Another Freaken Colorado Ride Report...The Sequel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 2whlrcr, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Day Four, Lake City to Redstone, 204 miles. Today was a day to cover some miles and head north. We had a large percentage of hardsurface, but also some nice remote dirt roads. This was going to be the longest and most diverse day we do.

The Jim's decide to play chicken with a Bull.

[​IMG]

Scenery along a dirt road outside of Lake City.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bhaaaaaaaaaa

[​IMG]

We hit a twisty bit of highway at Blue Mesa Res.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Group photo at Crawford Res.

[​IMG]

More bovine.

[​IMG]

Oops, I forgot a very important section of this day. We were headed for Crestte Butte via Kebler Pass. Most of the passes we had done, including Kebler were very easy. In some cases you could drive your mini van over them.

But I had kept reading about Schofield Pass and how many people had died in jeeps trying to make it. And that is was usually snowed in until mid August? Plus I read an article, where two guys on early 80's street bikes made it over, with great difficutly. So I figured we could do it on our modern dual sports, but we didn't know what to expect.

A quick gas stop in Crestte Butte and we ventured on. So far no big deal.

[​IMG]

We got to the top and couldn't believe we were riding the same pass? I could have drove a car up there. We started down and had some nice water crossings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's Scott and his bike drowned out. Hard to believe....:rofl This would just be the start of his problems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More water crossings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We rode on, thinking it was clear sailing, until we saw this.

[​IMG]

Maybe things were going to get tough afterall. Again the pictures don't due justice to the steepness and the rocks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually, it wasn't too bad coming down Schofield, but you had to be careful, because if you got bounced off the trail, it was a long way down, in some places. On the other hand, I'm glad we didn't ride up the Marble side, because it would have been a struggle on these bikes.

Down below the rocks and the trail turned fun, with rollers and lots of mud puddles. Unfortunately for J, he got splashed a little bit when I passed him.:evil We came across an old structure, which is supposed to be the second most photographed spot in Colorado. So we had to add to the count.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We rolled into the old town of Marble, where they still mine, you guessed it, marble.

[​IMG]

This particular piece of marble is destined for Washington, D.C. and is going to be a replacement for the currently cracked, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. But that guy is Bill, we all know him.:D

[​IMG]

We rolled into Redstone. A small artist community, very clean and biker friendly. Our abode...

[​IMG]

While here, I decided to do a little preventative maintenance. I brought an extra clean air filter and decided to install it.

[​IMG]

On a little more serious note, Jimmy's 520 EXC countershaft seal was acting like an automatic chain oiler. Worse the CS bolt was not holding and he had to keep retighting it. Ace mechanic Jim Z. surveys the situation.

[​IMG]

We had a nice meal at an outside cafe in town, with live music. Today was J's last day to ride with us and Andy came to take him home to Dillion and return the rented KLR.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since this was an artist's community, J decided to be artsy with my bike.

[​IMG]
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Day Five, Redstone to Nowhere, 110 miles. Today was the probably the most frustrating day for everyone. Mechanicals consumed most of our day. We headed out in the morning and Jimmy got about 100 yards before his CS was loose again.:huh

We decided we needed to find an automotive shop or machine shop and try and get a spacer to keep his CS tight. We headed for Carbondale, ten miles from Redstone. I got to the edge of town and found this place, it's no car shop, but I thought they might be able to help.

[​IMG]

We couldn't believe our luck, stumbling across Rocky Mountain Racing, a KTM dealer. They had the parts in stock. (Something my local KTM dealer would never have). Nice guys and Jimmy was fixed up in a hurry. Go there, if you're in the area.

So we headed out to explore the area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scott had been having issues with his KLR. He suspected the jetting, but this time it just died. Time to look a little deeper.

[​IMG]

Seems to be an elusive electrical problem. After an exhaustive bout push starting, it's decided we need to tow Scott out. Darn it, I can't find my picture of the tow, oh well...

Meanwhile Jimmy is practicing his extreme stunt riding tricks on the way back to Redstone.

[​IMG]

One the way back Scott tries bumping his bike, behind Richards tow and the KLR fires to life. Only 30 miles back to Redstone, but the KLR goes down again, 8 miles from town in a driving rainstorm. In town, Bill recruits a couple of locals with a pickup truck and we go fetch the KLR. Feverish work begins to try and diagnose the problem. We think it's fixed and it's getting late, so we go for dinner at the Inn.

