Another GS Adventure being hacked

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MIXR, Sep 18, 2011.

1. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    My pup approves of this plan so far. Carry on...
  2. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Hope no animals were harmed in the making of this thread.:lol3

[​IMG]
  3. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only Micks back trying to pick it up:lol3
  4. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only reason I have photos of the thing on it's side is that it took a while to figure out 'how' to get it upright as it was facing slightly downhill seat first! Kipper was no help at all.

Anyway - Went to SRK again today for a brief visit and progress check. The bike was dropped off two weekends back. Possibly a bit hasty, but it suited me.

The tub has been painted BMW silver! Looks very spiffy (is that a word?). Some of the frame is made, but not worth a photo as it's really a stock item for the underside of the tub.

Here's the tub:
    [​IMG]

And another view:
    [​IMG]

We had what turned out to be a long discussion on the intended use of this outfit. One thing I asked about was the strength of the glass on the rear of the tub for mounting a spare wheel. GSA wheels are very weighty when fitted out with a tyre and disk rotor.

Since this is a 'third-prototype', SRK are going to construct a hoop frame off the sidecar chassis that runs over the back of the tub. This will form the basis of a very strong wheel (and luggage) mounting frame. Totally removes the potential for breaking the tub back by drilling it full of plated holes and bouncing around with too much weight on-board. It will be less 'pretty', but very functional. And let's face facts here - The GSA is not a 'pretty' bike anyway!

The large mudguard also needs some trimming to fit the big GSA wheel, so it remains unpainted for the moment.

Expectations are that I'll pick this monster up in two weekend's time. Lots of interest in the build, so I hope it looks as good as it sounds!

Cheers all, Mick.
  5. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My patience has worn very thin on this build with SRK Engineering and I have taken the decision to cancel the project. Email sent to them this morning stating my dissatisfaction with the customer service. I'm tired of the constantly extending timeframe, lack of communication, and whatever else you care to name. They might produce a quality product, but enough is enough! It's not worth it.

I am dissapointed as I was really looking forward to it, but at some point you realise that the two months wasted since a deposit was taken, and month without my bike, for little outcome other than a painted tub and a few bits of stock framing, are just not worth the aggravation and expense. It's an impossible situation.

I've blown money on hack wheels, and what will be 4 trips to Bathurst to try and get this going. Unhappy? You bet! Will I get all my money back that's been paid as deposit and a couple of 'progress' payments? You bet! I have carefully logged all my comings and goings and have all the emails, so if it gets 'legal', I should win the battle. I've tried to be patient, and polite, and not annoying, but it has definitely worked against me. Lesson learned.

Sorry to those who have followed this. It would have been interesting. Cheers, Mick.
  6. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. choccoloco

choccoloco Cabin Fever....

Oddometer:
    That's unfortunate Mick.

It's a pity they didn't keep the communication going with you. I know these things take time, mine will be a very long build, I'm still in design phase. Only thing that will shorten my outfit arrival is if I buy an already built one.

Good luck with your next move.
  8. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mick,
    if it's any consolation mine took longer than I was told ( and cost more than quoted ) too.SRK are known to be slow but my suggestion would be to give it a bit longer.It will be worth it:thumb.

Cheers
    A2
  9. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, but this has ended exactly as I feared it would

SRK appear to have no problem with my cancellation, and I pick up my bike this Thursday. Please understand that I originally had to actually go there to discuss an order as they didn't respond to my emails. It took damn-near a month to get a quote back, and a whole day for me to say yes. Two weeks after that I visited with my chair wheel as requested and saw a sanded tub. Nothing else. Two weeks further on and there was no change when I delivered the bike. Again, this was delivered as requested. Two weeks further on and I paid a visit to check progress after no email response and there was a painted tub. Yay! But nothing else apparently as it turns out. Now, two weeks further on when I was supposed to pick up the completed outfit, it has not changed from being a painted tub and still nothing else.

As I said to SRK, I'd have been happy if THEY had contacted me and said they needed to delay. I'd have been happy if they said not to bring the bike over yet as they were not ready. I'd have been happy with ANY useful communication. Hell, they only wanted the bike for a few days originally! The rest was a known build of standard tub and base frame. The odd bits were the connections and bike brackets, but even these were not a new and unknown design. Modified maybe, but this was GSA number 3 they had played with, along with some other R1150 bikes. Communication when you're having issues at the shop? Hmmmmmm.

And where was my bike for the last 3.5 weeks? Sitting outside in the sun and rain uncovered and with the key in the ignition! It looked a right old state when I saw it two weekends back! All they had to say was 'bring a cover when you give us the bike as we have no covered shed space until it moves inside for the build' and I would have thrown in my bike cover for them to use while it sat outside. Geez - I look after my gear. I actually care about my bikeI

Nope - Not good enough. I was originally advised it was a 4 week job at the outside. Now, 9 weeks on and 4 weeks with no bike, there was still NO statement of WHEN it might be done. Just an acceptance that I'm peed-off and not happy.

I have been very patient. I have not annoyed them with nuisance phonecalls or unreasonable requests. I have met every request made from their end, and stayed quiet when I thought it was off the rails. That was my mistake. Yep - This was a disaster waiting to happen and now it's done. You want me to be patient? Been there, done that.

I know I would have enjoyed the end-product, and I know the quality would have been fine. Customer service? Communication? Honesty about build status? The Prosecution rests, your Honour.

