Another GS Adventure being hacked

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MIXR, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Delivered the outfit last Saturday. By the time it gets back home next Saturday, it will have done around 1,000 kilometres. 900 of those will have been on the trailer! Trailering the thing does little for the paintwork, and there are numerous small stone chips in the tub and on the bike, and strap rub-marks on the chassis paint. Our country roads are crap.

There are things that still concern me about this build, but I have to take SRK at their word that my issues will be addressed. Some are trivial. Some are significant. Some are a reflection of a build standard that is not up the standard of how the product looks from a distance. 'Engineering' is not a 'trial and error' activity, and 'close-enough' is not 'good-enough' when top-dollar is being paid for the product.

Anyway - The opportunity has been given to the builder to do it right. Let's hope he takes it, does it right, and enables me to 'sell' his product and not hide from it. Cheers all, Mick.
  2. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Hack Pilot

Oddometer:
    Went on the SRK website and saw pics of your bike build.
    Just thought it was ironic considering what you are going through.
    Hope it works out for the best.
  3. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric - Yeah, I've looked at their site a few times. The original plan was that I would time my visits to be able to see and photograph the build in progress. Didn't work out that way when all my visits coincided with not much having happened in the previous two weeks! Anyway .........................

I guess I'm still looking at the trip tomorrow with more trepidation than excitement. Will it meet expectations? Will it meet build quality standards? Will it work? It won't be test ridden (driven?) again. I just want to get it on the trailer and back home. No point prolonging my stay when I know it will have been very carefully gone over this time around.

Cheers, Mick
  4. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have taken delivery of 'Goliath' for the second time, and all seems good. A few minor niggles were fixed last night, and I've done 300 kilometres so far on a short ride yesterday evening and on a longer run this morning before the rain came again. The guard is definitely fixed and is very solid. The vibration harmonics that were being set up by the original design were clearly affecting the whole rig. It's now very stable and vibration free as the guard is part of the chassis and not the suspension carrier. All future posts will be over in the Hacks area, but I can't kick that off until tomorrow. Compliments to HumVee Graphics for the decals. Lovely things. The colours are actually correct, but my photos appear to have picked up the reflective material and they appear slightly orange instead of red. I need to turn off the flash next time! For now, here's a teaser.

[​IMG]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748459 Go here for the Hacks link.
  5. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    When in doubt, Build it Stout!

:lurk

[​IMG]
  6. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The link is in the previous post Bomber, and I'll repeat it here. Slip over there for a look. The redesigned guard isn't going anywhere now! Stout you wanted. Stout it is!

This thread is now closed for me. It's no longer an 'assembly required', but an on-the-road working monster.

'Goliath' is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748459

Cheers, Mick.