Another GPS Question

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Steverino, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Which GPS units allow you to plan a route in the Mapsource CD software and upload to the unit? I know that I am limiting this to just Garmin units but that is fine. I have a Map76 right now and it works great except I am not able to plan a route on the computer and then upload it to the unit. I find that very limiting in its usefullness.
  2. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I have personal experience with the Garmin GPS III, the GPS V and the Street Pilot lines. With the III and the V, you have no choice - you have to hook them up to the serial line from your computer and can download either maps, tracks or routes. Units with the data card are a bit different in that you can upload maps only to the data card via the USB programmer (way faster). I still have to physically attach the unit to the serial cable to upload or download track logs or routes, but they're very small and it goes quickly even using the serial cable.

Some of the newer units (Street Pilot III, GPS V) offer you turn-by-turn street routing, but I've had good results just inputting waypoints where needed with my old Street Pilot. Works for me.

Clear? HTH...

Marc
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Steve,

The routing capabilities of Mapsource are quite perochial. You'll need something like DeLorme Street Atlas or Roads and Recreation to plan the route. Once you do that then you can down load to Streetpilots, III+, V, Emap, etc via USB cable. You might even be able to do it through the USB card-reader :dunno
  4. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Fish is right here. Yes, I have both products, but primarily use Roads and Rec for it's off-road detail. Anyways, it isn't always totally clear which product you've selected when dealing with the Garmin interface and, after checking, I was referring to the R&R product. Sorry for the bum-steer here...

Marc
  5. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Perochial?
    Do you mean parochial?
    What about limited? :evil
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey, it was early. And I meant parochial.
    If I meant to use limited, I would have used it (although probably spelled it "lemited").

So,[​IMG]
  7. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    But the bone-us of the SPIII and GPSV is that they route in the GPS...right? The demo screens show putting an address in and it telling you where to go.

I could see this being good at times. Wander off, get lost, then say "go home" and get directions. But around here it's not that hard to find your way home, and IMHO this type of stuff should be done when stopped. In that case I look at the GPS to determine where I'm at, get out a big paper map and figure it out myself.

I dunno. I guess it depends on what you use the GPS for and what youre local roads are like, how much money you have....what color bike you have... The perfect GPS for me is not the perfect GPS for anyone else.

I've had several GPS units before finding one I really found useful and liked. I'm waiting for something to replace the GPS-V. I want that form factor, that screen, the autorouting, and memory cards.

My only gripe about the eMap, which otherwise looks pretty good, is it's not as waterproof. Has anyone actually had a eMap that got damaged by water? They say it's splash proof but not dunkable. Good enough?

If you've never had a GPS, perhaps pick a used III+, mono-SP, or eMap off ebay for a steal and see how it works...see what you like, what you don't, then go from there.
  8. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
    Mapsource now does allow routing on the PC and downloading the route to the GPS. The new version of Metroguide USA (ver 4.01) has built-in autorouting that is quite a bit faster than Delorme, but without as many features. The maps also support autorouting on the V and the SP III without having to purchase different map areas at ridiculous fee schedules. Of course, I have already bought all the zones on the City Navigator disk, but this seems much better.

John Menefee
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about this. With my Streetpilots, if I do a find on a landmark, it just points a big "as the crow flies" arrow, and I have to figure out how to get there. Are you saying that when you find a mickey d's that's three miles away, it gives you turn by turn directions without first downloading the route?
  10. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're this far into this thread and you're just figuring this new found feature of the GPSV and new SP's out? :rofl

Read here, IMHO these guys do really good reviews.
    http://www.gpsinformation.net/gps5/g5review.htm

Now quit talking about it, I'm saving my dough for new boots. Really, I *DON'T* need another GPS. I don't need another GPS...

Oh, I just remembered another reason to not to buy Lowrance/Eagle. I interviewed there, they were massive assholes. But that's a story for another day.
  11. ralogan

ralogan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "MapSourceĀ™ is compatible with all GARMIN GPS systems except the GPS 100 family of products (GPS 100AVD, GPS 100MRN, GPS 100MIL, SRVY II) and panel mount aviation units. Trip and waypoint planning is possible for all other units; however, the map transfer feature is only compatible with the following GARMIN GPS units: GPS III+, 12MAP, NavTalk, GPSMAP 162, GPSMAP 168 Sounder, StreetPilot, StreetPilot ColorMap, StreetPilot III, GPS V, GPSMAP 295, eMap, eTrex Vista, and eTrex Legend, GPSMAP 76, GPSMAP 176, GPSMAP 176C, GPSMAP 182, GPSMAP 188 Sounder, GPSMAP 232, GPSMAP 238 Sounder, GPSMAP 2006, and GPSMAP 2010."
    Lifted from:
    http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/

I have uploaded routes and maps from both the MapSource World Map and Mapsource Roads & Rec to my GPSIII+ for a few years. The World Map is several years out of date in Mexico and has led to some problems requiring many hours backtracking. Out of country, always cross-check with an up-to-date road map.
    Regards, Rich
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I think I need this new streetpilot. But I got a mono and a colormap. Maybe I'll post 'em in the Flea Market and see if I can get a III. I really think it would be good to do on the fly routing. Fucke. That's what it's all about, other than accurate mph and compass / intersection notice.

On a similar note, I got a fancy (two, actually) package from bmwna today, advertising all of their holiday gift ideas for the bmw rider. The prominent item was the navigation system for the KLT. $1495. Get this: it's got a lockout so you can't futz with it while your moving. Now how fdup is that?
  13. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fishy.....the BMW unit is the exact same as the spIII, just has BMW printed on it, dunno why they say only for the KLT, maybe a mounting issue. $1495?!? whoa! The SPIII can be had for about $800, thats how much I paid this summer. Haven't tried it on my GS yet, i'm waiting for the Touratech mount for the GS.

I have the SPIII works very well you can fudge with it on the fly if you wish, there is also a safty mode where it is locked when you are moving. The recalculating feature is quite nice, and the voice direction is even better, you don't even have to look at the unit while driving in the cage, the speaker is built ino into the cig adapter, you will not get any voice directions while riding, unless you plug in a speaker of some sort.

Best unit I have seen and used. Get it!

I'll take one of your older p.o.s. fer 20 bucks! Double what Razor is offering! Think about it! Its very generous! Tis the season of giving.
  14. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how it works where the roads are so curvey that they don't ever connect. But round these flat parts I find it most useful for getting lost. Ok, I'm generally here. I can keep getting lost. Then I use it find the closest "big" road so I can get home in time before the bike turns back into kraut.

I wonder what all that 1400 includes for the LT. I know it has a remote mounted antenna. It's mounted so far away from the rider I doubt you COULD use it when moving. Perhaps they include the metroguide cartridges? Or just shaft ya. Who knows.
  15. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
    The ridiculously expensive BMW nav system is just a StreetPilot III with a mount specifically for the LT, a 64mb data cartridge, and all BMW dealers programmed into the basemap, and a remote antenna. I got the same on my LT with the standard SPIII with a 128mb cartridge, a RCU shelf for mounting, a remote antenna, and my BMW Anon. book for under $1100. Go figure. And I can put the GPS on my GS anytime I want. The BMW unit is a bitch to remove and put on something else.

John Menefee