Another old Yamaha Enduro lives....1971 RT1b

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by lrutt, Mar 26, 2013.

1. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    I picked this bike up last year. Appeared to be a low miles (4800) original. Still on original rubber. Had not been started in a very long time but it was mostly there. So $850 later and it's in my garage. I used to have one like this in high school so this has been a long time in coming. Finding a good old enduro for a reasonable price is tough. They are either primo with $$ to match, or a pile o shit.

So I got it running and all seemed pretty good with it. Front suspension was totally frozen, no movement, and it had a fair amount of piston slap, but it ran and shifted.

Tore it down, bore was ok so only needed to go 1st over. The paint on the gas tank, oil tank, headlight and ears is all original. Just touched up, wet sanded, and polished. I repainted the frame and silver bits. All chrome and the seat is original. As a matter of fact i believe that all parts on this bike were/are original. The badges were a little rough but I did my best to keep the originals of those as well. That is the goal with all my resto's.

So you can see a couple before and afters here. Tomorrow I'll start it up and give it a test. After I make sure the autolube is working. I've primed it and bled the air out. Just have to make sure it's pumping through. first tank of fuel will have extra oil in it as well.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Foot dragger likes this.
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    sweet! it's even got the buddy pegs.

where's the luggage rack? :lol3:wink::freaky:D:rofl
  3. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man!!!!! That looks SWEET!! You did a great job! I love those old RT1's.
    Also, you are my new hero!! I love the pic of all of the bikes lined up under cover in the garage!! You could ride a different one every day for a month!!
    Have fun with it!!!!
  4. smokin2stroke

smokin2stroke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have one myself and they are horses with tons of torque. Yours looks very nice. One day I'd like to totally restore it, but it be needing a crank at the moment. :cry
  5. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Nicely done! :clap
  6. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 250 and 360's did not have racks from the factory, you had to buy them extra. The 125 and 175's had racks.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Westwood? Up above Chester? I used to race their yearly MX up there,great fun with big waterhole jump and some singletrack through the trees. It was a while ago.
  8. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1st real bike,and it went thru living hell until I finally and mecifully sold it in 77 for a measly $190 .Was supposed to be $225 and the guy was making payments on it:lol3 and I took pity on him.
  9. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    Well....a bit of a setback. Had it running last week but was loading upbadly. brought it home to check things out and oil dripping from exhaust port. Wiped it off and it was pink. oh oh, ATF in the tranny making it's way to through the motor. Time for new seals. I thought they were good but I did not verify with a leak down test. So both sides off and will pop new seals in tonight. Oh well. when it was running it was solid and sounded good. Cracked her full and she really wanted to take off but a fresh motor so I backed off.

Should have it whipped by tomorrow evening.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  10. ctune80

ctune80 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get this one up and running? You need to come to one of our Yamaha Enduro rides!
    Foot dragger likes this.