[​IMG]
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Enough for tonight, Day Six tomorrow.
  4. GSdreamer

GSdreamer Mtn. Man

Oddometer:
    :lurk AWSOME REPORT :clap

WAITING FOR MORE
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Day Six, Redstone to Leadville, 134 miles.

The day started out by trying to get the KLR started. All of our previous efforts had drained the battery, so a push was in order. The bike fired right away and ran good.:clap We were on our way.

Ten miles to Carbondale and on the edge of town, Scott's KLR died again. This was it's swan song and the Carbondale fire department was courtious enough to let us abandon it, in their lot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now we needed a rescue plan for the KLR. It went this way. Bill volunteered to stay behind and two up Scott into Glenwood Springs to rent a car.(20 miles away). They then drove back to Carbondale and dropped off Bill's KLR and headed for Colorado Springs in the rental. At the Springs, the picked up Scott's FJ and trailer and drove both vehicles back to Glenwood Springs. From there, it's back to Carbondale with the truck and trailer and loaded up both KLR's. Then off to Leadville to meet us. We were fast asleep, because it was midnight, by the time they got to Leadville.:huh A long day on the road for them, while we had fun.

We headed for Leadville via dirt roads and highway. We found a nice stretch of road outside of Basalt on the way to Reudi Res.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the res.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From there, we take a side trip to find a mountain lake.

[​IMG]

Jim amongst the wildflowers (my favorite pic of the trip)

[​IMG]

We were unable to access the lake, because the property was purchased and closed off.:cry

So on the way to Leadville. It was raining on us again, as it had for everyday of the trip. We headed up over Haggerman Pass and down into town.

Our accomodations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim made a fine suggesion of trying to find a brewpub he had been too, once before.

Rosies.

[​IMG]

We had another excellent meal and Jim takes his turn on this mountain of dessert.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We took a little tour of town after dinner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course it was raining, but it provided this photo of the moon and a rainbow, over Leadville.

[​IMG]

There was coincedently another convention of adventure riders in town, some Horizon's group? They were doing seminars at a campsite. We saw a lot BMW GS's and KLR's running around town.

Scott ventured out to the airport the following morning and provided these photos. Leadville has the highest publicaly operated airport, at just under 10,000 feet.

The original snow machine.

[​IMG]

An abandoned T-6.

[​IMG]
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Day Seven, Leadville to Bailey, 130 miles.

This was going to be my last day. Since I trailered out with Scott, it made more sense for us to leave from Bailey to Iowa, instead of taking another half of a day, to continue on to Colorado Springs with the rest of the group. Plus I felt bad that he had spent the last two days driving instead of riding and figured we should just head home.

Anyway, while in Leadville, we had heard that the other adventure group was going to make an assault on Mosquito Pass at 9:00. Instead of getting caught in the middle GS's scattered all over the trail, we decided to leave early. We made the summit by 8:00AM.

On the way up.

[​IMG]

At the top, it was about 40F with a good 30MPH wind blowing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plaque about John Dyer, a monk who delivered the mail over the pass on snowshoes and skiis, in the late 1800's. He's buried up here. We have it easy, compared to the pioneers.

[​IMG]

Of course we saw the radio tower, even higher up and had to go check it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were at 13,600 feet which would be the highest point we would reach on this trip. Amazingly, even flowers grow up here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A survey marker at the pass and now it's time to head down.

[​IMG]

On the way down, we encounter the most signficant snow crossing of the trip. I remember reading Esteban's report from a few weeks ago, about this crossing and had hoped most of it was melted. No such luck. We all made it through with little difficulty, but had to get off our bikes and check it out first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A snow snake reached out and grabbed Richard's wheel and he fell. I'm pretty sure this is the first and only time in two trips to CO, that he actually fell over. He's a very good rider and sometimes, it's the easy spots that get you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jimmy had so much fun, he had to turn around and do it again.....and paid the price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the way down towards Fairplay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ride down to Breckenridge and we entered a traffic jam. Plus we had mini's hot on our trail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We headed over to Keystone, where our buddy J works and decided to check up on him.

