Another Journey of Solace

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DaBinChe, Jun 27, 2021.

1. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    Good job! Glad you made it.
    villageidiot likes this.
  2. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last day, the ride home:
    Slept in till 7am, took my time left at 8am. Didn't eat breakfast, jus wanted to get going...kinda Cannonball mental state. It was low clouds but not fog, was cool but felt warmer than it looked. Decided to take the coast most the way home. Lube the chain and on my way. Once past the Eureka area and more inland along 101 skies cleared up and got a little warmer. Skipped Avenue of The Giants, normally when I go by here I always go thru it but was beat and just wanted to get home. It was very low traffic, being summer but is a weekday. Made my way down to hwy1, my favorite section of it is between Legget and the coast, second is the Sonoma coast, third is between Stinson Beach and Marin. It got chilly getting back to the coast again. Got brunch in Fort Bragg, last meal of this road trip. Was in kinda of a daze most the whole way back. Once in Marin jumped on the freeway one last time to cross the GoldenGate Bride. It was cold and windy as usual for summer in SF...."the coldest winter ever experience is a summer in SanFrancisco", Mark Twain. I hate SF, when ever I'm there I try to go thru as quickly as possible, so thread the needle all the way and took Skyline home..basically the same why I came. Took about 11hours to do about 400miles today. Now I'm gonna sleep for a week and will summarize my trip after.
    Starting mileage:
    40C879FC-F096-44B3-A929-54D7A109BE42_1_201_a.jpeg
  3. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bloody good job, thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to the rest when you've caught up on z's.
    klaviator and KansasKawboy like this.
  4. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huge achievement. My arse hurts just thinking about riding that far..... That slowly:lol2 Ouchy
  5. Kthursto

Kthursto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are a beast. I can’t imagine how Mentally and physically challenging that was. Congratulations on finishing. A lot of the ride reports I read I think; man I would love to ride with that dude. You are definitely one of them.
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The after math of 24days and over 10k miles:

Left home with about $600 in my wallet and $0 CC balance. Used up all the cash and now have just under $2600 on my CC balance, actually have a few hundred from my roommate for the first 5days or so. His scoot started to fall apart so could not continue. So this whole trip cost me about $3k including hotel, food, gas, etc. Of course what is not included in bike, gear and equipment used...these things are not one time use so are not included.

Bike crashed did some damage but surprisingly it is very minor: front fender scratched ($50 new, I'm gonna sand and repaint, might just buy new cause so cheap), peg bar bent ($27 new, I can rebend with torch and paint), left peg parts $20, bent license plate holder I'll bend back, leg shield has some minor scratches I'll leave as it, left rear reflector is scratched, left bar end weight is scratched I'll also leave as is. The aftermarket hand guards are scratched up so I'll sand them and leave as is with matte finish. Anyways I figure it'll cost no more than a couple hundred and my time/labor to get everything looking good again.

As for me: My butt/neck/back has been sore since about day 3 of the trip. Butt started to really hurt around day 5 and ease around day 8 of trip, after that it just became a discomfort but didn't hurt anymore. The crash did a number on me, whole body was sore from that and only real pain was my ribs, not sure if I hit the bike or gravel/dirt on that one that cause that pain. Whole body still sore today but is getting better each day, there is a difference in feeling better between how my body feels between waking up in the morning and going to bed at night. Once I got home yesterday and unpacked how did I go relax? By going on another ride, hour long with my ZeroSR. Shit that was hard to ride with my body being so sore and stiff. It felt SO heavy and I could barely make turns. The SR has a slight forward lean sitting position and my body was barely able to sit in that position, had a really hard time supporting myself.

Final mileage home, over 10.1k miles:
    B1BB7CC7-6E22-4108-BD7E-1C0EA0B08BCD_1_201_a.jpeg
  7. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post SCBR clean up & maintenance:
    Checked the valves still on target. This is the first small bike I had that has gone over 10k without needing a valve adjustment. Considering how hard it was ridden in that time I'm impressed. Oil was dirty but it didn't look metallic, using a magnetic drain plug. Chain was very clean for having not been cleaned this whole time. Pressure washed sprayed down the whole bike to look it over and it looks much better than anticipated. Haven't washed it with soap yet, will do that next time I look at it...which won't be for a while, not gonna ride this bike anytime soon. Ordered $200 in replacement parts: left side turn signals, front fender, peg bars.
  8. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bravo. Did you change the oil on your adventure?
  9. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Changed it before I left and in Maine. Good synthetic oil holds up very well, just need topping off in hot weather riding.
    steved57, CBRider, siyeh and 2 others like this.
  10. Ride2StaySane

Ride2StaySane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love that you did this on a Super Cub!! What did you average for mpg?
  11. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    ^ Agreed! I get nervous with the thought of riding my comfortable VFR800 across the country in a similar fashion, despite having confidence that it would have no problems whatsoever in doing so.
  12. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't keep track of MPG but my low fuel would flash between 60-70miles, takes about 0.65gallons to fill. If I ride the low fuel flash for 15miles it takes about 0.8gallons.
    steved57 and CBRider like this.
  13. Ride2StaySane

Ride2StaySane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now the gas can strapped to the front makes sense!
  14. tenders

tenders Curator of Entropy

Oddometer:
    Coast to coast to coast on 125cc - wow, what an awesome, badass adventure. Congratulations. Honda should figure out something for you to do with them.
  15. Ride2StaySane

Ride2StaySane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really think it is brilliant to show this type of touring. Granted it takes quite a bit of experience to trust going that far on a 125cc, but it just goes to show that you don't need the biggest or most expensive to get out there and enjoy riding.
  16. beRto.

beRto. -----

Oddometer:
    coast to coast... and back again!
    dp064 and CBRider like this.
  17. Willruss

Willruss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow!
  18. Zamdrang

Zamdrang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As said above, what a bad ass adventure. Few would attempt it and most think it's nuts which is exactly what makes it so cool. Congrats, glad you made it and arrived safe and sound. The cub is impressive as hell too, makes me want one. How are the vibrations on such long rides? I ride my Trail 125 for 30 miles of near top speed and feel it in my hands and feet. Sounds like the cub is quite a bit more road friendly.
  19. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    SC is easily 10mph faster than Trail. I notice that around 6k miles, bike got smoother. SC is geared really tall.
  20. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the first SCBR where there were lots of folks at check points spectating. Many of them had lots of questions. Unfortunately for myself being in a time crunch didn't really had time to chit chat. Any other time and I can talk you ears off. Some folks even had snacks and refreshments for SCBR participants. Thanks for all the support and encouragement from spectators, I really appreciate it!