another insurance advise

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mblotz, Dec 7, 2006.

1. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didnt want to steal the other thread

ok, here is my story. I just moved to Vancouver area BC with multiple bikes and cars from the US. vehicle registration is not an issue--pretty cheap ($33 for bikes). inspections might hurt some to. but insurance does look to be a killer, i am spoiled by the $30 per year per bike i was paying there (one being a KLR) so, my question, is there any kind of way around this kind of thing for a person like me who has a sickness of collecting bikes? is there some kind of collector insurance and plates i can do? most of my bikes are vintage. obviously I can not drive all of them every day, there has to be some kind of loophole.

any advise is 100% welcome
  2. LiquidSilver

LiquidSilver Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have a large number of bikes, go to an insurance broker (represents multiple ins. companies) and ask them about a fleet policy. You could get a break using that rate structure.

Cheers!
  3. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    I think "Steve G" is the man you should talk to. He has a lot of bikes.
  4. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    If a bunch of your bikes are vintage/collectible, you can get collectors plates. It restricts you somewhat but insurance is a lot cheaper. All the insurance agents should have the forms to apply for collectors plates. You'll have to take photos of the bikes to submit and I believe the bikes have to be in "Original" condition, meaning no front end from a late model GSXR on a 30 year old Honda, etc.

Insurance rates here are a rip off. I have friends who payed less living in London England than they do here and London is theft city and these guys rode year round.
  5. mblotz

mblotz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advise. who is steve g?

perhaps i will try the collector plate route, how is it limited--like how much you can use it etc? do they really hassle you for that? my other option is just to get em reg'd but not plate them and put em in storage for now. dont really want to, but i really should thin the herd. like sell my KLR and my YZ250 and get something like the new KTM 450exc dual sport that would do both well. but i dont think i need any insurance for strictly dirty bikes
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fred [Bill] is correct that you can take advantage of the collector plate program, and/or the vintage plate program.
    To apply for a 'collector plate' for a bike/car, in our case a bike, you first must have a bike that is 25 yrs old, and must be highly above average condition. While a bike in totally stock condition is a sure ticket to getting a collector plate, the fellow who issues them is a very understanding guy, a bike enthusiast, and certainly understands how tough it can be to get original pipes for example for a '73 Kawi Z1. Period additions are acceptable in certain cases, as long as the mods were available when the bike was new. Now there is another way to get a plate sooner, but alot depends on the bike production. If the bike is 15 yrs old, and that model was restricted to 1500 units worldwide for that year, you can apply early, which is what I did for my Laverda. The task of proving production #'s is yours. I was lucky enough to get a letter from Massimo Laverda before he passed, indicating production of 100 bikes for my model year. My brother has had great trouble getting this info from Honda to do the same for his '89 RC30, which we all know was very limited as well, but to date no luck from mothership Honda. Two other notes on Collector plates. First, one is able to get a "Multi Vehicle Collector Plate" , so you can put an unlimited # of bikes on one plate, and do not have to go to the 'AutoPlan" agent down the street to swap plates. Just bolt the plate to one of the other bikes and go for a ride. The rates for multi vehicle plates sort of make it a money saver if you have 4 bikes on one, vs having 4 bikes on individual collector plates. Second, the cost savings for a collector plate are on your basic mandatory minimum insurance only. Optional coverage [comprehensive, collision, fire & theft, etc] is still the same rate. As mentioned above, insurance levels in B.C. are based on engine size, with I 'm pretty sure the first at 250-400cc, 401-750cc, 751-1150cc, and everything up from there. This catagorization of engine size is the same for the collector plates. Currently I pay a basic mandatory mimimum of $205 for a full year on each bike, as my 3 collector bikes are in the 751-1150cc range. Smaller will be surprisingly quite less. Now, collector plates have use restrictions. These include, 0 trips to work, or school. Everything else goes, day/night, cross border, trips, no problem.
    The other plate is the 'Vintage' plate. Very inexpensive at $35 a yr. Very restrictive use, meaning daylight hours only, official club events or parades. Now if the rally you are going to is 2 thousand miles away, no problem. Just ride in daylight only. The bike must be 30 yrs old, [maybe 35, you should check], and can be in a condition showing the age of patina, in other words pretty rough sometimes. Again, optional coverage will be the same as regular.
    As for insuranse on dirt bikes, Bill would be able to answer that one. I can tell you I used to run up in the bush around Cultus Lake, and more than once a cop in a cruiser would come after us cause we had no lights or plate. That was 12 yrs ago.
    Ciao, Steve
  7. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Some new info for me regarding vintage plates. Thanks Steve. Guess I may start looking around for an old bike:D

Depending on where you live and what kind of riding you want to do, there's a few options for riding dirty bikes. Some legal, some..........well, you know:D

If you want to PM me I can give you some info. NOT a hard and fast rule, but you will find Cops and Forestry officials way more lenient the farther you get away from cities. For example, Princeton and Tulameen BC, I've seen unhelmeted kids on moto crossers on the one main street of Tulameen and a YZ450 riding the logging roads just about 1/4 mile from the RCMP shop:D I still wouldn't ride a WR450 on pavement though. But, I know guys who have them street certified.

Right now, because of the elevation/snow, the best places to ride dirt are covered. However, Stave Lake is fairly close but a little bit nuts on the weekends. Helmetless riders, kids on quads etc. Herrling Island isn't too bad for some single track mixed with sand riding. Chilliwack area, Chipmunk creek is nice single track but probably snowed in right now.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/fvdr/

www.dualsportbc.com
  8. krusty

krusty Banned

Oddometer:
    Insurance in Canada is a ripoff!
    But if you want to ride, you gotta have it.
    You should move back to the USA...

:evil
  9. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PI & PD insurance (minimum basic) in Alberta runs about $180.

Self insure for fire and theft ... buy a gun.

You have 48 hours to xfer to another bike (just move the plate and inform them within 48 hours).

To permanently xfer is about $30 ... (I haven't done this in a couple years).

You can only ride one at a time ...

So $180 per year ... and $30 to transfer it to an other bike ... but only if you are going to use it for over a couple days ...

Think about it.

Life is good ... fill your boots.

10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    How long's your riding season?:rofl
    Ciao, Steve