Another Journey of Solace

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaBinChe, Jun 27, 2021.

1. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well lockdown for the most part has been lifted and the gears of life is starting to turn. Time to go on another road trip. This time it'll be another Scooter CannonBall Run, last year was postpone to this year. Starting in Bar Harbor ME ending in Eureka CA. The event isn't happening for another two weeks but I'm riding there from CA so CA to ME back to CA. I'll take somewhat leisurely zigzaging northern route. I know I want to see Yellow Stone, everything else I'll see when I come to it. I want to stay north too keep cooler....know there is currently a heat wave in the NW so I'll head up Northern CA into NV/OR border zigzag into Idaho/Montana/Wyoming. Never seen the Great Lakes so gonna stay near them also to keep cool.

As usual I don't really like to plan my trips, just only have an ideal and go from there. Think By the time I get back home bike will have about 10k more miles. I just started to prep for this trip a few days ago. My bike is a C125 SuperCub. It was my replacement commuter for my Elite110, so is pretty much ready to go, only thing I added was a Iphone mount. Have a ride report on it when I got it, was a fly and ride from AR to CA.
    Starting at post #2518, ending at post #2613 on the SuperCub tread:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-super-cub-c125.1263678/page-126#post-38397974
    And the previous Journey of Solace: https://advrider.com/f/threads/journey-of-solace.980710/

A few months ago I lost Patrick, my dog:
    18031AAE-26B3-471E-AAFE-28C7E17EA0CD_1_201_a.jpeg
    Before having Patrick I was emotionally indifferent about dogs. Previously to having him I never understood how folks were so attached to their pets. Now I know, why dogs are men's best friend. He had such a profound effect on my life, gave me something I never knew. My baby, you will be missed.
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salth2ofish, garfey, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  3. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool!
  4. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replying to sub.... DBC, I am so sorry for your loss of your dog... some peoeple don't understand how a pet can impact them but I certainly get it... take care amigo!
    dp064 likes this.
  5. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 1 East...more North:

Had a late start this morning, neighborhood cats where humping all night and kept me up. If Patrick was still around he would have chased them off and I would have gotten a good nights sleep.
    Starting mileage:
    CA7C10A7-6548-4EC2-B743-054D37A27B86_1_201_a.jpeg
    Took off at 9:40a, decided to head North along the coast to stay cool. Unusual long lasting fog, view of the SouthBay East Hills:
    89813AC7-ECAB-4344-A83B-194FCF92B099_1_201_a.jpeg
    Got cold in SF and had to put on warm layer. Traffic as usual in SF. Lost a wind screen screw/bolt and had to stop by an ACE Hardware to get another. All the stopping wasted an hour easy. After SF decided to head inland and .go thru wine country. Figured farthest I can get today is Redding so made that the end point for today. As I got into the central valley it got HOT. Didn't take much pics cause of the late start and trying to make up time. Got to Redding at 8:40p and got dinner. Didn't make good time today cause of all the stopping and fiddling with my setup. Keeping an eye on this heat wave and think I'll head as east as I can into NV and ID. Looking at the map and didn't realize that Yellowstone latitude is lower than Portland..for some reason I had always thought Yellowstone was just below the Canada border.

Bike handle kinda floppy with all the weight being high back, made the front end feel really light
    td63, DandyDoug, Salth2ofish and 12 others like this.
  6. Zamdrang

Zamdrang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following your trip with envy. Sorry to hear about your dog, lost mine last year, dealing with the loss was when the small bike adventure idea hit and I bought a Trail 125 and found your vids. I used to live near Redding... Gets hot indeed in that area. Safe travels, look forward to more posts.
    dp064 and Major Taylor like this.
  7. thefieldworker

thefieldworker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following your trip with great interest. Safe travels.
  8. vintagegarage

vintagegarage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    following too.. your updates are much appreciated...
  9. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    2nd day East:
    Had another late start, almost the same time as day 1
    027F9000-7AD1-4829-A5FE-0D302BB6A872_1_201_a.jpeg
    Another hot day, the heat is really getting to me. I'm using a cooling vest and a neck gator, neck gator drys out really fast, cooling vest front drys out in an hour, rear drys out in about two hours.
    E6B44F8A-E868-4A83-B8CB-789CB32C49CD_1_201_a.jpeg

Ran across this road side scale and checked to see how heavy my set up is:
    F1951156-140C-4F5A-9F7F-F7E65E03BB76.jpeg
    Made much better time today but did about the same mileage. Ended up in Burns Oregon, got here around 6pm. I'm gauging my time and distance travel so I can have a better ideal for SCBR. Looks like I'm covering 200miles in about 5hours, so them 500mile days will take about 13hours.
    td63, DandyDoug, Salth2ofish and 11 others like this.
  10. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice mirror! :thumb :lol3
    When I was a kid I had the equivalent on my El Camino gas pedal, and then a little one on my floor mounted dimmer switch.
    I thought they were pretty fun then, and I still do!

Why carry the tires? ............... aren't those common enough sizes to easily source on the road?

Thanks for taking us along with you!
    DandyDoug likes this.
  11. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the 300lbs is without you on it.. that's lighter than I would have guessed looking at the bike. Are you relocating anything (i.e. tires) to the support truck for the SCBR?
  12. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s a helluva shakedown ride, especially for a guy who already knows his scoot very well. Good Luck with the SCBR!
  13. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how long tires will last on a ride like this and time is of the essence. Also supply chain problems since last year so size for the SC is pretty much out of stock.

