Another Journey of Solace

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaBinChe, Jun 27, 2021.

1. vintagegarage

vintagegarage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. MaineScoot

MaineScoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread, I did comment over on YouTube (Portland Pudgy) I wish I had found it earlier! We are in Portland and it would have been so fun to host you here. We have a spare bedroom and you could have done your laundry and any maintenance. I’ve been following your adventures since the Alaska trip. I used to have a blue Simba like yours. Oh, well, I’m subscribed now.

We have three members of our scooter club riding the Cannonball this year, Lynn(90), Mary(80) and Craig(34). We had even more club members signed up for last year but not all could swing it for this year.

Great job staying in 2nd place again today.
    Salth2ofish likes this.
  3. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 16 east, SCBR day 2

Little wet at beginning and end of ride. Long day today, roads were much faster and open, bad for the SC cause its strength is tight twisty....pretty much from now until the Rockies the road will be wide open so them big scoots can really open up and get ahead. Goolge map had me going around the long way good if you are in a fast vehicle but bad for me, best for a slow vehicle to have the shortest route even if it isn't as straight.
    Starting mileage:
    83D4690D-A5C1-49D3-B953-DE115FA535A3.jpeg
  4. Zamdrang

Zamdrang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a journey so far, envious. As scheduled you'll be coming through my town mid morning on 19th, Vernal UT. Unfortunately I'll be at work so I can't even watch for you all. But if by some chance it comes down to needing something, a place to stay or a place to work on the bike, pm me. I'd be happy to help you out.
    klaviator likes this.
  5. =retread=

=retread= more MPG

Oddometer:
    good luck young man!! your a scooter riding animal!! my ass is killing me just watching the miles pile up on your odometer the last week or so!!
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    SCBR day 3:
    Actually got up early again but stayed for continental breakfast and helped a fellow rider with their bike so left around 7am and got in around 5ish. Nothing to see today.
    Starting mileage:
    57A7156F-1AC4-488D-86FB-18FBC4F251A5_1_201_a.jpeg
  7. bobcat

bobcat recalculating

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying watching the Cannonball from afar, thanks for your ride report, DBC! Looks like you may have had nice scenery along Lake Michigan today.

sc2021.JPG
    Salth2ofish, dp064 and villageidiot like this.
  8. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 SCBR:
    Rain last night. Was helping a fellow rider fix their brake issue till about 11:30. Got back to the hotel showered and didn't get to sleep til about 1am. Woked up to rain. Got going around 7am. Rain lasted till after 10am so didn't see much of the lake on the MI side but by the WI side I did see it. It was a very fast moving day once the rain stopped. About a hundred or two miles from destination began the flat corn fields again. Had a little welcoming party from the local Honda/Yamaha/etc dealer, with cold drinks local cheese curds and brautwurst. At least one rider went down a broke some bones. I almost went down too. It was early afternoon and I get my early afternoon drowsyness, came upon a slight hump in the road just before a sharp curve and the other side, which was visually blocked by the hump until you are just about on top of it was a dirt gravel corner. I had set up to carve that corner hard but had to quickly stand it up and hard on the brakes. As usual as the days past the number of folks gets smaller. Didn't get the beginning day mileage. I thought I did but last night's late work threw me off and everything went like dominos. Last two nights I had stayed up late and still am waking at about 5am so tonight I'm hitting the sack early. I can feel the exhaustion today.
    AVPU, td63, Achtung and 17 others like this.
  9. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're doing great so far. Hope you are enjoying it as well. I can't imagine riding cross country just to turn around and ride cross country back again. I'm following the cannonball on their website too when I can.
    Best of luck. Stay safe.
  10. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun, be careful.
    dp064 and klaviator like this.
  11. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day5 SCBR:
    Day started cool and foggy. It got warm later in the afternoon. Today was a fast day, low population density/traffic and very straight roads with some twisty thrown in here and there. Didn't hear about any crashes, but bunch of mechanical problems. Not much holding me back this day so I was going. Was a shorter day so most got in earlier and lots of action going on in the parking lot. B9BA6BF6-CD14-494D-A555-A29B66F7077D_1_201_a.jpeg
    Starting mileage:
  12. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked the tracking map, see you're southbound in WY, hanging tight in 2nd place. :ricky
    Keep on Keepin' On!
    :clap :clap :clap
  13. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    SCBR day6:
    Had good rest last night. Today was the first real dirt roads, several sections, including in Bad Lands. Went south of Mt. Rushmore and rode the twistist road I have ever ridden in my life: 16A in the BlackHill. Almost crash coming down, hit a patch of gravel, got wobbly and ended up on coming lane but lucky no oncoming traffic. The Black Hills is an amazing place. I have to go back with a real bike and carve it up. Got held up by Tatanka heard for what seems like a couple minutes but more like 15+...traffic jam and the heard crossing the road. Changed both tires so now am not carrying any extra, planned out well. Got to the hotel and found that my reservation got canceled. Being Saturday all hotels were booked, so I ended up staying at a abandoned hotel. There was one room missing the door, stuck my head in and saw no furniture but there was two pillows and a thin blanket. Thought to myself not sure where/who sleeping on them but I was tired and it was late. Rolled the SC in the room and crashed.
    Starting milage:
    A9885B32-377F-4070-BFD0-B8A8D9E659AF_1_201_a.jpeg
  14. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 7 SCBR:
    Had a hard time sleeping directly on the floor and with no door around 2am it got cold and I was shivering. Didn't get much sleep. Got up early no breakfast..didn't even brush my teeth. The abandon hotel had nothing but a roof and carpet floor with two pillows and a thin blanket. Left to the starting line and just went. Today was the first official 500+ mile day. The dirt today was much worst than yesterday. The washboard jolted me to the bone. Dirt sections felt really long. I was blazing thru in a earlier dirt section was going just about 55 following the thin dirt batch on an otherwise gravel road and over a small mound but the other side had no dirt patch just deep gravel. Tank slapping fishtailing and lost control layed it down and I rolled 1, 2, 3,...lost count but think about half a dozen times. I tucked into a semi fetal position and was unscathed. My Rev'it suit saved my ass, little scuffing on top of the helmet. Bike has some scratching on front fender side of leg shield, turn signal busted but still work. But the biggest damage was the peg, it is not bent downwards. The SHAD top box took the brunt of the crash but still holding up fine. My phone charger cable got shredded, mirror is gone. Took about half hour to get everything check and together and going again. Stopped by gas station to get a new USB cable for the charger but the charging is intermittent. Was loosing charge fast so had to play the phone on/off game to make it last the whole day. This slowed me down but also missed a turn that wasted half hour. The rest of the dirt sections I took it much slower. After the adrenaline wore off I started to feel the pain on my butt cheek and ribs and soreness else where.
  15. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy Carp! Glad you didn't get too hurt.... Keep it up!
  16. MaineScoot

MaineScoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn! That sounds like a tough one! Hope you are ok. It seems crazy that there are so many unpaved sections on the route.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  17. vintagegarage

vintagegarage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect a dirty trick by one of the other riders in the top ten.. maybe I have watched too many movies..
    td63, villageidiot and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  18. beRto.

beRto. -----

Oddometer:
    Ouch! I'm really glad you were relatively unhurt!!
    dp064 and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  19. cheapeto

cheapeto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm making a list of your tips and tricks for packing, riding, and how you roll with the punches so to speak. Go man Go!
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DaBinChe,
    Thanks for all your reports on your ride. Glad to see that you doing so well.