(Another) "Fault in Engine Control" - Limp mode fun.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by nobody0101, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your problems. I hope this gets remedy! I asked in another post about how the wet heads compare to the hex/cam. A few idiots gave me a hard time. MY questions were fair and honest. As a BMW owner and former mechanic, I sure hope that BMW get their act together. Seems like after 1999 ~ 2001.... things went south, i could be wrong but I don't think so. Again may the winds be at your back and may the sun shine upon you, may your road be smooth and trouble free!
    kangamatt likes this.
  2. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My longest adventure was about 140 miles on mine, one adventure lasted less than a mile after they fixed it the 4th time. Kinda done with bmw. I got further on my Honda Ruckus.
    kangamatt likes this.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I've had LCs from 2013 all the way to 2017.5 Rallyes and fortunately have never seen this problem..

that's 5 LCs so far..putting about 20k-30ks before trading up.. its definitely an odd thing !
    scooby33sup likes this.
  4. kangamatt

kangamatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your thoughts. I’m getting in a bus to get back home soon! #bmwadventurebike
  5. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting it towed in with a permanent fault is sometimes a good thing, makes it easy to find but a major pain in the butt for you.
  6. MGV8

Oddometer:
    The dealer has my 2018 right now. Keeps throwing a left throttle correlation code, usually right after a start. Limp mode until a restart. It also surges at a constant throttle, worse than I think it should. They looked last week and found nothing, told me to run injector cleaner in it. WTF! Anyways threw the code as I went to leave. At least the tech got to see it in action and knows what's going on, or I hope so. Good guy. I am leaving it until fixed. If it's not I might dig into it my self. The connection idea is a good one, as the bike also wants to stall after I wash it real well. That one time anyways. :lol3 Any ways we have a product called Stabilant 22, works really well on connectors with the micro pins that you suspect are coroded with what the industry is calling fretting.
  7. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to the service writer today and he said an update is going to be available for the GS/GSA 1200 and it included the 1250 also in November.
  8. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Cool, I just hope they don't keep mine until then, I have some riding to do still.
    DIRTLER likes this.