[​IMG]

He had a new toy to play with and managed to get us a free ride up the chairlift.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lake Dillion

[​IMG]

Downhill mountain bikers who ride the chair up and gravity down. Lance would not be impressed.

[​IMG]

Time to say goodbye to J and head for Boreas Pass and on to Bailey.
    Heading up Boreas, another easy pass as evidenced by the mini van and BMW three series I saw driving up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the top is a museum dedicated to the railroad and the ghost town of Boreas. You can rent this cabin in the winter, but the only way in is by snowshoe or X-C- skiis.:huh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Off to Bailey and we decided to take a side trip to Jeffereson Lake. We got there and they wanted $5.00 per vehicle to get in and see the lake. After all the spectacular views we had seen for free, we decided to take a pass. Must have been quite a lake, though.:rofl

Our lodgings at Bailey.

[​IMG]

There was a restaurant attached to the lodge and decided to eat there, even though the lodge owner recommended going into to town. The lodge owner was right. The food wasn't terrible, but paled compared to some of the other meals we had.

[​IMG]

Bill at the dinner table again!

[​IMG]

They did have a nice pool room attached to the bar, which had a live band playing and the locals were in force. Mild mannered Bill, proved to be the consumate hustler at the table.

[​IMG]
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Scott and I left Bailey early in the morning and headed back to Iowa. I was home by about 9:30PM and had a full day on Sunday, putting everything away.

Richard, Bill and the Jim's rode into Colorado Springs. I heard they had fantastic views, but constant rain. I put on just over 1000 miles and my KTM ran flawlessly, except for the broken clutch cable. The other main four rode almost 1200 miles. If they wish, they can tell their own story or post pictures here.

Another note on equipment. I purchased a new set of Wolfman Dry Panniers. They worked admirably, but I with a few caviats. I rode the rocky sections with disregard to my bags. I did lose them once. Just make sure to check the straps occassionally and you will be alright.

[​IMG]

We rode through a lot of rain and I did get slight moisture inside the bags. Not a big deal, but pack with an inner liner to be 100% waterproof. I also took a 20mph lowslide on a gravel road. The bags resisted the impact just fine.

Overall a very good product and I recommend them.

This was a great trip and again thanks to Richard for planning it and to everyone who rode, thanks for coming. Next year is a long ways away....:cry

Thanks for viewing.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    A salute to you all....

[​IMG]
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great group of riders and an aggressive (but relaxing) program. Wonderful report and fabulous pictures.

How did the recovering arm hold up for the ride - especially with all those rocks?
  10. bonedale

bonedale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.rmrwinc.com/

Just a little plug for the KTM shop in C'Dale (I used to live right next door to it). These guys know their shit and in that very small store carry parts for more than you think. But more than that, have people working there that don't sell snowmobiles, or ATVs, just race, sell, and fix serious bikes.

I know many of you ADVrider's travel through this little town so if you need something for the moto, they are on the Redstone side of C'dale on 133.

Oh, great report.
  11. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    great report there - you've inspired me to work on my bike tonight
  12. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    SHIT!... Man! :thumb

Who wants to take delivery on my bike for me?

I'm there! :beer
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    We made the Lake City website. While riding up Engineer Pass, a photographer from the Visitors Bureau was taking pictures, to update their website. So we are now superstars.:evil

http://www.lakecity.com/motorized.html
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    It's still a little sore, but didn't impede my riding. Thanks for asking.

I've got to ride the U.P. sometime. Maybe a couple of days in the fall? We met a guy who worked at the KTM shop from Carbondale. A transplanted L.P. resident. He said the L.P. is getting too whooped out and recommended going to the U.P. instead. Just don't tell anyone else.:rofl
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Prolly we can put something together . . . fall or spring would both be good.
    Skinner puts something on in May. Askel has something coming up too. The key is catching the trails that have been groomed . . .
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I thought grooming was for snowmobiles and single guys?
  17. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to do this trip someday...... crap, lemme locate an 11500GS and then we will talk .... :huh
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report! Dirtdoggie and I just got back from Crested Butte yesterday.

We rode Schofield both ways and it wasn't bad at all. We rode to Marble, then turned around and rode back up it. I was riding an LC4 and he on a 640 Adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing. Looked like an epic ride!:clap
  20. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Excellent Report.. Looks like an awsome ride!!