Another Rookie Went to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 72 Yamaha RD350, Jan 3, 2020.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    radianrider likes this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    This was one of my favorite rides this summer.

3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Making my way along US-14 headed east into the Big Horn mountains.

4. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All alone on a great highway with beautiful scenery. Perfect day riding.

Rob
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I think that's what I liked most about riding the Big Horn Mountains - all of the scenery and none of the people. I could kill myself for not recording US-16 over the Big Horns on my westbound leg - I just didn't expect much. The Chief Joseph Highway didn't have any traffic to speak of but the Beartooth had as much as I care to deal with... yea, I know, I want the whole road to myself. But I essentially had that in the Big Horns. Conversely, it was wall-to-wall traffic (relatively speaking) in the Black Hills - I can't imagine what it's like during the Sturgis rally.

I know these videos are not particularly good quality - the camera angle is much lower than I want. But you never know what you have until you sit down to edit. I had never edited any video until just a few weeks ago. I work hard at not allowing the camera and recording to impose on the moment - that's a lot easier said than done. I have some ideas on how to vastly improve the quality in the future without a whole lot of expense or effort. If I can pull off a big ride in 2021 I think the video quality will be much better.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I'm not creating thumbnails for my videos. This cover picture might be a bit misleading, but rest assured it is a ride video through the Big Horn Mountains on the Big Horn Scenic Byway.

7. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've really enjoyed the videos Mike. Love the scenery and the roads. I'm picking up a Road King in a couple of months, so I have have also enjoyed the view from the cockpit. Thanks for sharing them.

Rob
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  8. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the Road King club when the day comes. I hope you find exactly what you are looking for in a RK.
    RJ44 likes this.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    RJ44 likes this.
  10. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    RJ44 likes this.
  11. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple more great videos. One of these days, I'll make my way west to ride these roads.

Rob
  12. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I like the angle--just need to get you to invest in a windshield without the bar in the middle!:lol3

Beautiful places to see. Have to admit...the RK seems like a good choice to go see stuff at a distance from home.

The only time I've spent in the Black Hills was a week before Sturgis. There were no empty roads anywhere.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I’m going to remove the crossbar. I’m fairly certain it is only cosmetic. If not, I’ll buy a second windshield and stack two with a seal around the edge. Fairly certain that will be stiff enough.

I’m shocked at how much I enjoy the RK. After surfing YT tonight I went to my own channel and watched a couple segments. It’s such a simple machine. I think it goes back to that original dream: I just want a smooth motorcycle I can ride as long as I want. Watching those segments made me regret not filming the AlCan (which is far easier said than done).

Someone recently said on a thread “the difference between riding a Harley and a BMW is the difference between sitting on your ass and sitting on your balls”. Apparently, I like sitting on my ass.

The RK isn’t the most attractive, the fastest, the best performing, or a whole lot of other things. But it is smooth and comfortable enough. And the truth is - it’s not totally dialed into my ergos - but it’s so good in certain aspects I’m afraid that I’d lose those if I tried to improve on the weak points.

I can look at Indians the way any man looks at an overly attractive woman: She’s gorgeous... but she could also kill you. I have Mary Ann in the shed. Why would I want to put up with Ginger’s bullshit.

I love the Black Hills but I don’t get everybody all having to be there all at the same time. It was more crowded this last trip in September than it was any other time I’ve been there - and I’ve been there on Fourth of July and numerous other times and June and July. Crazy.
    wobbly one likes this.
  14. wobbly one

wobbly one Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I am sure diggin' your videos RD - I think you may have stumbled upon the video equivalent of a stress ball. Well done!
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    @wobbly one: Thank you. That's the intent. Sit down, destress by just watching beautiful scenery go by.
  16. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Here's a song for those of you who are hoping to ride to Alaska in 2021.

Hogges likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I had to regenerate the last video because I forgot to color correct it. Here's the new link.

19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
  20. StephenG

StephenG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This ride report stuck a chord with me and I read it all the way through a couple of nights ago. As others have said, top-notch writing and storytelling. Thank you for sharing.