Another Red Ascot, 1983 VT500 Restoration.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tytan, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Slytheslayer

Slytheslayer Ride or Die!!

Oddometer:
    Wow. Looks brand new! Great job!
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic! Total flashback!
  3. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dragging this up from the depths.

I have not ridden the Ascot much this summer mainly because I was not very happy with the Mac exhaust I used it was too loud and raspy for my tastes and I wasn't crazy about the looks, the lines were not right the mufflers should end about 4" further back and the horizontal pipes under the frame were not parallel to each other. I used the Mac system because the original was in rough shape and I thought it would be an easy solution to repairing the oem system.

Mac exhaust after the restoration notice the horizontal pipes under the engine.

IMG_2368 Resize.jpg

Next step was trying a set of Emgo tuneable slip on mufflers and getting the horizontal pipes parallel. Still not happy with the sound the mufflers are not very tuneable and it still sounds raspy even with DB killers installed.

Emgo Exhaust Resize.jpg

Next step was to see if the factory system was as bad as I remembered I had put it in a storage tub when the restoration started and stuck it on a shelf in the garage. I have been keeping an eye on EBay for a decent factory system or parts of one and nothing looked much better than what I already had so I did minimal cleanup and put it back on the bike to see what I was dealing with. The factory system sounds much nicer than any of the other combos I tried maybe a little on the quiet side but I wanted to get the bike as original as possible and I like the lines of the rear section of the oem system better. I noticed the oem front pipes are double walled which probably helps keep the system quiet.

Factory Exhaust #1 Resize.jpg

Some damage on the muffler that I will look at repairing.

Factory Exhaust #2.jpg
    I took the front pipe to the local ceramic coating shop and he sand blasted a section to see how bad the corrosion is and get his opinion on coating it, should be no problem.

Factory Exhaust #3 Resize.jpg

The next step is to repair the muffler damage and some small dings in the decorative cover that covers the section under the right foot peg. The collector chamber under the frame will get sand blasted and repainted and a replacement center stand has been sourced from EBay as I had to cut an ear off the one I had to clear the Mac system. The muffler, front pipes and decorative cover will get ceramic coated shiny black which is as close to the oem black chrome as I can find.
    JagLite and G 981 like this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "tuneable" EMGO reverse cone mufflers are really loud and rhaspy. The original EMGO reverse cones with the perforated inner tube wrapped in fiberglass are better, and with a DB killer they're even better than that. BUT you immediately have to take them apart and really pack them correctly. The amount of fiberglass that comes in them is laughable.

That said, what would be best for this bike is a pair of Supertrapp megaphones with quiet core baffles. They are deep and bassy without being loud or obnoxious. They aren't cheap, but they look great and sound great.

[​IMG]

Charles.
  5. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of the black chrome on the factory pipe. Curious to see how closely the ceramic coating mimics it. Great looking bike. I've got a blue one sitting in my shop waiting for some attention one of these days
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started with the regular Emgo reverse cones and I agree the fiberglass wrap is the thickness of toilet paper at best. I like Supertrapp products I have one on my FT500, instead of buying more mufflers I might not be happy with, either sound or looks, I figured repairing the oem system would be better.

I have had ceramic coating done in the past, it looks good and stays a nice deep black but it's not as shiny as the original black chrome I'm not sure if anyone does black chrome anymore. Post some pics of the blue Ascot we only got red and black in Canada.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well honestly I think the 2-into-2 looks WAY better than stock. And also weighs a lot less.

All the Honda exhaust systems of that era are going to have problems with the inner tube (double wall exhaust) cracking, breaking bits out, rattling, and even plugging the downstream baffles. Honda V4 collectors were the worst, but they’re all bad.

Charles.
  8. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    the stock exhaust was one of the best features of this model imo.
    very muted with underlying power in the revs
  9. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here-in lies the noise problem. Four valve motors have a distinctive raspy, high pitched nasty sound. I had a 420cc XL-350 stroker that I drag raced. It ran a tuned open megaphone. The car racers tried to have me banned from the strip (Orlando Speed World) because of how loud it was. I set up a table in my pit with a box full of foam ear plugs with a sign that said "If my bike is too loud for you, here are some free ear plugs". The bike ran mid 12's, which was faster than most cars in those days.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent some time cleaning up the decorative covers two just needed a good clean up and some polish the long one under the foot peg needed some dents hammered out then some work with a file not finished yet but getting close. I also went through the carbs again and installed the factory jet sizes now the bike runs good with no flat spots or hesitation.

