursue those next steps.
    Massabusa and deadflagblues like this.
  10. Mapachin

Mapachin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. But when you decide to request a buy back you need to have the bike at the dealer (any dealer) and do not accept any "repair"or "solution". Do not start your claim having the bike at home. Trust me.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  11. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Will definitely take your advice if things end up going that way.
  12. Pabst

Pabst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm kinda in the same boat but this is the first time taking it in, do I test ride it after they say they fixed it but don't sign anything? I love my bike but as far as trusting it again gives me the willies and I'd hate to think about it happening every time I ride and I'd also hate having to always stay in the slow lane of the freeway in case it happens again, having it do it while passing a car would really be a bummer. It gave absolutely no warning.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Doesnt matter if you sign for it.. in fact, they wont release it to you if you dont sign for it
    Just pick it up and spend 30 minutes riding around close to delearship in case it happens.. then take it home and keep riding it. Its under warranty .. so long as they have a service ticket on it, then there is documentation...

Ride it as often as you can... better for the issue to show up under warranty period obviously.. but in most states; if you have brought back 3 times for same issue... good chance of applying the lemon law.. even if 4th time is out of warranty.. just need that paper trail..
    Pabst likes this.
  14. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True that, they make it as difficult as possible to buy back unless it's covered by lemon laws of state / country so multiple visits for same issues is your best ammo.

Keep at it mate... sure hope it geta resolve though..
  15. Mapachin

Mapachin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are totally correct in my view and experience. You need at least have it repaired 3 times for the same issue. The issue with the limp mode is that it happens randomly, it could be tomorrow or after 1,000 miles. Keep riding it, the dealer services sheets need to be kept as you will need to send them to BMW North America as proof. The main argument will be, apart from the lemon law, that they are sending you to the street on a bike that is not safe and you do not trust it. That is not what you bought, you bought a bike to go over the world, and now you don't trust it to go even around the corner. They don't want to see this discussion going on endlessly, as loyal customers will better get an African Twin.
    toowoomba likes this.
  16. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I absolutely hear ya and agree with the concerns.

Unfortunately, until some one crashes and gets really hurt, they wont move any quicker.. or unless there's a big social media movement to force them to address the issue like the front fork recalls..

Its just the natural flow of things, so not unique to BMW.. all motorcycle companies.. all auto are the same... Hell all companies. No one wants to readily say its their fault or its problematic enough for a recall until enough people get hurt or rise up..

I seriously doubt BMW is that worried about people switching over to an Africa Twin... just not a battle they are worried about fighting...

Lets just hope everyone who is seeing this.
    is able to get their bike fixed quickly, safely..
    Some Beach, nobody0101 and Pabst like this.
  17. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Picked up my bike today. Software has been updated, version on the TFT updated to 019_180. Made it home without issue, but that was true on the last return from dealer as well. Going to try to put some pointless miles on it in the next few days to try to either regain confidence in the bike or start looking at 1290's.
  18. Pabst

Pabst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, I hope it's fixed! I noticed I could usually get mine to do by cruising at a steady speed then rolling on the throttle on in sixth gear, first it would have a very small misfire then the dreaded exclamation mark and shut down but most of the time there was no warning. Good luck, mine is in the shop now.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  19. Mapachin

Mapachin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW is quietly buying back those failed bikes with limp mode issue from those owners that keep firm. There is no publicity nor data on how many because BMW made owners sign a non disclosure agreement that do not allow them to disclose the transaction. This move eliminates any social movement asking for a generalized recall.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great info.. thanks for the insight!
    Keep it up boys..looks like you're getting a new bike after all !! Yippie. ..