Another Tool Tube for R12GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by jeffjbmw, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jeffjbmw

jeffjbmw Threadkiller

Oddometer:
    I have changed my storage from an Oxford Humpback to a Pelican 1300 case to hard mount to keep stuff locked and dry during rides, stops at restaurants and such. I decided to add a tool tube so that I can have a few things with me (GS911, tire plugging stuff, small took kit, tape, a few odds and ends). I looked at some designs and decided to use 4 inch PVC pipe with a cleanout end, and a cap. It is bigger than I thought.

I started by removing the hard mounts for the BMW system bags which I never will buy. Target spot with hard mounts removed:

[​IMG]

I reused the clamps from the hard mounts. Then I fabricated some brackets to hold the stainless hose clamps. Notice the order they are assembled:

[​IMG]

Here are the brackets mounted (I changed the angle later as you will see):

[​IMG]

And finally the tube mounted:

[​IMG]

I painted the tube with plastic paint and it doesn't stick all that well (as you can see). I don't mind the look. I will be riding with it this week to see if there are any hiccups, but I think it'll serve it purpose. I am going to review the various recommended tool kits and organize an abbreviated version.

I will land up traveling with a Wolfman Beta, Pelican 1300, Pelican 1090 Hardback (for the laptop) and the Tool Tube for storage.

Any suggestions, comments, etc are appreciated even if it is to say.......IT IS UGLY.....:rofl (I know it is)
  2. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I bet you can cram a lot of stuff in there! Only things I'd be worried about would be losing something down in there(can you get your hand down to the bottom?) and hanging my boot or pants on the hose clamps (might want to turn them under the tube a bit more).

Does spray-on bedliner material stick to PVC? I wonder if hosing it down with that stuff before you mounted it would make it quieter/give the hose clamps a bit more to bite into when you clamp them down. I guess the clamps are pretty tough, but they look a tad wimpy if you were to fill that whole tube with wrenches, pumps, widgets and screwdrivers. Wouldn't want that sucker to slide out of the clamps or pop off and get lost or wedge itself in your wheel at speed.

Nice idea, thanks for sharing!

Doug
  3. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug,
    One trick is to put all of your tools, etc.. in a large tube sock then slide the sock in with the open end (of the sock)facing up :D
  4. Dirty Bling

Dirty Bling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My tool tubes are 4"dia. thin wall pvc with a cap and screw on end .. very light.. mounted to the stock U hooks with SS hose clamps on the GSA pannier cases........bad pics here .... http://pbckt.com/sc.Y46 they can mount just about anywhere

Attached Files:

5. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. 802mike

802mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Vermont Gateway to The Green Mtns
    Nice idea!
    It's not as easy to find, but ABS is lighter than PVC and it's already black.
  7. Just_Jake

Just_Jake You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer:
    A lot of us have used the Agri tube. For $5, it can't be beat. It's light, durable, and can be made waterproof just by sealing a small hole (I used silicone).

[​IMG]

Mine is mounted much like above. I used coated clamps and a cut piece of aluminum bar to mount mine to the frame.
    [​IMG]

Stays pretty well out of sight with the pannier on.

[​IMG]

The Agri tube is about 3" in diameter. I have the stock tool bag inside, filled with a lot of tools. I have enough room to fill the tube's cap with wire, zip-ties, and a roll of Rescue Tape (GET SOME: http://www.rescuetape.com/).
  8. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't know why I was sweatin' the five bucks. I think I'll get half a dozen to have some spares.

Thanks for confirming the good deal.:super
  9. Clayburn

Clayburn Benjamun

Oddometer:
    Don.t waste your money on the agri supply 5 buck tool tube. Brittle and easy to break mounting points. One lasted 30 minutes on my XR650R offroad. Dropped one on concrete and it cracked like an egg. Ben
  10. Yellow Iron

Yellow Iron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to use a tube like this. the ones we use to store welding rods in
    Rod tubes are pretty durable and hold 10lbs of welding rod and waterproof and seal with an o ring
  11. jeffjbmw

jeffjbmw Threadkiller

Oddometer:
    And now a Mark II version.

[​IMG]

Using another inmate's suggestion, I found at Ace (it IS the place) some thin walled PVC, with thin wall cap and pressure plug. Weight savings, old clunky PVC 4 lbs. 2 oz. New thin wall PVC : 1 lb 10 oz.

I also prepped the surface for plastic paint with PVC cleaner. Apply with dabber in can. DO NOT WIPE!!!! Let dry. Paint thin coats. Sticks much better.