Another Red Ascot, 1983 VT500 Restoration.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tytan, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a Honda so it has to be Red !

To make a long story very short I had this given to me by a neighbour about two years ago he was over looking at my FT and mentioned he had the same bike sitting in his back yard under a pine tree uncovered for about 6 years :hmmmmm hmmmm sounded like a good restoration project and a stable mate for my 1982 FT 500 Ascot. My Dad had a Red VT in the early 80's so that was another plus to restoring this bike.

The FT500.

IMG_1104 Resize.jpg
    The VT after dragging it out of the neighbours yard and after a bath, looks not too bad from 50ft away :jack I cleaned the carbs had the tank interior cleaned and sealed as it had water in it, changed all the fluids rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder, replaced the leaky fork seals and rode it a few times to make sure it was mechanically sound.

April 7th 009 Resize.jpg April 7th Resize.jpg
    Due to lack of space and a garage renovation, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/garage-renovation.1272029/ it got stuffed in the shed until time and space allowed here it is on the lift waiting for tear down as the frame has a lot of surface corrosion.

Dec 31st Resize.jpg
    Bigger Al, Fast Idle, L.B.S. and 3 others like this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to lust after the Ascot back in the middle 80s!
    Fast Idle and scot_douglas like this.
  3. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waiting for a specific socket so I can remove the swing arm.

January 10th Resize.jpg
    Pezz_gs, pennswoodsed and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. X5-

X5- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You aren’t the only one!!
  5. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off to the sandblaster and powdercoater this week.

January 14th Resize.jpg
  6. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frame got dropped off for powder coating this week and the valve covers and carbs were vapour blasted then the carbs got an ultrasonic bath. I think I found some piston rings so the bores will get a light hone, new rings, lap the valves and new valve seals are next on the list.

Carbs 1 Resize.jpg Carbs 2 Resize.jpg
    Valve Covers Resize.jpg
    Hi-De-Ho and invisa-bill like this.
  7. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Good work. Cleanliness is pretty.
  8. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Always thought that A VTFt would make a great dirt road bike .Take a few lbs and tune(kit) the suspension and lite free breathing(not loud) exhaust !
  9. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The exhaust on this thing is heavy and mine sounds like the guts are all rotted so I might end up with a NOS Mac exhaust instead of trying to repair this one.

I got the top end taken apart so I can get everything cleaned up and off to the machine shop for honing, new rings, new valve seals then get the heads and barrels sandblasted and repainted.

IMG_2288 Resize.jpg
    IMG_2291 Resize.jpg
  10. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been a hurry up and wait for parts week, still waiting on the gasket kits, piston rings and powder coated frame. I did get some new parts, new clutch cable from MotionPro, had a local shop make a new braided steel front brake line and ordered a NOS Mac exhaust. Some frame parts got sand blasted at the local Ublast place there's something therapeutic about sand blasting old parts :hmmmmm

IMG_2294 Resize.jpg
    jays100, Hi-De-Ho and Fast Idle like this.
  11. Wes Kootenay

Wes Kootenay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slocan Park in the Slocan Valley, BC, Canada
    OK, I'm watching this. My, new to me, '83 Ascot VT is one sad puppy. I plan to get it 'rideable' this spring. The attached pics are from the 'good home wanted' ad - the ugly carrier is gone.
    Must be nice to have so many facilities close by, but I wouldn't trade where I live for an urban center. :-)
    Thanks for the great pics, they are a real help to me.
    Al

BTW I guess you know there is an Ascot Owners forum? http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ascot-owners-forum.661405/

vt5001.JPG vt5002.JPG
    jays100 likes this.
  12. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a parts delivery and the frame was ready, now I need to make some assembly progress this weekend.

Parts Resize.jpg Frame Resize.jpg
    jays100, DuaKembara and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  13. Wes Kootenay

Wes Kootenay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slocan Park in the Slocan Valley, BC, Canada
    :lurk :beer
    Lookin' good.
  14. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had ordered two engine gasket kits from the Honda dealer and was told they would take about two weeks well three weeks later and they are all of a sudden discontinued :becca I found one kit on Ebay and the second at a dealer in Fairbanks AK so I finally have the gasket kits which include valve seals so now the cylinders and heads are finally at the machine shop. Progress is slow but steady the frame is now on the lift all the threads chased with a tap and the wiring harness partially installed.

Frame 2 Resize.jpg
    Bigger Al and JimVonBaden like this.
  15. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    Your moving pretty fast on this project. No short cuts. It looks great. I'm sure you have addressed this, or will shortly. Remove the frame paint for superior electrical grounding. Enough from the peanut gallery. You know what you are doing.
  16. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swing arm came back from painting so now I have a rolling chassis, tail section, battery box, air box and most of the main electrical connections are complete. I found some NOS rear indicators the ones I have are not good the housings were very brittle from being in the sun the fronts are in good condition so they can be reused. Waiting for a few more parts from powder coating so I can finish assembling the front headlight, handlebars and gauges and waiting for the heads to come back from the machine shop so I can reassemble the engine. The old shock is there to hold the rear end together I will be finding some replacements.

. IMG_2321 Resize.jpg IMG_2320 Resize.jpg IMG_2319 Resize.jpg IMG_2318 Resize.jpg
  17. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very pretty!
  18. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job, always liked those bikes.
  19. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More shiny bits showed up from powder coating today now I can get the footpegs, top triple clamp, handlebars, gauges, headlight etc assembled then work on polishing the aluminum part of the case covers.

IMG_2327 Resize.jpg
    IMG_2328 Resize.jpg
    IMG_2329 Resize.jpg
    TonyKZ1 and Slytheslayer like this.
  20. Slytheslayer

Slytheslayer Ride or Die!!

Oddometer:
    Oooh pretty...lol