(Another) no VIN on 950 SM

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Tognot, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Tognot

Tognot n00b

Oddometer:
    been searching quite a bit ( online) and have seen a couple other posts re: KTM and missing VIN.
    I have owned this bike a couple years, and I know it had at least a VIN sticker at one time, because i read the VIN to a buddy while he looked at the title - before i bought it. No legal issues- yet.

I have 4 other KTMs in the garage from 2003 to 2014. ALL have a VIN stamped on the right side of steering stem.

My 950 WAS power coated by the PO, but i carefully filed and sanded that off. You can see in the picture the machine marks on the steering stem when it was presumably turned in a lathe. These would not be there if the VIN was ground off.

Any clues or ideas ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. innovativems

innovativems Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could have have had the frame replaced with a new one from Ktm at some point. I believe they come blank if I remember right
  3. Tognot

Tognot n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok here is what I know after a few days of searching : ktm frames aren’t “stamped” like you would expect. It is REAL easy to get rid of the numbers when prepping for powder coating ( from a few powder coating forums). Several around the planet have a steering head that looks like mine. If you want a replacement “emissions label” - which includes your vin, see your dealer to start with..... BUT of course they need to see the vin on the frame......

Current KTM policy on a new frame is: you send vin part of frame to them and they “stamp” that into the new frame before shipping. My outcome: go to Highway Patrol and get a new vin attached to the bike. Yes, now new registration, etc etc, call insurance co, etc etc. Previous owner stated my frame was original - but he powder coated

Get pulled over with no vin, no law enforcement would believe the story about why my vin was gone......
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, get a stamp set and just put your own VIN back on? It won't look original, but it will be there.
    It seems that as bikes age, this becomes less of a legal issue. Then go to your dealer and maybe they'll order the emissions sticker to make it look even more legit.

Another idea, get a laser engraved plate and rivet it on. Would look more legit.
  5. speedy 1

speedy 1 Wizard

Oddometer:
    Powdercoat paint can be applied so thick the numbers can be filled in.
    I've seen this happen when having frames painted.

When being pulled over, the only thing the coppers have ever asked for is :
    license, registration, insurance. Never had the VIN checked during a traffic infraction.
    For me, the VIN number check only happens at the DMV.
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    On KTM's the VIN is only stamped into the powder coat, it doesn't go deep into the metal.
  7. speedy 1

speedy 1 Wizard

Oddometer:
    True that ... I didn't read the OP correctly. Thought I read "re-paint"
    My bad
  8. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    I had my frame re-coated and I'd specifically asked them to keep the sticker. On my bike the frame number was stamped onto the head stock. Needless to say, that's gone too.

If someone could draw up a template for a sticker kit that looks OEM, I suppose that would be the answer.
  9. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The earlier KTMs were stamped post-paint.
    And therefore didn't punch all the way trough into the metal in most cases, by SE also lost it's numbers.
    If you have the VIN, fab a jig and punch them in yourself.
    Getting the Jig from KTM / dealer is basically impossible, I argued and hassled with them for weeks before I just punched it in myself.
    Cheerio

Edit: I'll have a look and see if I can find a picture of the Jig i made.
  10. schlusi

schlusi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine bought a 950 Adv some weeks ago and there is no VIN on the frame. It got a german TÜV number.
    After a litte research we found out that years ago a KTM-Dealer bougt some damaged KTMs, ordered some new frames at KTM and fit the bikes together with the spareparts of the damaged bikes. After that he sell the bikes. The Producer in the documents is not KTM. Its the Dealer.
    They say, that the frame came without any number from KTM Austria.
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the States, you send in the old steering head with the VIN to KTMNA. They will produce a new frame with the same VIN and stickers for you.

I don't know if they will sell you a blank frame?
    Boatman likes this.
  12. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's exactly how it works. Friend of mine had a totalled SE. To get a new frame he had to cut out the steering head before the new frame would be sent. Dealer sent in the head and then they shipped the new frame.
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done it several times, but will they sell you a blank frame?
  14. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ive been told no by a dealer.