Factory Exhaust #5 Resize.jpg
    JagLite and kaput13 like this.
  11. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding a crossover tube between the two headers in front of the mufflers will help. An X pipe would be even better. Doing that lets the volume of both mufflers come into play on a single exhaust pulse. Depending on where the crossover is placed can also help with the torque produced as well. Harley has been doing this since the 1990's.
  12. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought about a crossover pipe or a two into one collector for the two header pipes into one muffler both would involve time and money with the outcome unknown. As I mentioned earlier I like the lines of the factory system so I decided to put the time and money into restoring the original system. The collector and header pipes will be dropped off for ceramic coating sometime this week and the replacement center stand is ready so that will be installed when the bike goes back on the lift.
  13. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent a few hours with a flat file and got the cover and muffler ready for ceramic coating.

IMG_0060 Resize.jpg IMG_0061 Resize.jpg IMG_0093 Resize.jpg

I had the collector box sand blasted and finished with a high temp powder coat, cleaned up the clamps and got some new muffler gaskets.

IMG_0094 Resize.jpg IMG_0095 Resize.jpg

I still need to get the muffler, cover and front pipes to the ceramic coater.
    TonyKZ1, AK650, JagLite and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up the exhaust parts from ceramic coating and got them installed last night along with a replacement center stand, not as shiny as I was hoping for you can see the difference between the original black chrome shield and the ceramic coating on the rear cylinder pipe. I had some carb bodies vapour blasted for another project so I had these exhaust collars done while I was there. Overall I'm happy with the results black chrome would have been nice but seems to be impossible to get done.

IMG_0160 Resize.jpg IMG_0161 Resize.jpg IMG_0162 Resize.jpg IMG_0163 Resize.jpg
  15. BuckoT

BuckoT n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks really great! I'm a long time Ascot fan and after lusting for many years finally bought one several years ago. I bought it as a restoration candidate but after giving it a good cleaning and some spit and polish, it was in way too nice a shape for a full restoration. Alas, my OEM exhaust looked like yours did. I've been awaiting the Holy Grail of a high-gloss, high-temp powder coat but still waiting with no signs on the horizon. I spay painted my exhaust with ceramic high-temp black and it's held up pretty well, but doesn't look as nice as yours. I'd be very interested to hear how well your exhaust stands up to the elements.

I have several bikes and the Ascot is by far the most fun of all of them. I'd get rid of all my other bikes before I got rid o it.
  16. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Great looking Ascot. I have always liked the v-twin Ascot. Friend of mine has one I could probably get cheap, as it won't run much above four grand. I suspect its the CDI or something with the ignition that will not "advance" the ignition timing for higher rpms.

One thing about the Ascot though, I have always felt the front fork rake is a bit lazy to produce the right look for a street tracker styled bike. Perhaps an offset triple tree set could adjust the fork leg angle to get a bit more steep?
  17. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    A swap to non-leading-axle forks would pull the wheel in, reduce trail, and quicken up the steering. I can't say how much high-speed stability might suffer, however.
  18. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the ceramic coating on the single wall FT header and it has held up great still looks like the day it was done keep in mind these are fair weather bikes that do not see rain and live in a garage. If you look at the pics of the collector box on the work bench this was done in a high temp powder coat, the coater did a single walled inline four header with this product and the owner reported it went a little gray a few inches from the head the rest of the system stayed black. With the oem Ascot system having double walled pipes the high temp powder coat might not discolor as much if at all.

The fork rake looks excessive but the bike seems to handle OK it doesn't feel any different than the other older bikes in the stable.
  19. vfxdog

vfxdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Santa Monica or London, depending on work.
    You've done a really great job. An Ascot is on my project list and I hope it ends up looking as good as yours.