(Another) "Fault in Engine Control" - Limp mode fun.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nobody0101, Jun 16, 2019.

1. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    Cite your sources, please.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find this a bit of a stretch. You wouldn't happen to work for Bob's, would you?
  3. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I post a pic of my new bike in this thread, that will be my signal without breaking NDA.
    LowOnFuel, GrumpyOne and Pabst like this.
  4. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So if you don't post a picture we know you are dead from another failure?:rofl
  5. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Yep. :(
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Too confusing!
    Post pic of bike and you smiling means all is well..

pic of bike / u grumpy face.. then "shit's about to get real in heer"
  7. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went and picked up mine today, lasted a total of exactly thirty miles before taking a shit on me, I was all packed and ready to go on a ride after picking it up and got about twenty feet out of the driveway and it did it twice. The new throttle grip controller assy. is NOT the problem, so pissed!
  8. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Disappointing.

Went for a short ride after after bringing the bike home after the software update, issue hasn’t popped up yet. But need to put in some real miles before calling it good.
    Pabst likes this.
  9. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Apparently mine has the latest software and new throttle, did no good.
  10. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are these failures happening just with TFT bikes, or with the analog gauge bikes too?
  11. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dunno, heres an analog on YT.

12. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Ugh. That’s why I’m skeptical, going to try and give it a good run tomorrow to see if it shows up again.

Something weird with these bikes, reading about others having similar issues with ESA errors popping up for no apparent reason (I’d trade that for engine cutting out an my day).

I figured going from the 2015 to 2018 would have been a relatively safe bet. Not so much.
    Pabst likes this.
  13. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Im on a 2017.5 Rallye w/ 7k miles and havent seen it yet..

How long has others gone without seeing this.. would like to see how common and what year this are isolated to?
  14. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine did it at 2k miles, seems like its happening to low mileage bikes.
  15. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. No. It doesn't work that way.

BMW doesn't "buy back" bikes except as an absolute last resort... and generally only then when forced to by a state lemon law.

State lemon laws vary. Some states do not have lemon laws, and sometimes those laws do not apply to motorcycles. But for those states that do, a typical requirement is that a dealer must fail to repair the same significant defect three times; and/or the vehicle must have been in the shop, again, for the same defect, for thirty or more aggregate days.

If you're one of those rare unicorns who does have his bike bought back by BMW, there will not be an NDA. BMW will be doing that with great reluctance and will generally not do so until compelled by a knowledgable customer.

The first hurdle with a buy back related to limp mode is that many conditions can prompt it. Frankly, I'd be surprised if BMW has ever bought back a bike because of limp mode. First, because they can argue the condition isn't persistent or serious. Second because they can argue that there are multiple faults at play (which is another benefit of having a GS911 - being able to corroborate and document fault conditions independently from a dealer).

That said, having a friendly and supportive dealer can be very helpful if you get into lemon law territory. If your relationship is adversarial, it just makes everything harder.

Ultimately, though, getting a bike refunded or replaced comes down to what the law says. When my brand new 2005 R1200GS went wonky six weeks in, spinning me into a 45-day orbit of back-and-forths with the dealer, the letter to BMWNA I eventually wrote was simple and direct. I provided all the service documentation, referenced the particulars of my state's lemon law thresholds, and gave them the option of either refunding or replacing my bike. I was quiet and professional, but unequivocal. I gave them a deadline. And I told them we could do it amicably, or we could bring in the lawyers. Their choice.

BMWNA scrambled, and got me a new bike.
    nobody0101 and The_Eccentric like this.
  16. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    If it only happens when you pull into the Starbucks parking lot, or it just messes up your vacation, I could see them saying it’s not serious. But there are a lot of other scenarios where a rider could be injured, or worse, that would obviously make it very “serious.”
  17. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more.

Just to be clear, my suggesting how BMW might seek to defend themselves legally shouldn't be construed as in any way supporting that argument. My personal opinion is that BMW's implementation of limp mode is an abomination. Unfortunately, it looks like it will take a tragedy and a lawsuit to get their attention.
  18. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone plugged any new electronic accessories into their bike before this has happened? The reason I ask is because I had absolutely no trouble with mine until I plugged one of those accessory plug usb and voltage meter into my bike then 10 miles later that day it happened. All I could think of was that thing fried something. Maybe just coincidence? I immediately removed it and never put it back in but didn't help. Chinese conspiracy? Maybe a Starbucks signal jammer so it breaks down there?:D
    https://www.amazon.com/Meetou-Power...ocphy=9032531&hvtargid=pla-798549864952&psc=1
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Im sure just a coincidence.. guys around here have auxiliary lights and the full shabang on their GSes including charging bays..etc
    deadflagblues likes this.
  20. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    I have a EZCan to drive some aux lights and brake lights, and is the same one I used on my last bike. I also do regularly use a powerlet cable from the Dash to power a usb charger in my tankbag, which is another item I used on my last bike. The EzCan sits on Canbus and just listens for activity, so I'd have to see some real evidence in the form that everyone who has this issue also has an EzCan before I'd suspect that. @Pabst, do you run an EzCan?

That said, one of the errors that the dealers said he pulled off the bike besides the throttle sensor discrepancy(or whatever it was actually called), was something along the line of "short to ground" (I forget the exact wording, but certainly did sound interesting). He said that he checked out the wiring from the ECU and whatnot, and found nothing that appeared out of sorts.

Any/All of my "extra" wiring is limited to connecting the EzCan to battery posts for power and a couple of independent runs of wiring for the lights, and at no point come in contact/cut/splice/etc with the factory wiring.