Now to see if the FULL refund is forthcoming without an argument. I'll have time to think about that on the drive over on Thursday. I'll also have to consider other options for a hack. Ural? 40 HP? Oh dear.
  10. choccoloco

Oddometer:
    Don't give up on your GS, there is other options than SRK. Whether it's custom type work or off the shelf.
  11. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Good for you and good luck with the refund. I agree with you that such a lack of communication is unacceptable. Spending money with people who provide poor customer service only encourages them to continue providing poor customer service.
  12. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a gut-full of this, but appear to be caught between the proverbial 'rock and hard place'.

I am now advised by SRK that the bike has already been dismantled for the build and that it won't be ready for me to pick up Thursday (tomorrow). SRK have asked for me to accept a finish date of 23 November, which is next week. "For the sake of a few days!" Personally, I think that they probably 'dismantled it' yesterday, but have no evidence to support that and it is just my gut feeling that it is a last-ditch attempt to salvage the project (and income).

What bloody choice do I have? I can't get back over there until end of next week if I don't go tomorrow, and the bike is in bits. Possibly Friday, maybe Saturday next week. My mate is unavailable then, so it will be a trailer job to get it home. Maybe that's a good option. I've had to agree with that, so this is on the boil once again (or should I say on the boil at last).

This thing had better be good, because the gloss has gone right off the project. It's one thing to have delays for legitimate reasons, but customer service dictates that you keep the customer advised. Maybe it's true that the 'squeaky wheel gets the oil'. Maybe I wasn't squeaking loud enough and did the wrong thing by NOT annoying the crap out of them!

It all puts a bad taste in your mouth. Very disappointing. I hope the end result justifies the journey, because at the moment I can't think of too many nice things to say about the whole show!

I'll post again end of next week, with photos. Probably shots of the thing on the trailer heading back to SRK because it doesn't work! Or am I too much of a cynic?

Cheers guys,
    Mick.
  13. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bunch of people have made contact in the few hours since this blew up and settled back down again.

Some have said it's a good thing to let it take shape and to just cross the bridge and get on with it.

Some have said I should have ditched them and insisted on getting the bike (and my money) back!

I guess I've calmed down a lot since this week kicked off on such a sour note. The build will go ahead only because I have little choice in the matter at this late stage. I hope that it works just fine and that it meets my expectations. I hope that the wait and aggravation makes it worthwhile and that my mind can blank out the crap that went with it and I can just enjoy using it.

One consolation that I wasn't expecting was that my insurer classifies it as an 'accessory' fitted to the bike. It's fully covered for no extra premium and is written into my Policy as such. Good news when the 'accessory' is worth as much as the bike!
  14. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    I love that Photo. It should be on the front page!

Sorry to hear about all the difficulties.
  15. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My FarRider buddies liked this one when I posted my trip report on the FarRider Forum,

[​IMG]
  16. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is good news Mick.

A Bit like having a baby Mate.
    Fun getting it all together and making it happen :D.

The 9 months wait is a pain with the stress of it all.The sleepless nights worrying about whether you are doing the right things.Wanting the best for the new Baby and your partner.
    Getting a bit agro with the staff looking after your loved one. You expect ever one to love and care for her like you do.

After the birth you feel relieved it turned out so well and you get to see and hold the baby at last.
    Thank the staff when it is time to take them home. Apologize to the staff for stressing out .

Hundreds of photos taken as every one wants to seen and touch the new baby.

Then the washing ,cleaning ,feeding The sleepless nights,checking it all hours of the night to make sure it is all ok.
    Keeping the dog and cat away from it . We dont want scratches and scent markings all over it do we.

There is all the new gear you and your partner will now have to buy to make it look and run better and longer.
    Getting all the paper work done.You must have proof it is yours.

.When you take it around to freinds to show them what you have made.Every one is telling you that you have a very steep learning learning curve ahead of you

After a few months you will wonder what all the fuss was about as it all settles down.

And now you get the pleasure of riding again.
    Slowly at the start "You don't want to make a fool of yourself or worst still fall off"

Last of all you get real satisfaction.
    From riding with your partner with lots and lots of practice to make up for lost time .

Same ride just different. It will never feel the same again.:deal

:hide

All the best Ian.
  17. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez Ian - I near shorted out my keyboard it was that soaked with tears! :rofl

Yeah - I understand what you're saying. There's a bit more to this than I've posted. I had concerns about the build from day 1. Day 1 was a long time before I paid my deposit. I know SRK do good work (when they get around to it) and I am sure I will enjoy the 'baby' that they produce. Does that make them surrogate parents?

My 'partner' is my dog. He's the bloke who goes everywhere with me, and he doesn't care so long as it has wheels and moves, so no issues there.

My two daughters are keen to do a ride, probably more for the novelty as they have both spent time as pillions with the old man (that would be me).

I'm keeping right out of this bun-fight with SRK until Friday next week when I roll up in Bathurst with my trailer and bring something home. Either the bike, or the outfit. I still don't care too much which way it goes, and that's a bit sad. Like I said - It will hopefully be nice and what I wanted and I can get excited about it all over again, but no big deal if it doesn't happen.

Such is life (as Ned would say). :cry

Anyway - On the basis that this goes through ok, keep me in mind if you 'upgrade' yours and have useful things to sell that you replace. I may have an interest as I follow your path. Cheers, Mick.
  18. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Mick.

And i will have to slow down on my medication after reading my rant:rofl

All the best
    Ian
  19. choccoloco

Oddometer:
    Good luck Mick, just an FYI, there's an SRK built outfit down here on the south side of town who is also an inmate, it looks really good & well built.

Ian, thanks for the baby analogy :rofl
  20. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clearly Ian came top of his class for English Literature!

Continuing the 'baby' analogy, maybe this thing will be the spawn of the Devil? Let's hope not.

As for the south outfit - Ed (FarRider and ADV) has an outfit from SRK. Lives down Tharwa way. Maybe that's the one you've seen.