Yeah that is without me, with me it came out to 450lbs., not sure what the resolution of the scale is if it goes down to the nearest 50lbs, or 20lbs, or 1lbs, etc.
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    3rd day East:
    Started earlier today by about 2hours compared to the first two. Decided that I wanted to go 400+miles today to get me into conditioning for the 500+ mile days.
    17E501B6-1DB0-4B7F-B5DA-6DA80DC11F88.jpeg
    Last two day was hot so wanted to take a cooler route up into the mountains. Once passed Boise ID headed into the Boise NF but missed my turn cause I was enjoying the canyon/river. Close to an hour I had a feeling I missed a turn. Checked map and saw I had passed it about 40miles earlier. Turned around and ended up loosing two hours and adding about 80miles. Once I got back on the right track saw rain clouds, eventually got in to short disperse sections of rain. Got a little wet and cold. Good thing I put on windshield and had shield to keep my torso and hands mostly dry and reduce wind chill, had to tuck a little cause my wind shield only covers up to the collar bone. Finally got out of the rain and was running low on fuel. With the bike filled and the 1.25gallon jug filled to the rim I can easily get over 200miles going WOT the whole time.
    Saw Tooth NF:
    3497340B-6FCB-4F04-B518-7AE76DBDFD71_1_201_a.jpeg
    With the MTN time lost an hour so got to Arco about 8:30p. Ended up with over 500miles in under 12hours.
    830626A0-51A1-40F5-B56B-7CA2B7B017C6_1_201_a.jpeg
    td63, DandyDoug, cheapeto and 18 others like this.
  15. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following. Stay safe.
    DandyDoug and dp064 like this.
  16. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in and following along - have fun and appreciate the ride report / pics
    DandyDoug and dp064 like this.
  17. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 East:
    Started the day almost the same time as the first two days, clock is set on CA time. As you can see starting milage today shows that I went over 500 miles yesterday. Felt a little beat up today from yesterday's 500+miles. I was so close to Yellowstone and where I'll be staying tonight that I decided to double the mileage taking the long way around from the Southern end.
    CED4B144-2B74-4FA3-AE79-04F80E1B1002_1_201_a.jpeg
    Riding thru Teton NP. It is a small park with some dirt/gravel roads at the Southern end and some side roads. The SuperCub attracts lots of attention, think cause it doesn't look intimidating. I'm starting to get the where you going looks and question with three tires on back. Just before getting to Yellowstone got into a short afternoon rain.
    1DB0497C-BBBD-4DA2-A3F4-F8D154E200D3_1_201_a.jpeg 398A1DBC-5162-4DDB-B51A-529803D11EF7_1_201_a.jpeg
    Went and saw Old Fateful...man that place was packed. Was surprised that OF was so quiet, was expecting to hear eruption sounds and some earth trembling...nada. Trees in YS are so small, short and thin. Guess I so used to the West Coast big trees....

Got to where I am staying just before 9pm, but with lots of sight seeing/stopping, OF took over an hour of hanging out eruption and walking around and an hour dinner. Think I went about 350ish miles. Chain is getting loud, with well over 1500miles since it was lubed, should of done it yesterday. Bike is also doing this pulsing/lunging sensation, think it is from the chain possibly a kink cause it is so dry. Also had to top off the oil this morning too, it was at the low mark. Riding 12hour days at WOT consumes oil.

Just got done with chain maintenance. It was very loose and pretty dry. Only had motor oil so used that for now. Hopefully this will get rid of the pulsing. Need to stop in a bicycle store to get a little squeeze bottle of chain lube.
    QuasiMotard, td63, DandyDoug and 9 others like this.
  18. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    The whole design of that sealed chain is to keep that puppy wet and wild like a spring breaker with a bottle of Jagermeister in her.
    DandyDoug likes this.
  19. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about wet but it does stay clean for much longer.
  20. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 5 East:

Latest start yet, bike clock will stay on CA time. With the chain adjusted and lubed sounded and felt good again. Was thinking taking an easy day and more touristy stuff.
    D6A56778-3A7D-4E11-9A9D-A44578BEEC61.jpeg

Went thru YellowStone again, from the West out the East. Never knew YS had such a large lake in it, something never shown in them nature shows. Buffalo Bill here just chilling next to the boiling mud.
    13AAA29C-F5BE-4AD0-B875-F0DD74FC8DFD_1_201_a.jpeg

Got out of YS and felt like there was plenty of time so decided to go longer than planned. Caught a peek at a rodeo. It's a young man's game.
    FF9477F5-333C-4D90-B8C4-115356FB150D.jpeg

Down the street from the rodeo saw a sign that said "shoot Gatling gun here" so had to go in.
    EC0F80FC-55D3-45AD-88F9-DB11A1D0A199.jpeg

It was the slowest going yet over this pass. Bike slowed down to 40mph. It felt weakest here so far. Started to get cold. Got diner down the pass and rode some more into the dark. First time riding in the dark on this trip.
    FB87B27F-CA61-4968-AC97-5C567B456351.jpeg

Check the chain and it was a little loose again, by half turn of adjuster, last time was a full turn of adjuster. Oil level is still at upper mark. Ridden about 2k miles so far and the rear tire is well past half worn, don't think it will make it to Maine. If I got straight to BarHarbor from where I'm at is still over 2k miles. All the weight, high speed, and heat is wearing the tire faster than normal.
    QuasiMotard, td63, DandyDoug and 17 others like this.