[Another]Tire Changing[thread]

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DRDude, Jul 17, 2006.

1. DRDude

DRDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm feeling like and idiot but that's another story.

I got a flat two weeks ago on my DR. I bought a new Kenda tire and put that on with new tube. The tire wasn't inflating, so I tried to force some air in at local gas station. Popped the tube, of course, and changed tube again. Also noticed that as this was my first ever motorcycle tire change, I beat the crap out of the tube, so it was a doomed mission. I put a new tube in and it's getting pinched under the tire, I think. Either way, the tire doesn't seem to be sitting well on the rim.
    :huh
    Also, I somehow got a flat at the MX track on dirt bike, still can't figure that one out, and changed that tire as well. Of course, it also is not holding air so I guess I did something to that one too.
    :huh
    So, any suggestions? Is this kind of thing normal when learning to change tires or should I come off the stick and pony up the money to get these done at the shop. I don't feel like giving up and am just hoping I need practice, and some helpful hints.

If your still reading this, I would truly appreciate any feedback.

Thank You

Chris
  2. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    Make sure there is some air in the tube so it hold a round shape while you fight the tire back on the rim....

I swapped out mine Saturday with nothing but the 12 and 8" motion pro irons and had no problems...my first mc tire swap ever...

The C858's are 4 ply so that does make it a lot easier...
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think the tube popped at the gas station. It had holes in it, very common problem. You are pinching the tube with the tire irons, more than likely. Pull that tube out and see how many little bite there are along the rim edge by putting some air in the tube after removing it. To avoid this, I put just enough air in the tube for it to take shape prior to mounting the second bead of the tire. Use amble soap and make double sure the tire iron pushes the tube away from the rim as you insert it each time. You could pop a dozen tubes, but at some point your technique will refine enough to know the difference between the right and wrong way to stuff that tire iron in there.

Best of luck, and don't give up!

-dubb
  4. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    How many people here have tried the TireSlime? http://www.slimesealant.com/

I was talking to Cannonshot at one of the rides and he swears by it. It would be real easy to pick up a thorn while DS'ing so I think i'll put it in all of my tubes. Better than changing a tube out in the middle of the woods.
  5. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    You're pinching the tube with the levers, as someone already said. Everyone has their own style, but I found that putting enough air in the tube to hold its donut shape (but no more) really helps. Also, work slow. Alos, NEVER but NEVER tweak the levers more than 90 degrees from the wheel--At 90 you ought to be able to push the tire down off the lever onto the rim, but there's very little possibility of the lever pinching the tube between it's tip and the rim. Once you start leveraging past 90 you're asking for it. Also, use only the tippy tip of the lever, no more than necessary, when installing the tire. And, while I find the curvy end useful in pulling the tires off, I find it's just dying to pinch tubes on the way back on... so I only use the straight end of installation.

And, of course: It's a bitch at first, but it gets a lot easier each time.

YMMV.

-Luke